Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > MMORPG Games: The Realms

MMORPG Games: The Realms Public discussion forum for all MMORPG games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21st November 2012, 02:19 PM   #41 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 2755

Buzzed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintwick View Post
Been reading good things about Everquest Next. Be interesting to see what that game turns into.

----------------
Have you ever really wanted to be a total rebel flipping tables on the enemy? - Vi themesong LOL
solarbear88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 21st November 2012, 08:44 PM   #42 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Retired Captain
Guild Officer
Elder Scrolls Online
Elite - Post: 3558

Tired

You have? where? I haven't really seen much of anything other than Smedley coming out at SOE live a couple of weeks ago saying they had thrown everything they had been working on for EQ Next away, and are starting over with a sandbox game heh.
Old 22nd November 2012, 10:31 AM   #43 (permalink)

Buzzed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintwick View Post
You have? where? I haven't really seen much of anything other than Smedley coming out at SOE live a couple of weeks ago saying they had thrown everything they had been working on for EQ Next away, and are starting over with a sandbox game heh.
Just that. That they were changing the focus from theme park to sandbox. Be interesting to see how this label develops. Its nice that one of the major studios is taking this approach to its big game. I have enough WOW clones to play as it is. I need something different.

----------------
Have you ever really wanted to be a total rebel flipping tables on the enemy? - Vi themesong LOL
Old 22nd November 2012, 10:37 AM   #44 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 25

after reading that article, the sad part is, it took them this long to figure it out? wow and not that WoW.
boomer0901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2012, 12:32 PM   #45 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 2396 TOG Gold Level Supporter

Relaxed

I don't think MMO's are dead. I wrote a long message as to why that was the case, then realised that my reasons were garbage, so I'm going with pure emotion and aggression. No, that's stupid, I'm going to delete it OH MY GOD I"M STUCK IN A STREAM OF CONSCIOUSNESS FEEDBACK LOOP AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH
simontoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2012, 04:28 PM   #46 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1457 TOG Gold Level Supporter

Sneaky

It's pretty simple and no one should take it personally if I think MMO's as a genre are stagnating if not dying, if you enjoy what you play for whatever reason, that's awesome.

I just need a bit more from the experience than what the likes of TOR or TSW have offered. It was fun while it lasted but it's getting to the point where I play some MMO's like a SP game, "finish" it and quit (ie. accomplish most of the content that I'm able to).

Asmodai aka Saviourself aka Stabbitha aka Azshadoria... or Azsh... Azshaz?
Asmodai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2012, 09:42 AM   #47 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1393

Mellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodai View Post
It's pretty simple and no one should take it personally if I think MMO's as a genre are stagnating if not dying, if you enjoy what you play for whatever reason, that's awesome..
That is the nice simple way of saying it.

I don't think anyone who's arguing that they're dead is suggesting there are no paying customers and that numbers are not growing. Financial ruin of the major players is not likely.

I think the Genre is dead the same way Hollywood is dead, they are just re-hashing all the old stuff.

People are still talking about the next great thing that's going to revolutionize the Genre, but this has been going on for years, and all the past next greatest things have fallen either by the wayside or into mediocrity.

Like most gamers, I've had all the ideas for the next great MMO, but when I've thought them through, they will not work.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Brootal666
Brootal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2012, 11:22 AM   #48 (permalink)
Correspondent
Correspondent
Competent - Post: 469

Fine

I think in terms of MMOs there are now two camps - the camp that goes for the big initial $ and hence invests heavily... these generally don't stray too far from the generic template, just innovate around the edges (eg GW2). Then there's the sandboxes, which are more speculative and hence developed by Indy start-ups, like Mortal, Darkfall etc. Even EvE was made by an Indy start up. None of the major houses could get such a concept through their approval processes, because they are just too speculative.

In terms of sandboxes, the new Darkfall Unholy Wars looks very promising. They've gotten rid of the grind, changed all the mechanics and fixed their GUI. Hopefully this fills the void, because I feel the same as most here - the MMO landscape, and the gaming landscape in general, is sadly lacking any innovation at present.
Max Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2012, 11:42 AM   #49 (permalink)

Buzzed

I think they will continue to stagnate until the costs of developing a game come down. Let's face it, no one wants to invest $300m in a game. It has to have massive appeal to be successful. As such no one wants to take any risks. All the games are currently a copy of WOW.

If they can come up with a very stable universal engine that companies can create games for at a much lower cost, then you will start to see variety. As it is the engines are all pretty troublesome and require way to much programming to get them functioning. For example, GW2 still has not fixed many of their rendering issues plaguing WvW. WHO was always clunky. Aion, invisible armies of name tags anyone.

The next wave of games that really take off might even include player developed content and be smaller worlds. No one size fits all. People want different types of content. I could see a big market for people being able to design their own worlds and play a similar ruleset with like minded people.

----------------
Old 27th November 2012, 01:14 PM   #50 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1464

Psychedelic

I think MMOs are just moving out of the development age and finding their groove. I've been a musician since I started playing back in the late seventies and have been caught up in every new thing from funk, to arena rock, to punk, to metal, to grunge, etc. But I've also always loved jazz, which was basically 'dead' well before I was born.

There's nothing you can bring to the form that hasn't been done before. It's a road well traveled. Yet you can still go out and see a hot jazz act pop up that can give you the time of your life grooving with a crowd to old sounds with a new enough twist and a good bit of enthusiasm to make it worth the experience.

These days remind me a bit of the mid to late nineties, when it seemed like single player games didn't have anywhere to go, and then the next decade hit!