Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > MMORPG Games: The Realms

MMORPG Games: The Realms Public discussion forum for all MMORPG games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29th May 2009, 02:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Spammer - Post: 25473

Amused
Default Getting beyond 'hack and slash'

Here's an excellent article about many things I would like to see in game, getting beyond 'just the hack and slash' and giving players more options. Devs, if you want your game to stand out from the menagerie then these things can help.

Combat Alternatives Bio Break

We need you, Citizen!
Reoh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 30th May 2009, 01:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captains
Elite - Post: 3842

Amused

Personally I like combat, however I really wish AOC would implement a chariot racing arena ala Ben Hur, now that would be awesome!!!
brohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2009, 02:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 664

Sad

Aye i'm glad were starting to see more devs trying to break the trend of the endless hack and slash we have seen for the last 10 years it feels like lol .

Personally i think were starting to see a light at the end of the tunnel closer everyday with so many different genre style mmorpgs coming out next year

From scifi we have : Star Trek Online , Star wars The old Republic , Earthrise , Jumpgate evolution , Black Prophecy and star gate worlds and global agenda. i know there are some chances that we may not see earthrise and stargate worlds but justs eeing that many potential space scifi mmo's on the horizon in the next few years gives me alot of hope

And as for the super hero department we have right now Champions Online , DC Universe Online and rumor has it we still may see a marvel online mmo by 2012

and then we have finally a new mmo in modern times um the agency i believe .

I think the times are suggesting we won't see as many hack and slash mmo's for a few more years and i for one ain't complaining hehe

Well actually if there any more hack and slash mmo's i want to see i've been holding out that maybe someday someine will pick up the ip for gods and heroes that hack/slash rome mmo and last i remember rumor had it that a company was making a mmo for the scifi warhammer game

So all in all i hope the future for mmo's gets better cause plain and simple folks we need more variety
merwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2009, 02:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

Amused

Dont' get me wrong, I quite enjoy my combat. I just prefer well rounded games that give me other options, because doing the same thing every day (cough - daily quests - cough) would be like eating the same meal everyday. Even if it was your favorite, you're going to get sick of it eventually!

We need you, Citizen!
Old 30th May 2009, 10:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captains

Amused

that is what alts are for, so you don't get bored with one type of combat.
Old 30th May 2009, 11:40 AM   #6 (permalink)

Amused

Yeah but most combat is like being a factory worker. Press buttons in order, 1,3,2,3,1,5,2.

*rinse repeat*

We need you, Citizen!
Old 30th May 2009, 01:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captains

Amused

true, but that is why I like AoC, you have more buttons to push
Old 30th May 2009, 01:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

Amused

Thats funny, because the highlight of playing AoC for me was having the "climbing" skill. =P

oh... and a close second were the fatalities.

We need you, Citizen!
Old 30th May 2009, 02:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captains

Amused

I love fatalities!!!
Old 30th May 2009, 02:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by brohawk View Post
I love fatalities!!!
There was an article I read recently that commented how stupid it was that every time you died, you fell to your knees and clutched your heart. You might have died from a fireball, a giant monster biting you, or an arrow to the chest... you always had the same death motion. Silly isn't it? Fatalities were great not just because of the 'gruesome death' but because they actually made "sense" to the way the target died.

We need you, Citizen!