TOG Latest

Chris Roberts Recognises the Star Cit...

The rising interest in Star Citizen in TOG has gai...

Warthunder heard throughout TOG

The sounds of Warthunder is being heard throughout TOG

Dota 2 Release

DOTA2 Released.

Planetside 2 Release 20-Nov-2012 PST

The long awaited and critically acclaimed PlanetSi...

Division Latest

TOG MindCrack - Mining, Machines, Mag...

TOG's MindCrack Minecraft server offers all that's...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Machines and magic in Minecraft - 'Fe...

Over the vacation period, a "Feed The Beast" Mod p...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > MMORPG Games: The Realms

MMORPG Games: The Realms Public discussion forum for all MMORPG games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16th October 2004, 05:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 19

Default City of Heroes vs Lineage 2

Hey,
Basically I want to get one of these rpg's. I posted on GA, but I figure I'll have better luck here seeing as TOG plays both. I'd like the opinions of people that have one or the other, or both. Which one do you think is better, what do you love about it and what really annoys you ?

as a side note, I was actually joined TOG about a year ago probably, I just haven't been around since the Zero Hour division went kaput -=(
If its alright, I'd love to be able to joins one of these divisions depending on the game I get.
Lazar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 16th October 2004, 08:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 313

I can't comment on the differences between the two, but I can say that City of Heroes had one of the best technical implementations of a MMOG I have seen. Full collision detection was nice and the game was very stable and very pretty.

The major problem with CoH was the content, I lasted 2 months, and the last couple of sessions felt like a repeat of the first session. Maybe when City of Villians or more content is put in then it would be worth a look, but it's currently very shallow content-wise.

Happy to answer more indepth questions.
Nomisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2004, 02:04 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply mate. From what I've read in countless reviews, CoH is extremely fun but can get tedious 50-60 hours into the game, while L2 is relatively boring to start off, and when you hit level 20 the game truly opens up with lots of depth.
Old 17th October 2004, 08:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Administrator
Retired Admin
Guru - Post: 11561

You pretty much nailed it on the head Larz.

In L2 tho, the first 20 levels your just learning the game...so it really isn't that bad. It can still be tedious at higher levels...and very boring at times, but its a pretty cool game and the L2 div is rather large...meaning a great player base with toons of various levels so you can almost always get someone to group with, and or help you out.

Never been a comic book fan so CoH never appealed to me, nor have I played it, but almost everyone I know that has lasted about 2 months. Once the coolness of making the superhero's wears off there isn't much left I hear.
Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2004, 08:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
Retired Advisor
Retired Advisor
Elite - Post: 4820

Breezy

CoH is VERY fun for quite awhile. Right of the bat you start with various powers that you can use. No rat killing there. Lots of missions and powers. I have heard after awhile it becomes repetetive, but it has a good community also.

L2 has an EXTREME grind in the beginning. TOG has a great community nowadays for this game, so it probably won't be as bad as when we started. At the higher lvls, their are sieges,etc.

I guess the question is, do you plan on playing one of the bigger games in a couple of months like EQ2 or WoW?

If you are just looking for a filler game, I would recommend CoH over L2.

Or if you liked Zero Hour, Rome:Total War is a awesome game!

STEAM ID - karmajay

Karmajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2004, 11:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 399

Hmmm, I've played CoH, and am now playing L2, so I'll chip in on this one.

CoH is a lot of fun. It's kinda like somebody took Diablo2's gameplay and made it into a super hero game. Lots and lots of fast-paced action. Well, depending on your archetype and if you're solo or group. Overall a fun game, and if you can resist the urge to keep making new heros you'll get to see a lot of neat enemies. Otherwise you'll be fighting street thugs for weeks Downside to me: Nothing *but* beating on happless villains. Great game though if you only have little chunks of 30 minutes to an hour to play.

L2 is even less interesting on the PvE side of things. More monster variety, but they're even dumber and there's less story "fluff" to read. But, full PvP! Even CoV(illians) will not have that. And castle seiges! From seiges in Shadowbane, I can already tell that sort of thing is a total blast (for me). At least, long as the other side shows up to fight anyway. And with only 5 castles to fight over, I'd say they will in L2. A lot. Downside? Takes a while to get there in levels. Bigger overall time commitment on this one.

Which is more for you? <shrug> no idea. But that's the games in a nutshell from my experience. Hope it helps
TGBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2004, 03:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies. I already ordered Lineage 2 and it arrived on my desk today. Its been updating for the past hour :/
Old 20th October 2004, 12:24 AM   #8 (permalink)
Retired Administrator
Retired Admin
Guru - Post: 11561

well get on Ventrillo when you get into the game so we can help you out some. Can be difficult to figure out what the hell is going on when you first log in...and where/what to hunt etc.
Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2004, 02:34 AM   #9 (permalink)

I'm a dark elf warrior, specializing with the bow and have been playing on the bartz server. Level 7 or 8 atm
Old 20th October 2004, 08:19 AM   #10 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1446 TOG Gold Level Supporter

Cynical

If you want to play with us fellow TOGers we are all locateed on the Lionna server.
Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote