The Older Gamers Forums

The Older Gamers Forums (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/)
-   MMORPG Games: The Realms (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/mmorpg-games-realms/)
-   -   World of Darkness (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/mmorpg-games-realms/295473-world-darkness.html)

Reoh 23rd April 2010 10:47 PM

World of Darkness

CCP Games (makers of EVE Online) are going to be producing a new World of Darkness MMORPG in Georgia, based on the gameverse created by White Wolf (who recently merged with CCP Games).

Some of you may have already caught the clothing physics demo that CCP recently released (shown below) which hints at the level of detail, and how character models may appear in the game.

I won't pretend to know much about this gameverse, but to my understanding anyone familiar with the Underworld series of movies recently (vampires vs lycans) and modern gothic undertones could use them for a basic grasp of what to expect.

Source - MMORPG.com

Keddle 26th April 2010 02:48 PM

I hope that they do this well because it's a rich game world. It will be interesting to see their take on it. I'm not sure that I'm very excited that it's that group who is working with it but hopefully they'll do well. I think they've got a good grasp of the world making for it but as far as the aesthetic qualities they leave a lot to be desired.

Ludy 26th April 2010 06:31 PM

I honestly am excited because it is CCP that is making it. Eve went from being a small niche game to being the second most successful MMO on the market. Yes in dollar figures only WoW beats it. They make a great sandbox game that is fairly open to multiple game styles. I will buy any game they make in the future. (Yes I am a fanboy:D) It is far better that CCP is making it than Atari, Cryptic, Sony, or anything even close to EA.

The clothing demo is quite good for an early look. The hair and clothing bounce and flow correctly.

King_Rocket 26th April 2010 07:41 PM

Does anyone know of the depth of this? Is this truly a WoD game or will it include the expansions/other games set in the WoD, Like VtM?

fantomas 26th April 2010 10:09 PM

CCP and White Wolf "merged" back in 2006, over 3 years ago. At the time it was announced that they'd already started working on a WoD MMO. As to which of the supernatural creatures will be playable, who knows, information has been extremely limited.

Interesting to note that Mark ReinĚHagen, one of the founders of White Wolf and the main creator of the original World of Darkness stuff lives in Georgia. He sold his part of WW a couple of years ago. Haven't seen any stuff out from him in a while.

-=Krusty=- 26th April 2010 10:29 PM

I heard this was console only. Is that true?

Mesar 27th April 2010 09:26 AM

That's some extremely cool movement effects.

I'm not sure how well WoD is going to translate into a MMO. I was involved in Vampire LARPing in the 90s and what was so interesting about it is that combat played a distant second place to politicking, role-play... and dresses, hot goth chicks in dresses....

So what do you do in an MMO where there is very little combat, resource gathering, or artefact building? I would agree that EvE is an excellent example of a political game but very few people play at that level, the vast majority are playing an economy or PvP game.

Reoh 27th April 2010 11:20 AM

Well you have to wonder whether they're going to make it anything like Eve at all. They might try something compeltely different, just to make sure they're not cutting into their Eve clientel, but rather drawing new ones from the rest of the market.

As for details on what is in/out, AFAIK there've been no real releases about that.

Mesar 27th April 2010 12:18 PM

But that's my point Reoh.

The World of Darkness IP doesn't really suit traditional MMO models, it doesn't suit dungeon crawls or killing thousands of rats or building things and selling them or resource gathering.

The pen-and-paper Vampire: The Masquerade sold extremely well because there wasn't very much combat, and it allowed many alternative paths to common goals. It got girls into role-playing because political skills where prized over brute force solutions.

The old game Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines is a pretty good indicator of where the game could go and is an excellent port of the IP. But this is a highly scripted single player RPG with multiple progression paths based upon player choices.

If they just wanted to do a Vampire Wars MMO, they didn't need the WoD IP to do it in. So if CCP are going to try to re-create the WoD setting, how do you get people to role-play or at least play a political game?

Reoh 27th April 2010 12:47 PM

I think the answer to that, would be they'd probably make the version of the game that will sell the most copies. It's a business after all.