Old 4th April 2011, 02:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1250

Amused
Default My Squid Aquarium

As there was a place near my settled home with 4 squids, I decided to build a glass enclosure below the pond they were in, and then break all the soil beneath the water to entrap them in an underground glassed enclosure, so I now have a Squid Aquarium.

They seem to stay there between sessions of playing which is good. However if killed I believe they will not respawn there.

Then my daughter discovered another lot of squids in deeper open water, so I jokingly said let's transport them to the Squidarium. Well after some thought I actually moved them around 100 to 150 blocks away and into my Aquarium. It should have ended up with 7 squids in my aquarium but alas I accidentally squashed one under sand while moving them.

I dug a channel all the way to my aquarium, but the main problem is that squids go to the lowest point in any water and then randomly swim at that level, but I needed to move them slightly uphill. I put half blocks where I wanted to make them go up one block, and then sort of go in the water and pushed up against them until they jumped up. It took me over an hour to move them but I got there in the end. Now a 6 squid aquarium, you can dive from the diving board into the water, swim with them, or view them from behind the glass.

I'll add some pics soon.

Cheers,
Max
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 4th April 2011, 03:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4025

Cheeky

Hahaha awesome! I'm impressed with your effort!

Apparently squid can swim down (and horizontally) but not up again... which is why they lurk down in the lowest part of the water... they can't get back up again.

Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2011, 04:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

Amused

Each time I moved them up a block they tried to swim back down, so I had to quickly block their path, and oopsied, by squashing one with sand lol, I now have some squid ink sac to go with the aquarium!

Oh and at one stage all squids disappeared, and was a bit peeved after all the effort, but fortunately when I logged out and in again they returned
Old 4th April 2011, 05:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Server Admin
Dangerous - Post: 674

Inspired

Niiice! I built a squid-trap too, although mine is more for ink harvesting purposes, but I would like to be able to show them off as well. I'll have to come and look at what you've done!
Old 5th April 2011, 11:03 AM   #5 (permalink)

Amused

I found a new lone squid a very long way from my aquarium, and spent over 90 minutes channeling it to my aquarium last night. When I got it there all the other squids weren't there. So I logged out and back in, and all (6) but the one I just spent 90+ minutes working on was there. That is I still had 6, rather than 7. It works in mysterious ways this game lol.
Old 5th April 2011, 02:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9195

I have seen creepers, spiders and sheep vanish in the distance whilst playing. I wouldn't spend so much effort on getting the squids into the aquarium. I believe that all spawned creatures have a limited lifetime. All you can do is try and make ideal scenarios for them to spawn them in. You can't expect them to "stay alive".

That is where the dogs are/will be different because they have a health bar that can be maintained by players and don't have a limited lifetime.

Sorontar

Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2011, 06:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8329 TOG Silver Level Supporter

Yes I would guess you have managed to build the aquarium on top of a typical spawning point for squids.
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2011, 10:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9195

I would rather say that you indeed *made* a typical spawning point for squids. It probably doesn't have many alternate mods in that chunk to spawn (I believe there is a limit of how many at one time, which is also influenced by the number of players in the chunk) and the depth of the water is probably perfect for them.

Sorontar

Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2011, 11:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

Amused

I tried once again to get a 7th squid in, and I drowned as it was inches from the pool. Came back and alas no 7th squid.

Did other things for a while, and later visited the aquarium, and there's been a new spawn of 4 more squids, totalling 10 swimming around at the moment. Who knows how many when I return tomorrow lol.
Old 5th April 2011, 11:32 PM   #10 (permalink)

Amused

More here