Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > MMORPG Games: The Realms

MMORPG Games: The Realms Public discussion forum for all MMORPG games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12th May 2009, 03:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Spammer - Post: 25469

Amused
Default DC Universe stuff *2010*

I swear there was a DC universe thread here already, but I couldn't find it. Went back a whole years worth of threads! Anyhow, turns out this game may be released sooner than I thought, according to a new Kotaku review, late 2009 to early 2010!

Kotaku - DC Universe Online Preview: Doomsday Smack Down - DC Universe Online

We need you, Citizen!

Last edited by Reoh; 5th June 2009 at 06:57 PM.
Reoh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 16th May 2009, 01:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 302

Devilish

Pick up cars and pole and use them, WOW. The game is very early in its development so I'm sure, at least I hope, the graphics will improve. They better take notes from Champions. I'll be watching closely at this one.

I hate to say it but CoH is not the only cat in town now. I'm curious as to how all this will unfold.
"To Clone, or not to Clone: that is the question: Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer The Lasers and Bombs of outrageous fortune, Or to take arms against a sea of Banes, And by opposing end them? To die: to sleep; No more; and by a sleep to say we end The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks That flesh is heir to, 'tis a consummation Devoutly to be wish'd. To die, to sleep; To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub; For in that sleep of death what dreams may come When we have shuffled off this mortal coil"
"The fair Sarah! Warrior, in thy Orisons Be all my sins remember'd."
DragonLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2009, 04:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Amused

DC sounds like it might have a better pvp heroes vs villains dynamic, which champsions was lacking (unless they pull a CoV expansion at a later date, bleh to them if they do for releasing half a game again).

We need you, Citizen!
Old 26th May 2009, 11:56 AM   #4 (permalink)

Amused

G4 interview with gameplay.

They say we'll have hands-on previews at Comic-con coming up!

DC Universe Online Interview Videos - G4tv.com

We need you, Citizen!
Old 26th May 2009, 12:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 658

Sad

Well as far as a release date , I believe in a interview (i'll see if i can find a link to it)
that DCUO has been pushed back to 2010 which i think is smart as it allows to polish the game more and get more content in

As far as the pvp dynamics i am very curious about that and i think the best option for world pvp is given the option to flag ourselves . There has been talk about battlegrounds pvp which some want for more organized pvp but anyways battlegrounds means instanced and well you know where i stand with that .

At any rate there is also the SOE Fan faire which i hear is the next big thing for dcuo stuff and interviews
merwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2009, 01:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 935 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Lurking

Actually, the one thing I NEVER want to try in another MMO is faction vs faction PVP. CO's friendly hero vs hero 'training exercises' and complete lack of playable villains is one of its major selling points for me.

If DCU lets PCs be villains, then that's one more MMO I won't bother with.

Currently: @T-Hawk in Champions Online & Star Trek Online
Formerly: Jarlath & Weyland in WoW, Gyllannon in EQ2

Last edited by Lurker37; 26th May 2009 at 01:56 PM.
Lurker37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2009, 02:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Squad Officer
Left 4 Dead
Lethal - Post: 7437

Yeehaw

It's interesting to see the different opinions about PvP. Everyone seems to have a different take on it. Some people love brutal open non-consensual PvP contests with lots of risk involved, others enjoy a more controlled PvP areas/zones or opt-in forms of PvP, some people just outright hate it.

I think MMO developers are doomed no matter what they do, the player base will always fracture themselves over this issue. End level raiding is something I also see a lot of contention about, some people want really hard end level content, they want to play the hell out of the game and reap hard-to-get rewards for it, but others want a more leveled or fair and ballanced casual friendly system.

What I'm most interested about with this game is how they plan to design their MMO to be playable with a controller. Looking at vidoes and screenshots of Champions Online you can see evidence of different ideas for making their game 360 friendly, but you'll probably also notice they've abandoned some of those UI elements over time and are focusing on the PC stuff a lot more right now.

Last edited by Drac; 26th May 2009 at 02:36 PM.
Drac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2009, 04:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

Sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker37 View Post
Actually, the one thing I NEVER want to try in another MMO is faction vs faction PVP. CO's friendly hero vs hero 'training exercises' and complete lack of playable villains is one of its major selling points for me.

If DCU lets PCs be villains, then that's one more MMO I won't bother with.
Well you are entitled to your opinion and view on pvp and villains , But for me having the options to play heroes and villains is a must , I don't know why cryptic decided to go with a nemesis system for CO when you look at comic books and video games that super heroes needs villians to create mischief and just like villains need heroes to chase and bring them to justice .

And to be honest i though cryptic studios would of learn from their past mistakes in city of heroes where the same playerbase that will be moving from coh/cov to CO had asked for pvp and cryptic not only made pvp zones that were hardley used and still are to this but they also devoted one entire feature to the collssus arena which was hardley ever used for any sort of pvp .

Given the fact that their going with what seems the same approach makes me believe that cryptic has not learned from their past failures includeing that their not making villains another faction makes me believe that DC will be more appealing then CO but again i don't expect everyone to agree with me
Old 26th May 2009, 05:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Squad Officer
Left 4 Dead
Lethal - Post: 7437

Yeehaw

I wouldn't write off PvP in CO as being exactly like CoX until you've actually tried it.
Drac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2009, 08:45 PM   #10 (permalink)

Sad

And i could very well say don't knock the pvp for dcuo until you get a chance to try it . In terms of the CO pvp here's a link NYCC '09 Champions Online Video Q&A with Bill Roper | Ten Ton Hammer
regarding the pvp features and nemesis system CO will have .

The only difference i have seen that distances CO and its arena pvp from CoX is actually leaderboard rankings and statistics ,

Based on what was said in that interview , The arena In CO in terms of presentation is basically what Cox had in terms of pvp and aside from that the pvp zones cause i had started play Cox back in november of 04 not too long before the colossus arena came out which where you could fight against other heroes in .

I will change my stance on the pvp in CO when i actually see evidence of it being different compared to what was in CoX , And Just because i haven't had a chance to get into the beta for CO and actually experience this .

it's the interviews that regarding what pvp will be implemented at launch for CO have actually made up my mind not to sign up for the beta for Co and buy a copy when it's released because again i had hopes that cryptic had learned from it's past mistakes in cox and would actually input some meaningful pvp and not boring reptitive content At any such rate it makes me looking forward much more to DCUO .