Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > MMORPG Games: The Realms

MMORPG Games: The Realms Public discussion forum for all MMORPG games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28th July 2010, 07:21 AM   #101 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4190

Early 2011 I believe. I'll be playing FFXIV in the mean time.

Old 28th July 2010, 06:12 PM   #102 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 2757

Buzzed

Will this game be as grindy as Aion?
solarbear88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2010, 09:02 PM   #103 (permalink)

Yes.

lol I have no idea, but it is a possibility. I am hoping the content range is broad enough that we don't get stuck repeating things over and over.
I don't actually mind taking months to get somewhere, but dislike being unable to log on for 30minutes and do something effective in getting me closer to that next level... Spending 15 minutes or so organising a group, getting everyone in the same area then having to log off is not fun. Not a lot of info is available yet, and I think it will be very much a wait and see approach, much like any game after release.
Old 28th July 2010, 09:57 PM   #104 (permalink)

Buzzed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snott View Post
Yes.

lol I have no idea, but it is a possibility. I am hoping the content range is broad enough that we don't get stuck repeating things over and over.
I don't actually mind taking months to get somewhere, but dislike being unable to log on for 30minutes and do something effective in getting me closer to that next level... Spending 15 minutes or so organising a group, getting everyone in the same area then having to log off is not fun. Not a lot of info is available yet, and I think it will be very much a wait and see approach, much like any game after release.
IMHO Aion was too grindy. Every aspect of the game, even the fun aspects, were turned into a grind. I don't mind taking time at each level so long as there is fun content - when I played Warhammer I took as long as I could in each tier to enjoy the PVP areas since I enjoyed the T1-3 pvp content so much - but Aion would take a fun thing like say Mist Mane and turn it into a grind... run it 20 times to get a pair of boots, 30 more times for pants, etc... Last time I logged in there was not much happening and about the most worthwhile thing to do was go and grind Lepharists. After a bout five minutes I thought to myself, "WTF am I doing this for? Its not fun." And I logged out forever. I decided then and there that a heavy grind was not my cup of tea.

WOW, before TBC, maybe had the best 'progression' I have seen in an MMO. After TBC it became too easy.

Last edited by solarbear88; 28th July 2010 at 09:59 PM.
Old 28th July 2010, 10:09 PM   #105 (permalink)

A agree, in WAR I didnt really wan to level too fast incase I missed something. I forgot about that
Old 30th July 2010, 01:00 AM   #106 (permalink)

Buzzed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snott View Post
A agree, in WAR I didnt really wan to level too fast incase I missed something. I forgot about that
I liked to level out of each tier by killing a Bright Wizard and then turning into a chicken. Was able to pull it off 2 out of 3 times.
Old 30th July 2010, 09:53 AM   #107 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 3198

Psychedelic

Personally wow killed any enjoyment i have of fantasy mmos in the future but this one does look quite interesting, so i might bite the bullet and give this one ago
Xavien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2010, 08:05 PM   #108 (permalink)

Default Nerds Forced To Leave Comic Con After Playing TERA For Six Straight Hours

Terafans - Nerds Forced To Leave Comic Con After Playing TERA For Six Straight Hours

Quote:

That’s right, six hours with hardly a bathroom break. While hanging out with the guys at En Masse to talk about the latest news they had recently announced about their highly anticipated true-action MMO TERA, I was alerted to the fact that these two guys had been playing the game non-stop all day. As the convention was coming to a close, they refused to leave the terminal, so naturally, I interviewed them!!

From this point on, the guy in the blue shall be referred to as Nerd 1, and the guy in black as Nerd 2. While conducting this interview, these guys did not stop playing the game for one second, or even take their eyes off the screen . . . even the guy who wasn’t playing.

DO: Somone told me that there’s been two guys on this console all day, is that you!?

Nerd2: Haha well, we we’re playing together but they made me move so this kid could get on, so now I’m just watching him play.

Nerd1: But yah, we’ve been here since like 11am

DO: Wow, that’s hardcore . . . so what MMOs have you played before and why are you so into TERA right now?

Nerd1: Well, I played World of Warcraft for years, thats pretty much the only one, and I’m into TERA right now because for PvP and PvE it’s more skill based.

DO: So you mean its not just pressing buttons in a rotation and waiting for cooldowns?

Nerd1: Yah, in WoW I’m basically my friends personal healer. I heal by pressing a button and spinning in a pretty circle. Here, I actually have to aim my heals and dodge attacks and get into the battle.

DO: Interesting, How else is it better than WoW? I played WoW for almost five years, and only now is it starting to feel old

Nerd1: I still like WoW, but these graphics are amazing, the environment, all the races and classes too, its very well balanced

Nerd 2: Its beautiful, its perfectly rendered

Nerd1: I also like how the PvE monsters follow your every move. They actually will watch you jump, they try to encircle and flank you, the AI is no joke. Also, this game takes skill, you can almost solo a boss by yourself if your that good

DO: So the AI is actually proper? They don’t just path and go through the motions?

Nerd1: Exactly, TERA is skill based while WoW is all about gear and rotation and group comp. In TERA theres no need for a gearscore and having to get geared. There’s no way to get carrried by pressing 2 buttons here, you have to get involved and be skillful. You actually have to get in there, it feels real, your not just going through the motions

DO: Absolutely, I can see you’re really into it (I LoL to myself)

Nerd1: Hell yea, the collision detection is awesome, everything is just awesome, I can’t wait for it to come out

Awesome indeed. So awesome that I even filmed these guys playing TERA for a few minutes, enjoy.

So, do you agree? Is TERA the future of MMO’s while games like WoW are the past? Only time will tell, but no matter what you think, it looks like TERA is the real deal.

Last edited by Snott; 1st August 2010 at 08:08 PM.
Snott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2010, 08:11 PM   #109 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 2649

Goofy

6 hours? I guess its not bad for a convention...
Bort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2010, 08:47 PM   #110 (permalink)

Buzzed

6 hours. Standing at that!... Too funny.

Looked like he was 1 shotting everything... LOL

Last edited by solarbear88; 1st August 2010 at 08:50 PM.

Tags
mmo, tera