Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > MMORPG Games: The Realms

MMORPG Games: The Realms Public discussion forum for all MMORPG games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16th November 2012, 05:37 AM   #21 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 25

@flintwick I did some research on one my guild's website and we've been talking about Embers from a long time back, well over a year, havne't heard a peep since then, so I guess I did hear about it, just didn't remember it, looked over the website and vision and yeah I hate to say it, but I've heard it before, but if you can pull it off, I'd pay $30 a month for that mofo
boomer0901 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 16th November 2012, 10:13 PM   #22 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Retired Captain
Guild Officer
Elder Scrolls Online
Elite - Post: 3555

Tired

Yup, we've heard it all before too, and also been dissappointed every time... which is another reason why we started the project
Old 17th November 2012, 02:28 AM   #23 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 3284

Cheerful

Good topic.

IMHO - these days MMOs require a massive amount of time, energy and money to make. Most, if not all, developers cannot gamble and create something unique and original in fear that it may fail, so, we have a landscape where developers create an MMO with a tweak or two and claim to be breaking the mold; i.e. SWTOR, RIFT, GW2, TERA, etc., each game claims to be breaking new ground, but they're only offering a slight tweak on the tried and true formula. The same can be seen in single-player games where each year we're bombarded with sequels, again, its less risky then developing a new IP with no known fan base.

I think if we're going to see a fresh and new MMO it won't come from a mega-developer, it will come from a small start-up, or one person, think Minecraft.

So, you couple the fact that developers do not want to take big risks add in a jaded MMO community and you have what we have today = stale games.

ArcheAge:Nekusar:Primeval
Trimethicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2012, 10:03 AM   #24 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 624

Mellow

Like probably a few of you here, I like to game hop...few months of Wow to level and gear up my characters, over to Lotro for a bit, GW2, sometimes still AOC, EQ2 and Eve. By the time I'm getting bored with one, I can be sure that somewhere else a bunch of new content had been added.

Without mixing things up all the time, I could not have fun playing MMOs anymore. The magic and the novelty of the early days are gone, but the fun doesn't have to be. And, interestingly, the same friends from 7-8 years ago keep making similar circles(though usually slightly smaller than me).

Gaming to me is about having fun without any sense of commitment these days. A casual raid or battlegrounds with friends Friday night, a couple of drinks, and giving the whole thing a break for 3-4 days.

No longer do I invest hours and hours of hard core play to feel a sense of accomplishment. I've found my balance and I'm happy. I appreciate all the choices out there and add single player games into the mix, there is enough gaming content out there to last me another lifetime.
Old 17th November 2012, 11:39 AM   #25 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 6

Wow honestly i think your wayyyyyy off base and verry pessimistic. actually never has their been more mmo's with 7 digits memberships. so wow you really couldnt be more off base. also GW2 and TSW both are amazing examples of different but awesome. And LOTRO is alove and kicking big time and is still an amazing mmo. Even AOC has refreshed ists membership base. I dont think there has ever been a better time for mmo's. now that there isnt just one big guy(wow)
Manahotep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 02:21 AM   #26 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Architect
Minecraft
Deadly - Post: 1667

Happy

Would say thats correct and also incorrect at the same time. It reminds me of the statement some folks make whnever a new game comes out things like will this be a WoW killer. The reason I have a problem with that is WoW hasn't killed any other games. EQ, Lineage, UO etc are all still going in some fashion and they still have player bases; so WoW has never killed them.

The simple fact of the matter is most of these titles are funded by investors who unless they see a return on their money and all they can see is WoWs numbers. As was mentioned earlier in this thread even wow had to crawl its way up to where it is now. When they came on the scene Lineage I had already hit 3 mill accounts users, and Lineage 2 had just hit 2mill accounts. FFXI and many many other games were going strong.

Just reminds me to the difference in perception, as I know many Toggers and 'western' players despise AION and call it a complete failure. When in truth its actually the first major title that has actually show a direct drop in WoWs numbers, and is still one of the few games today that has accounts over 1mill; which is a very small club.

Completely agree there are a lot of choices if people look. I actually (before my gaming pc died >.<;; ) got some old friends who don't like mmos to try DDO. And they loved it.

But still have to say sandboxes do seem to be the next sort of thing, or even a hybrid of the two. Heres an interesting chart for example:

That steady growing tight blue line is Eve. That chart also shows the rush and drop that mmo experience these days if you look at Age of Conan and Warhammer on there. Huge spike and massive drop just a few months later as people move on.
Old 19th November 2012, 03:53 AM   #27 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 25

to bad they don't have SWTOR on there, another game that went straight up and less than 6 month's later went straight down, and the reason I don't think I'm being pessimistic about this is, look at how many of those go straight up and straight back down within a year, you don't have GW2, or SWTOR on there otherwise you could add 2 more. That is why ppl are frustrated is they keep buying crap and it shows in the numbers, you can see some of the older more popular games go on for years even with sub 500k numbers, it's the big name MMO's that go up and drop like a rock that is pissing ppl off. I'm done buying huge MMO retail subs on these things, getting tired of wasting my money on crap theme parks

As much as I hate theme parks, you can still have fun with them if they are unique in some way, but nothing has since wow.
boomer0901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 08:28 AM   #28 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Architect
Minecraft
Deadly - Post: 1667

Happy

the person who makes those hasn't released a new version, but has said its being worked on an updated vers.

Though swtor did go over 1mil so its on another chart thats only mmos between 150k and 1mill. Can see the other charts @ MMO Data
Old 19th November 2012, 09:07 AM   #29 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1408 TOG Gold Level Supporter

Sneaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer0901 View Post
to bad they don't have SWTOR on there, another game that went straight up and less than 6 month's later went straight down, and the reason I don't think I'm being pessimistic about this is, look at how many of those go straight up and straight back down within a year, you don't have GW2, or SWTOR on there otherwise you could add 2 more. That is why ppl are frustrated is they keep buying crap and it shows in the numbers, you can see some of the older more popular games go on for years even with sub 500k numbers, it's the big name MMO's that go up and drop like a rock that is pissing ppl off. I'm done buying huge MMO retail subs on these things, getting tired of wasting my money on crap theme parks

As much as I hate theme parks, you can still have fun with them if they are unique in some way, but nothing has since wow.
The common theme for the big fails is hype. They are overhyped to hell, the raise expectation and when the product comes in, it may well be enjoyable or a good game in it's own right but it's not enough to match your expectations...

Most MMO's jump the shark before they come out of beta these days, it just takes time for people to understand that. SWTOR certainly did.

Asmodai aka Saviourself aka Stabbitha aka Azshadoria... or Azsh... Azshaz?
Asmodai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 12:16 PM   #30 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 391 TOG Silver Level Supporter

Devilish

I'm really enjoying this discussion

I think it comes down to what you as an individual are looking for in a game.
I'm looking for a rich virtual world where I can play with friends. Killing 10 rats is still a hoot for me if I can laugh about it with friends.

And just because the title matches: MMO Week in Review: No, the MMORPG is not dead | Massively
PotBS: Peregrine Lee
Many faces, many worlds, always me.

margali13 is offline   Reply With Quote