Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > MMORPG Games: The Realms

MMORPG Games: The Realms Public discussion forum for all MMORPG games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11th December 2012, 07:52 AM   #71 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 655

Sad

I've been playing video games since I was in diapers lol. and I had so much fun up until 2010.

I agree that mmo's just aren't the same anymore . Guild wars 2 and the secret world was my last hope. Yes I still look for a mmo that can be fun and rewarding and be innovative , but I think the reality for me is that mmo's have literally run it's course for me .

I still think the best mmo's that ever existed was daoc , eq , swg and a few others.
those games had amazing innovation and other great things. But in the last 8-9 years in my experience , the communities aren't the same anymore , every game now is just a grindfest to me and it just doesn't hold my attention;

I also think what ruined the mmo's experience for me , was when wow basically streamlined mmo's. before wow came out mmo's was a rare and unique and niche . Since wow came out , the mmo market has become more of a business thing , where it has become more about money than about making good quality games .

But for what it's worth I still enjoy being with the older gamers .
I'm already looking at starting new hobbies. In the beginning for the new year my girlfriend and I are going to a conservatory for private lessons. She's taking keyboard lessons and I'm goign with classical guitar lessons. I think it will be fun for both of us and this hobby will challenge us.

I think the only thing I will be doing , that is relative to gaming is, just mention my wonderful experiences and memories .
merwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11th December 2012, 01:04 PM   #72 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 1

i really enjoy action mmorpg xd
guistella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2012, 03:31 AM   #73 (permalink)
Lethal - Post: 6615

Grumpy

I do not see me buying another MMO to play - I will still buy Warcraft expansions only because I have all the Collectors Editions and i like the boxes.

I have spent around 300+ on MMO's during the last year with SWTOR, MOP and GW2 with all of them being a disappointment.

I think the gnere is just lost on me now - I am stuck remembering how good Warcraft was those first couple of years and that feeling is never coming back.

If and when Titan is released i may return but for now I am just going to have to close the book.
Old 12th December 2012, 10:58 AM   #74 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 3351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawheidbob View Post
I think the gnere is just lost on me now - I am stuck remembering how good Warcraft was those first couple of years and that feeling is never coming back.
I think that's a similar story for allot of people, particularly older gamers like us. Funny thing is, younger gamers probably think the current mmo's are the bees knees and don't realise how good things used to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoKharma View Post
God that C4 is annoying
Juganort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2012, 11:07 AM   #75 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 2744

Buzzed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juganort View Post
I think that's a similar story for allot of people, particularly older gamers like us. Funny thing is, younger gamers probably think the current mmo's are the bees knees and don't realise how good things used to be.
I think the current crop of games are very much on rails. Everything from class design to pve content is on rails. I remember my first online game we'd all meet in town and the question would be "So where to?" And off we would go to do an area. Developers now control where you go by having strong incentivies to do one activity over an other. And there is often only one Best thing you coudl be doing.

I miss the days of "So where to?"

I also loved when you came up with a character concept no one else was using. I thought I might get this in Rift. But basically they only made a handful of skills useful so only a few builds were viable. It was a farce.

I miss the days of "A Bard - Blackguard... WTH? Does it work?"

----------------
Have you ever really wanted to be a total rebel flipping tables on the enemy? - Vi themesong LOL
solarbear88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2012, 11:53 AM   #76 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 743

Tired

I am not a big fan of the Tera/GW2 model of MMO I actually like to be able to type occasionally when I am fighting and am not enjoying the dodge/evade roll mechanics either. To me it kills the social aspect of the game, having to disengage combat to chat. I know teamspeak is available as an alternative but it also limits the social aspects. 50 folks can type in guild chat but only one can talk at a time on TS.

What I miss most about MMOs is that feeling of epic questing or actual achievment when you had to really do some work to achieve something. Yes I know its a game but by the time I got my epics in EQ I had met 100s of new people, grouped up to achieve a lot of goals and had made a lot of friends who I still stay in touch with many years later. While there was plenty of solo content around you acheived more as a member of a team. Nowadays most games make it easier to level solo with very few benifits to being a group member.

I also cannot believe how fast the levelling process is these days.

I guess it all comes down to the Dev'S having to cater for the "I want it now crowd".

"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Zamok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2012, 05:30 PM   #77 (permalink)
Seraki

My problem with MMOs these days is that there is a homogenized format they are all falling into even if its not at start up and they almost swear they are not going to do it. Personally I think marketing just thinks the public are idiots and treat us like it.

I dont want to play the same game with new and better skin, I want to play a different game where I don't get faction, upgrades and improvement exactly the same way I did it in 2005.
Old 13th December 2012, 02:58 AM   #78 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamok View Post
I am not a big fan of the Tera/GW2 model of MMO I actually like to be able to type occasionally when I am fighting and am not enjoying the dodge/evade roll mechanics either. To me it kills the social aspect of the game, having to disengage combat to chat. I know teamspeak is available as an alternative but it also limits the social aspects. 50 folks can type in guild chat but only one can talk at a time on TS.

What I miss most about MMOs is that feeling of epic questing or actual achievment when you had to really do some work to achieve something. Yes I know its a game but by the time I got my epics in EQ I had met 100s of new people, grouped up to achieve a lot of goals and had made a lot of friends who I still stay in touch with many years later. While there was plenty of solo content around you acheived more as a member of a team. Nowadays most games make it easier to level solo with very few benifits to being a group member.

I also cannot believe how fast the levelling process is these days.

I guess it all comes down to the Dev'S having to cater for the "I want it now crowd".
amen
boomer0901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2012, 03:53 AM   #79 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1286

Psychedelic

The Secret World requires an amount of dedication along the lines of classic EQ, and they just announced that they are going free, so that might be a good option!

I personally play Vanguard myself now that it is free for the same reason: challenge and community. In Telon, the entire server is practically one community.
Old 20th December 2012, 09:24 AM   #80 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 2

is still alive!!!
topgtop is offline   Reply With Quote