Old 25th January 2012, 10:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9122

Default Australia Day Challenge - All day, Thursday 26th Jan 2012

On the Frontier server, an Aussie-flavoured challenge will be run throughout Australia's national day, 26th January. This will consist of a list of tasks and objectives, each with points. If you want to take on the challenge, we ask you to score yourself and post up pictures and commentary on how you went. There is no winner per se, just fun.

One of the challenges is to do your building and hunting within the area on Frontier mapped below (Togstralia) but you are welcome to do it in your own area. In Togstralia, stay in the tree-ed areas when building and mining. In order to minimise the affect on other players existing work, do not go beyond the desert at the top of the map, the river to the bottom or into the mountains to the right (not shown). As a hint, the forest down the bottom half of the map is fir, the top half is oak. I will give the coordinates later on Australia Day.

Each participant will also be given a starting set of items which they will place in an empty inventory. These items are in a chest near the portal at spawn. These items are:
  • a bed
  • 6 fish and 6 zombie meat
  • an iron pick and axe
  • bow and 20 arrows
  • 20 torches
  • a boat
The challenges (and how much they score)
  1. Tall ships - Locate and travel to the colonisation site (5 points, +5 bonus points of you do it by boat)
  2. Stake a claim - Place a bed at the colonisation site (5 points)
  3. Aboriginal masterpieces - Make a 10x10 wall piece of art using stone, yellow and red wool (10 points, +10 if you use sand or netherak instead of wool)
  4. Home among the gumtrees - make a building that has a verandah/porch with a chair on it, a rotary clothesline, and is surrounded by trees. (30 points)
  5. Fire up the Barbie - Cook 5 pork, 5 beef and 5 chickens. Make 5 bread (20 points).
  6. Didyabringyagrogalong - Store 6 buckets of milk in a dispenser (20 points)
  7. One with the land - Grow and maintain 10+ wheat plants (5 points)
  8. Load of bull - Fence in 5+ cows (can be bred) (20 points, +5 if you fill one bucket with milk)
  9. Fleeced - Fence in 5+ sheep (can be bred) (20 points, +5 for each colour in honour of multiculturism)
  10. Dropbear - Fence in and protect a zombie (20 points)
  11. Bunyip - Fence in and protect a creeper (50 points)
  12. Dingo - Tame a wolf (10 points, +5 if his kennel looks like a tent)
  13. Redback on the dunny - Capture a spider in an outside toilet shack (50 points)
  14. Tasmanian Tiger - Find Herobrine (500 points)
  15. Smelly Kelly - Find the burial place of Ned Kelly (20 points, +10 if you can take his iron helmet from him)
  16. Sinking feeling - Find a shipwreck (20 points, +10 if there is any treasure in the chest)
  17. Gold rush - Find a gold chest in a natural cave (20 points, +10 if it has any gold in it)
  18. Copycat - Recreate in any scale, an Australian landmark (70 points)
Anything you find or mine during this event can be kept or shared.

This event will run the entire day from midnight to midnight. We may turn the Frontier server off for a couple of hours during the night so that we can run the Ned Kelly Shootout on another world. It may depend on how many people are using Sanctuary and Frontier as to which one we turn off.

Don't forget the Aerogaard and happy colonising.

See ya later mate,

Sorontar
Attached Images
File Type: png Togstralia.png (25.7 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by Sorontar; 26th January 2012 at 12:45 AM.
Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 26th January 2012, 12:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

The OP has been updated. If we are running out of items in the challenge's supply chest at spawn, it can be restocked, but these items are only for use in the challenge. It is expected that you start with only these items in your inventory. After all, the First Fleet didn't come with Ikea on board. However, if any are left over in your inventory after the challenge, they can be kept by those who do the challenge.

The presumption is that people will use the beds to reset their spawning point during the challenge.

As I said in the OP, I will eventually tell you the coordinates of the site for those who are having difficulty finding in on the map at http://tog.swoit.as/mc6_frontier.

Sorontar

Old 26th January 2012, 01:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4009

Cheeky

LOL, sounds like an awesome challenge!

Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2012, 02:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8304 TOG Silver Level Supporter

So if you aren't allowed to go past the desert how are you going to find sand for challange 3?
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2012, 11:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Well there is sand in other places, and I did say "past the desert" so you can go into it. It is just that someone has their bed just past the desert so I am trying to not interrupt their work.

Sorontar

Old 26th January 2012, 01:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Well it looks like a number of people are trying their luck in Togstralia. I found a number of farms and buildings, one of which had a verandah and a rotary clothesline (but no chair on the vernadah!). The sunken ship has been found, but you get points for finding it yourself. The Gold chest and Kelly's resting place are untouched.

Sorontar

Old 26th January 2012, 02:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Guild Leader
Final Fantasy XIV
Lethal - Post: 5548 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Lurking

fyi I found hte ship wreck and took it's loots!!!

also if you die your stuff may just vanish, dunno why happened to me in the australian area!
DarkDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2012, 02:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Guild Leader
Final Fantasy XIV
Lethal - Post: 5548 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorontar View Post
Well it looks like a number of people are trying their luck in Togstralia. I found a number of farms and buildings, one of which had a verandah and a rotary clothesline (but no chair on the vernadah!). The sunken ship has been found, but you get points for finding it yourself. The Gold chest and Kelly's resting place are untouched.

Sorontar
Ship was my loot
The chair is on it's way, oh and when I was in there last, after much coersion and changing of my bleeden farm I had a pet

so far I claim
    1. Tall ships - Locate and travel to the colonisation site (5 points, +5 bonus points of you do it by boat)
    2. Stake a claim - Place a bed at the colonisation site (5 points)
    3. Aboriginal masterpieces - Make a 10x10 wall piece of art using stone, yellow and red wool (10 points, +10 if you use sand or netherak instead of wool)
    4. One with the land - Grow and maintain 10+ wheat plants (5 points)
    5. Load of bull - Fence in 5+ cows (can be bred) (20 points, +5 if you fill one bucket with milk)
    6. Fleeced - Fence in 5+ sheep (can be bred) (20 points, +5 for each colour in honour of multiculturism)
    7. Dropbear - Fence in and protect a zombie (20 points)
    8. Bunyip - Fence in and protect a creeper (50 points)
    9. Dingo - Tame a wolf (10 points, +5 if his kennel looks like a tent)
  1. Sinking feeling - Find a shipwreck (20 points, +10 if there is any treasure in the chest)
    1. Copycat - Recreate in any scale, an Australian landmark (70 points)
    1. so
270 (or 280 - there was an iron sword in the ships chest) points to me, not bad for an hour or so

Last edited by DarkDuck; 27th January 2012 at 07:20 AM. Reason: fixed formatting for tasks
DarkDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2012, 07:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Okay for the latecomers, the settlement is at x=770, z=-613, which is SE of spawn.

Sorontar

Old 26th January 2012, 11:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 663

Well we set out early in the morning with the best of intentions, but the best laid plans are always the first to go wrong. After a short sail across the ocean it was land ahoy!

After entering the bay and landing we felt welcomed,

Looking back out over the ocean a sunken ship was spied... what could be aboard? A team was sent to investigate.

Closer inspection showed that the treasure was well worth the effort.

As a storm began to close in and as night would soon be falling a shelter was quickly erected using age old mud brick methods.

Now we had somewhere warm and dry to setup camp and call this land colinised.

The next day was spent forraging in the forest and then in some nearby caves. Our efforts were richly rewarded with wheat seeds and enough iron to craft a crude bucket. We were now self sufficient.

The local wildlife was plentiful but the creepers were also travelling in packs and constantly leveling the mud hut. We needed something a bit more permanent and sturdy... something with a veranda and a seat.

Of course all this hard work left us needing a good clean so somewhere was needed to dry the clothes.

Finally we captured a local menace, the dropbear. We kept him for a number of days in a special enclosure but alas these creatures do not suffer captivity well and he died shortly after. Then enclosure stunk to much to bother cleaning it out.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Had fun trying to do this. Wanted to complete a lot more challenges but just didnt have the time, still felt I gave it a good go and uncovered a skeleton spawner in Togstralia that could be used for a mob trap one day.

Total score I believe: 80
Tall ships - 5+5 bonus
Stake a claim - 5
Home among the gumtrees - 30
One with the land - 5
Sinking feeling - 20+10 bonus

I really did keep that damn dropbear for a few days but he wasnt alive when I got around to the screenshot so I wont claim the points. Was really good fun Sor and I got a nice little bit of loot out of it so worth it