Old 15th July 2012, 05:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 617

Default Daos Castle

Well, 7 months after Frontier was started, I have finally managed to complete the outer structure for Daos Castle. The interior decoration will have to wait a bit as I will be mostly offline to help care for my new daughter born on July 4th.

In any case, I'd like to share what I have created so far.

After securing the area with walls and building farms, I surveyed the hill and made a topo map. I then used this to plan out the foundation and floor plan. I used Visio for the entire design process.

I went with a medieval fantasy castle theme, and based much of the design on Neuschwanstein Castle. The Grand library is the defining feature, and I spent a good deal of time making bookcases to beat the MC 1.3 deadline (when each book will require one leather). The castle is primarily made of smooth stone and stone brick, with cobble used only for the foundations.

I went through so many trees making charcoal and wood, that this entire forest south of me is planted from the saplings:

Here is the view of the completed castle as seen from the road to spawn. Unfortunately, most of the castle is occluded from this view.

View from the front.

Views from the sea:

Feel free to drop on by and take a look around. Just keep in mind that the inside is very spartan at this point.

Sooner or later, I'll be decorating the rooms, and I'll post pictures of those at that time.

-Brew

Old 15th July 2012, 06:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9272

I have been watching its development on the map. It looks very grand and purple. I'm sure it will get Obsi's approval for that.

And yes, slow and steady is sometimes the only way you can play this game. Set your own times. Set your own pace.

Sorontar

Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2012, 12:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 74

Cold

That looks amazing!

Trowzers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2012, 04:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 319

When I first started playing a month ago, I was amazed by all the cool things on the TOG servers. I did not know the /tp command for the first few days, and I had to run around trying to gather resources and run back to spawn before night came.

When I found out about /tp and looked at the map, I decided on a spot to start building on and ran for it. I headed south out of the spawn and came across your castle. I was shocked at how awesome it was. I didn't have any texture packs, and I was amazed at how well the structure and colors worked to make something so realistic.

Anyway, I spent too long looking at it, couldnt make it to the place on the map I wanted to get to, and I died.

Great job, even though it cost me a wooden pickaxe or two.
segreto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2012, 03:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks! As you can see from the screencaps, I use the default textures. For one, because I want what I build to look good in default, and two, this computer can't really handle the higher res packs.

I played around with several material combinations before settling on the smooth stone/stone brick combo. It looks much much better than the solid stone brick thing I built on world4.

You know, you would have been welcome to spend the night inside the castle walls. I light everything up enough that nothing should ever spawn inside.

-Brew
Old 11th November 2013, 03:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 36

Fine

OMG that is jaw dropping!! how long has it taken you so far?

My other haunt: Facebook vapetrades
Aristia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2013, 07:46 AM   #7 (permalink)

It took me about 8-9 months (I am very time limited) to get to where it is, and that was before child #2 came around. Now that I have two, my time is even more limited.
Old 12th November 2013, 09:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Division Captain
MechWarrior Online
Elite - Post: 3173

Amused

Nice work!!

MWO: White Bear 84 | Minecraft/Rust: white_bear_84 | BF3/BF4 - Fired_up_Bear84 | ESO: WhiteBear84 |

white_bear_84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2013, 10:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 36

Fine

In a year or so you can get them on there with you a castle built for family!

My other haunt: Facebook vapetrades
Aristia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 08:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Squad Leader
Squad Leader
Team Fortress 2
Deadly - Post: 2180

Fine

ahh so you built that, found that castle on my second visit to frontier... was freaking stunned lol