Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > MMORPG Games: The Realms

MMORPG Games: The Realms Public discussion forum for all MMORPG games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19th November 2012, 12:24 PM   #31 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 2647

Goofy

I cant believe Second Life is still that popular (looking at the chart)

Hype and expectation certainly gets you initially into these games. I was caught up in SW myself. Lots of mates playing, even the ones who swore they would never play an mmo again - that SW license was a pretty big worm on a hook

But then eventually I just feel like I'm running between groups of bad guys and hitting the same keys, over and over. I'm speaking here about any mmo - although that feeling really hit hard for SW for me.

And now gw2 has lost my interest. Its not that its a bad game (far from it), but it doesnt seem all that different.

Tera gets brownie points for the lack of tab-targetting - but the quests were just awful...
Bort is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 19th November 2012, 12:48 PM   #32 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 2936 TOG Gold Level Supporter

Cheerful

Developers sometimes try new things, but the 'crowd' rarely want to try, even if they've complained about the lack of different content for ages. Or they try, and complain about... what I would call strange things (shooting an assault rifle in TSW doesn't feel 'realistic'? go play BF3).
xenoph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2012, 09:49 AM   #33 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 2755

Buzzed

Because of development costs, developers are only trying tried and true formulas. Pretty much all of them copy WOW. I didn't like WOW, I guess this is why most MMO's lose me after a few months.

----------------
Have you ever really wanted to be a total rebel flipping tables on the enemy? - Vi themesong LOL
solarbear88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2012, 06:42 PM   #34 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 83

Buzzed

I think I'll be having fun in GW 2 for probably the next couple years, depending on their expansions. But I agree with the OP that there are no MMOs on the horizon that remotely interest me. Elder scrolls would be amazing as multiplayer, but as a button mashing MMO? Not so much.
Old 21st November 2012, 12:22 AM   #35 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 25

@sgt that is my fear with Elder as well, it's hard to keep the same feel in an MMO vs single player, plus sync issues with real time hacking and slashing, that always tends to lead to a lot of butt-hurt pvp.
boomer0901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2012, 02:42 AM   #36 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 44

TBH since everquest 1, game content has been in decline for me.. Sure the graphics are nicer now, but take away that and its raid, raid, raid. Or a grind. These companies just don't seem to get that your friends simply are not on all the time. And this is the content that isn't really available anymore. Stuff to do by yourself that's fun and meaningful, instead of kill 9 rats and run back to a npc.
d222222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2012, 02:44 AM   #37 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 44

Skyrim is a blast , the only other single person game I play is civ 5.
d222222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2012, 08:59 AM   #38 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1619

Amused

If mmo's are dead then Elder Scrolls online is going to be in trouble.
Old 21st November 2012, 10:11 AM   #39 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1407 TOG Gold Level Supporter

Sneaky

MMO's can be entirely "successful" (ie. make money and have a loyal fanbase) without needing to beat WoW (or emulate it).

Take Eve Online. The ultimate in niche titles, a space game with a learning curve described as:

And yet CCP games are making plenty of money, they have a loyal fanbase, significant concurrency in a persistent online game etc.

The secret is that they aren't trying to beat anyone, they are just making a game to appeal to a specific market. It's a sandbox and the human drama is an important part of it, much like Star Wars Galaxies. (I still boggle at that scam run by a merc corp years ago to essentially destroy one of the biggest powers in the game at the time...).

The possibly good news is that with crowdfunding/kickstarts starting to turn up some pretty big cash, game companies may actually realise that there are enormous markets available who don't just want retread pieces of crap, who will support titles that take a risk or appeal to a more specific audience.

Asmodai aka Saviourself aka Stabbitha aka Azshadoria... or Azsh... Azshaz?
Asmodai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2012, 11:53 AM   #40 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Retired Captain
Guild Officer
Elder Scrolls Online
Elite - Post: 3552

Tired

An interesting article on just this subject:

Star Wars' Stumble Points to Free, Open Future for Online Worlds | Game|Life | Wired.com