Old 14th February 2011, 02:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8363 TOG Silver Level Supporter

Default Daedalus mob spawn tower

Ok maybe not so much a tower as a big slab, but it works nonetheless
It's larger (area wise) than misniks tower, but lower:

You can find the tower by walking the walkway from spawn fortress (the one leading towards land, not towards the water. However just looking at the tower is not that interesting. If you want to actually use it, go to my base from spawn, there are several ways to get there, both a tunnel directly from spawn fortress and via misniks tunnel system. Then follow the signs inside that points towards "Spawn Tower", and then "Collect".

Here is the collector room:

Here is what the output can look like a good day:

Unfortunately it's not that good every day, but it happens

This is what it looks like on the inside (this is the first floor, there are actually only two, so with some more work it could get a lot more efficient.

Here are some screenshots from the basement and the actual killing machines (there are four of them, and 9 trap holes leading from the main tower feeding them):

Feel free to drop by and check it out. Take whatever you like, it produces plenty of stuff and if no one is there to collect it, it just goes to waste
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"

Last edited by DaedalusAlpha; 14th February 2011 at 03:00 AM.
DaedalusAlpha is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 14th February 2011, 10:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 2181

Dead

Lol, i just started making one of those my self

Nice work. Will definately check it out
Old 14th February 2011, 02:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Architect
Minecraft
Deadly - Post: 1667

Happy

Walked by when it was under construction. Looks nice.

Mine is mostly (90%) under ground, but certainly nowhere near as good/efficient as yours

Still don't quite understand the randomness/luck of the spawns. Somedays I walk into my collection room and stuff just comes pouring in, and other days will afk to eat dinner and won't get much of anything at all. Going to expand mine somewhat more as I still have more space to work with at the sub level im in.

(edit: omg want more uses for feathers have hundreds of them so far...)

I really like yours great job

Last edited by Misnik; 14th February 2011 at 02:49 PM.
Misnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2011, 04:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 57

Ooh! I gotta take a look. I'm in the planning stages of building an underground mob trap myself.

Misnik, yes there is a random aspect to mob spawning. It seems that although the mob spawn cap scales with the number of players online, it is also shared amongst all the online players. So it may be that you were unlucky to have most the mobs spawn near another player. This link tells you more than you would want to know about the current mob spawning algorithm:

Mob spawning algorithm in 1.2_01 analyzed
MMO ADD Casualties: CoH, EVE, WAR, LOTRO, CO, FE, AoC, DDO, Rift, SWTOR, GW2, TSW
Asymptote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2011, 05:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 57

I was finally able to log in, (the server is extremely laggy tonight), and was able to take a look. Its quite impressive. The drop rate is pretty good.
MMO ADD Casualties: CoH, EVE, WAR, LOTRO, CO, FE, AoC, DDO, Rift, SWTOR, GW2, TSW
Asymptote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2011, 08:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 98

Inspired

I stumbled across your spawn farm the other night too.
There was a missing chuck for me however, so I didn't get a chance to check it out before being attacked by a horde of spider.

I am however impressed by how much stuff it generates

Incidentally, It seems I'm not the only one exploiting nature procuring industrial sulfur these days...
isaac.retox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2011, 11:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asymptote View Post
Ooh! I gotta take a look. I'm in the planning stages of building an underground mob trap myself.

Misnik, yes there is a random aspect to mob spawning. It seems that although the mob spawn cap scales with the number of players online, it is also shared amongst all the online players. So it may be that you were unlucky to have most the mobs spawn near another player. This link tells you more than you would want to know about the current mob spawning algorithm:

Mob spawning algorithm in 1.2_01 analyzed
From that one can also conclude that mob spawn towers will be more effective during daytime and with many players online as there will be more mobs spawning, but fewer areas where they will be allowed to spawn.
GW2 characters:

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
Old 15th February 2011, 03:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Architect
Minecraft

Happy

I reprise my earlier statement on my little related project. It actually does have more above ground than I was thinking. Especially since, last night I shifted some blocks; and connected my old surface mob trap around my first house to the underground system. So all my drops go to one collection point now.

One of the main lines. Currently have 3 lines, Two single sided, and one double sided. Essentially a large half circle around my collection point.

My test kill structure on the creative server to see if I could do it before the servers went live originally. A bit easier to see than the live version atm.

The collection point. Found since connected to the surface that this style trap does not kill chickens...so had to add some pest control fires nearby.

One branch does have mini tower that goes straight up all the way to the surface with small collection levels at roughly every 5 blocks as well as a few above the surface in that little square building on the otherside of the skyroad from my main buildings. I stopped as I didn't want to ruin the skyline of the community mine hill which I started building a tower on top of >.>;;

My long term plans are to do a similar mini towers up as far as possible on each branch. Then knock out the side walls of the two single sided ones. But it works well for my uses as is right now.
Old 15th February 2011, 03:53 AM   #9 (permalink)

I was thinking when I checked out your tower; how far is the drop off point compared to the actual tower? The spawn algorithm prevents anything to spawn within a sphere with 25 block radius (I think) of you, so if you are close (directly below) your tower a lot of its "spawning power" will be removed simply by your presence.

As you can see in my tower I have a long deposit channel that runs at least 15-20 blocks outside my main tower.
GW2 characters:

Old 15th February 2011, 12:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Architect
Minecraft

Happy

I didn't do an exact measure. Its not meant to be super efficient. But I did read that awhile back. The main side branches start around 20. All three trunks go out to at least 50-60 atm. The vertical shaft that goes to new surface collection area is right about 50.

Having some closer spots has been handy for when just traveling through while working on buildings it keeps a lot of them from collecting around my house when I'm moving around.

If I ever make another one I do plan on something closer to yours.

Last edited by Misnik; 15th February 2011 at 01:23 PM.
Misnik is offline   Reply With Quote