TOG Latest

Chris Roberts Recognises the Star Cit...

The rising interest in Star Citizen in TOG has gai...

Warthunder heard throughout TOG

The sounds of Warthunder is being heard throughout TOG

Dota 2 Release

DOTA2 Released.

Planetside 2 Release 20-Nov-2012 PST

The long awaited and critically acclaimed PlanetSi...

Division Latest

TOG MindCrack - Mining, Machines, Mag...

TOG's MindCrack Minecraft server offers all that's...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Machines and magic in Minecraft - 'Fe...

Over the vacation period, a "Feed The Beast" Mod p...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > MMORPG Games: The Realms

MMORPG Games: The Realms Public discussion forum for all MMORPG games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19th September 2009, 09:05 PM   #11 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Retired Captain
Crusade Officer
Elder Scrolls Online
Elite - Post: 3538

Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reoh View Post
I want to see ragdoll physics in mmorpgs, works well in FPS'. Ever noticed how in mmorpgs when you get knocked back by explosions/abilities you do the same "Fall down" action, no matter which direction you're being knocked.

The problem with ragdoll physics in MMORPG's is the amount of data which needs to be sent back and forth for everyone to see the same thing.

Mortal Online actually has ragdoll physics, but only for the dead/dying. They overcome the data transfer issue by doing all ragdoll rendering client side. This means everyone sees their own representation of what happens when a player/mob dies, but it is much more fluid/realistic. It works well as once something is dead, we dont really much care what it does, so tracking it isnt an issue

But yeah, more dynamic and fluid reactions rather than generic death X is certainly gonna make games more immersive

Flint

Old 20th September 2009, 04:56 PM   #12 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 2023

Yeah I recon the actual responses IN the battle is cool..
Like when you get hit hard you actually get pushed back and so forth.
Rather than just both slashing at each other and seeing no response to the attacks.
also actual response to your directional slash is more immersive, rather than a standard fall-down /knockdown/knock-back animation sort a thing.

would like to see when your nearly dead a knockout rather from alive and kicking to instant death - obviously losing your head or stab in the heart that would be appropriate, but otherwise you would just exhaust and collapse. Then your team mate could rescue you wile your unconscious on the battle field sort a thing.

Even if this won't be a succes it's bound that all mmo's following will incorporate the good parts of all these innovations from different mmo's coming out.
Looking good for the future of gaming.
Old 22nd September 2009, 02:04 PM   #13 (permalink)
Spammer - Post: 25461

Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintwick View Post
The problem with ragdoll physics in MMORPG's is the amount of data which needs to be sent back and forth for everyone to see the same thing.

Mortal Online actually has ragdoll physics, but only for the dead/dying. They overcome the data transfer issue by doing all ragdoll rendering client side. This means everyone sees their own representation of what happens when a player/mob dies, but it is much more fluid/realistic. It works well as once something is dead, we dont really much care what it does, so tracking it isnt an issue

But yeah, more dynamic and fluid reactions rather than generic death X is certainly gonna make games more immersive

Flint
Why would we all have to see the same thing? Just let the client side process that info like Mortal Online is there, that's exactly what I meant. Dont' need more bandwidth being hogged up to lag things hehehehe (if they want to enable it, or not for lower end systems).

We need you, Citizen!
Reoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 09:28 PM   #14 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captains
Elite - Post: 3842

Amused

funny I didn't notice this thread earlier, probably the WOW thing made me pass it by but it does look really good. It looks like there is formation combat in that last sequence although it might be hirelings or conjured assistants. I will definitely give it a go.
brohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 02:10 PM   #15 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Squad Officer
Left 4 Dead
Lethal - Post: 7433

Yeehaw

Still not there yet IMO. Not for melee type combat. It needs to be tighter, and by that I mean like God of War or Marvel: Ultimate Alliance beat-em-up type stuff with combos and grabs and counters and so on.

Last edited by Drac; 24th September 2009 at 02:14 PM.
Drac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2009, 03:58 AM   #16 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1249

Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by brohawk View Post
funny I didn't notice this thread earlier, probably the WOW thing made me pass it by but it does look really good. It looks like there is formation combat in that last sequence although it might be hirelings or conjured assistants. I will definitely give it a go.
It does look impressive indeed but the one thing that makes me a bit worried is "Collision Detection".

Valdur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2009, 06:06 AM   #17 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captains
Elite - Post: 3842

Amused

personally I think collision detection is a good thing... but then I still play AoC
brohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2009, 06:17 AM   #18 (permalink)

Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by brohawk View Post
personally I think collision detection is a good thing... but then I still play AoC
I like it too when it's well implemented because I don't have fond memories of collision detection in WAR .

Old 25th September 2009, 09:11 PM   #19 (permalink)
Spammer - Post: 25461

Amused

I prefer collision detection.

lets you be more strategic with stuff like blocking exits and ramps etc.

We need you, Citizen!
Reoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 03:18 AM   #20 (permalink)

Dead

YouTube - TERA: CBT 2nd Teaser 720p

The animations are impressive

Tags
mmo, tera