Old 16th September 2011, 01:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4009

Cheeky
Default The Birth of a New World! (pic heavy)

(I'll move this to the gallery in a few days, but I thought I'd post it here where it's more visible)

So... Last night we started on our new "Sanctuary" server. At about 8pm I got into mumble and found people eagerly awaiting the 8:30 release... so we spent the time trying out various world seeds in singleplayer while we waited for the server to be set up. Most of us seemed to like "SANCTUARy" - though the one Sorontar chose worked out brilliantly - lots of flat land, not in an alpine area (that's likely to be snowed once 1.9 comes), plenty of trees and space.

So he gave us the all clear to join, and we found we spawned underwater But only a few blocks from land, so that was ok.

I forgot to take a pic of where we spawned until night time, but it was here, about centre of the photo:

We had a hill and an area of marshland immediately apparent. Some set off exploring a bit (most exploring within the imposed limits, some being naughty and travelling out further). Some started farming wheat and looking for chickens.

First we levelled out the hill, to make a suitable spot for construction. We were a bit "lacking in direction" I'll say for a while, not knowing what to do, but then we got some roads and a bridge built, Bazz started on the foundations of a town hall on that levelled area and most people started building their abodes in the marshland area.

We decided to spawn some meat for everyone, since we needed food and the wheat wasn't ready

Someone set up a chicken farm - where eggs were thrown to try and propagate chickens - since they are a source of more eggs and can be farmed without risk of lowering the chicken population (unlike the other animals, which currently won't respawn once killed) ... oddly we kept getting sheep in there though. The use of an "airlock" gate system proved necessary to keep the chickens from escaping

So... more pics as the night went on:

The arrow points to a mine. You can see the front fence of Misnik's shop/garden. (this photo is taken facing spawn)

The water spawning point was covered and a bridge built to the residential area. Though we've since found out that people still spawn in water, so the land has been extended, but you may still spawn in water, so beware.

Misnik's shop/garden place.

Someone's garden and the start of my shop

People building their houses

(Misnik has some staffing issues..)

I was temporarily given the power to FLY! so I could take some overhead shots of our amazingly rapidly growing village.

Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 16th September 2011, 02:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Division Captain
Minecraft
Elite - Post: 2816

Grumpy

Taken from my roof.

Then I turned around and snapped moonrise over the villiage.
Irimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2011, 04:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Division Vice Captain
Team Fortress 2
Dangerous - Post: 912

Spawn village as of 2pm today.
We're continuing to grow at a rapid rate!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg day1.jpg (155.6 KB, 22 views)
Old 16th September 2011, 04:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9122

Is this spawn village or Smurfland? All those giant mushrooms seem to suggest the latter.

A reminder that your 15x15 has to include your personal garden, fencing or archways that you want for your residence. Beautification of paths and common land for the community is different.

Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2011, 04:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Guild Leader
Final Fantasy XIV
Lethal - Post: 5548 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Lurking

what about the giant mushroom on someone's house doesn't that breat the 10 high rule, lol

btw how do we cultivate hte mega mushies?
DarkDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2011, 05:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDuck View Post
what about the giant mushroom on someone's house doesn't that breat the 10 high rule, lol
Natural growing plants in your 15x15 are fine. It is unreasonable to control their height. Just make sure that they stay at least 3 blocks away from a path (horizontally or vertically) and other buildings. However, artificially constructed plants, like cactus towers or homemade treehouses, must obey the 10 block high rules.

And remember that the height starts at the ground/path level outside your house. You can't just elevate the land then build on the elevation, unless you include your elevation in the 10 blocks.

Sorontar,
who is starting to wonder if he needs to contact his town planning sister.

Old 16th September 2011, 05:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Server Admin
Dangerous - Post: 668

Inspired

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDuck View Post

btw how do we cultivate hte mega mushies?
Lol yeah.. Henri's place. Built 10 high and then put a tree ON TOP! lol! It looks cute though.

It needs bonemeal and red mushrooms. Though there might be a chance for them to grow that big anyhow.

Last edited by BlackD; 16th September 2011 at 05:58 PM.
BlackD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2011, 06:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 3660

Cynical

awesome piccies Obsi! that one where you got the lightning in the shot is brilliant!

"I am a Pantera's box you do not want to open" - Mr. Furious
Non Action Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2011, 08:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4009

Cheeky

Thank you

So what do the mushrooms do (other than look funky) - you can't eat them I presume? if you chop them down do they make oddly coloured placeable blocks?

Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2011, 08:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Soem pictures from me. Some aren't pretty but it is marking the occasion that is more important.

Some strange things did occur. I think the squids realised that this neighbourhood was no longer as quiet as it used to be, so they returned to their spaceship.

But the at the end of the day... a huge success.