Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > MMORPG Games: The Realms

MMORPG Games: The Realms Public discussion forum for all MMORPG games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13th November 2012, 05:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 25

Default are MMO's dead or is just me?

This is have been plaguing me for years now, is it just me or is the MMO truly a thing of the past, I haven't seen an innovative MMO in years, most that I have played in the last 6 have been variations of a previous design with maybe a slight twist. Or maybe I'm just tired of the grinding and feeling like nothing is getting accomplished.

Just seems to me MMO's are going backwards and ppl are just satisfied with that and I don't feel a sense of community in the games anymore, the last MMO I played and still play once in a while is GW2, I just haven't felt the game like I did gw1.

Maybe I'm just getting older and more senile, but I just think they are taking MMO's down a path I don't want to follow, everything is achievement based now, you've explored the whole region you unlocked a title type of crap. Does nothing for your game or your community it's a worthless title, I call it ohhh, look shiny object syndrome.

Thoughts???
boomer0901 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 13th November 2012, 06:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Squad Leader
Squad Leader
Destiny
Competent - Post: 485

Relaxed

In recent years I too have felt the decline and dissappointment from recent MMOs and the current ones I play. Part of it is that yah I am getting older and busier since I started teaching fitness classes along with my main job as an IT Manager while raising a family. The sense of community to me is fading away as I can remember during Wrath of the Lich King the raiding guild I was with I had a great time with. I even met three of them in person for the first time which was new for me to come face to face with people I only met off the internet.

As time went on those of us in that guild went our way from WoW or can no longer play at the level use to. For me MMO games can really only hold me if the community is strong. When I was living in Oklahoma I got hooked on Lord of the Rings Online before it's F2P model and that was purely because of the kinship. Once I moved to Japan though sadly I could no longer keep ties with them due to the sheer time difference and thus stopped playing after a few months. Since dedicating time for a MMO was limited to me now I have to rely on the mechanics of the game to keep me interested. Since then I have yet to really find one that really holds me and thus I see myself hoping from one MMO game to another.

Since my roots of SWG, WoW, LOTRO I have tried nearly all MMOs up to today and have yet to find one that I can really grasp to. I doubt I will ever stop trying as old habits die hard but will likely start ignoring new ones that don't have appeal for me.

Funny though that video gaming started with single player games then moved to multiplayer, then MMO. To only be slowly heading back to multiplayer (shooters mostly) and now diving back into single player games (Assassin's Creed series and Skyrim).

Anyone else going full circle?
Old 13th November 2012, 09:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thank god I hope they all would be heading back to single player games, this has been another decline for me, single player games with useless MP in them, takes away from what could be a great single player game with say 20+hours of gameplay reduced to say maybe 4-6hours due to there crappy MP mode. You notice zelda and metroid don't have MP's, GOW, Darksiders all great single players game, NO MP, I wish these gaming companies would get a clue, think about how much better transformers war for cybertron would have been if they scrapped the MP, you could probably name off at least 20. If they are going back to single player I hope they do it right at least
Old 13th November 2012, 09:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1384

Mellow

I agree with the sentiments, although I don't think it's confined to MMOs.

GW2 really showed it to me, painful as it was running back and forth for side quests, the GW2 streamlined system showed me the inovations just lead to more grinding and ticking the box. EVE online was probably the best MMO experience I had and that was more to do with who I was playing with and what we were doing, after that fell apart the game was just an empty shell.

I'm kinda tempted to go back to SWTOR when it goes FTP, just to play it as a single player game.

Single player games are not much better, FPS games are identical to what they were 10 years ago, RPGs are dominated by cookie cutter storylines and "options", Strategy games, we're still playing civilization after 20 years, 30 if you played the board game. Tactical, XCom is just released and probably the best about for a while, and it's a remake from the wayback machine.

Even the Indy games are now junk, a couple of years ago there was some good stuff being released, but too many people got on the bandwagon and everyone realised there could be big money in indie games, so now we're flooded with crap from hopeful wannabes that are just knock offs of other games anyway.

Now days I'm mostly just iracing, which I'm treating more like a hobby than gaming, and a bit of multiplayer minecraft with the kids, mostly just to entertain them.

Everything else I may as well just go watch Rocky XXVII or something at the movies for the same amount of entertainment (PS I hate movies, zero entertainment value).

Perhaps I am just getting too old for gaming.

Rant over

http://www.youtube.com/user/Brootal666
Brootal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2012, 03:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1328

I agree with most things being said here and it rings pretty true to me. I have not been able to recapture the early magic of Everquest and other games back then. Classic WoW was pretty damn good too.

I am back playing WoW (I go back every 2 expansions and max a character). It is still a solid game, but lacks the necessity of a community.

I have one example that does NOT fit into the problems discussed on this thread: Minecraft!

Minecraft is a game changer. Innovative, creative, great community aspect, and a blast. I am taking a break from it right now, but I always go back with new ideas
Old 14th November 2012, 03:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1422

Psychedelic

I think this is the best time ever for gaming! I'm excited by what I hear about Darkfall Unholy Wars, Archeage and Neverwinter just to name a few. Sure, you can never recapture the feeling of your first few games any more than you can recapture your first love of the first time you saw Star Wars. That said, if you put those insurmountable expectations behind you, there's lots of fun to be had.
Old 14th November 2012, 04:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Guild Leader
Architect
Minecraft
Deadly - Post: 1667

Happy

I agree with a lot of whats been said, and will also add what is expected in any new mmo is skewed by what people see in older established mmos. To use WoW as an example, when it started there were no raids, when raids came in you couldn't do much without 3rd party programs because the games system was non-existent or unusable. Overtime they got past that and developed over years of patches and expansions. Now with new MMOs they are put up to the example of an established game on day one, and when they don't live up to that they leave.

Its been interesting that game like EVE and Minecraft being sandboxes have the reverse happen to them where it starts low and moves up.

Nice discussion about some of that in this presention:
Old 14th November 2012, 10:49 AM   #8 (permalink)

I really wanted to get into Eve, but I was told by just about anyone that I've ever asked, don't bother unless you started out a long time ago, takes to long to catch up to the current system apparantly. But yeah I would love it if MMO's would take to the sandbox, but with the exception of eve on a large scale, haven't followed darkfall since it's inception, but xyson, mortal failed miserably, what else is there? No one is willing to risk a possible failure anymore hence why everything has been like wow since 2004, makes me sick, when did we as gamers get to be so generic?

@tacyon, I know what ya mean, I really try not to let the past influence the new, but I feel it's really been aweful, I think it's the big companies making these games now, just like starwars going back the original plus the new ones, once lucas started putting the starswars logo on everything and anything, it kind of made me sick to my stomach, is there nothing he wouldn't do to sully the name of starwars, lets face it, the last 10 years haven't been knocking down the doors for real starwars fans, more failures than success's. Same could be said for these companies, they just make me ill and that breeds a lot of contempt on my part.

I want companies to be successful and make money so they can produce better and more affordable products, but I feel it's been the other way around, they've been selling more expensive broken products and ppl keep buying it, with the exception of SWTOR and GW2, I have not paid over $10.00 for a game, I refuse to give my hard earned money to some of these clowns, like ubisoft (who makes some of the damn boringist games I've ever played) and (EA) or aka the empire. Sorry just my thoughts, rant off
Old 14th November 2012, 09:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1384

Mellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer0901 View Post
I really wanted to get into Eve, but I was told by just about anyone that I've ever asked, don't bother unless you started out a long time ago, takes to long to catch up to the current system apparantly.
That's not really how Eve works, As it's a sandbox and one that's been running a long time, sure there's always people out there who are likely to be better at stuff than you are, but EVE is about setting your own goals, making what you want of it. If you're thinking of going into it and being the best combat pilot in the game, probably what 90% of people thought joining it, then yea, you've got a long long road ahead of you, but you can go in there and be a trader, or set yourself up as a recruitment agent, or whatever else you can imagine. It's about setting yourself achievable goals and working towards them.

As I said, to me it was about the guys I was flying with, and the little stories that came out of it. But when that fell apart, there was no 'Game' to actually play. Sandbox Games are no more games than a box of LEGO bricks is, the game is what you play, the software is just a tool, like a cardboard box is to the kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dday_0612
I have one example that does NOT fit into the problems discussed on this thread: Minecraft!

Minecraft is a game changer. Innovative, creative, great community aspect, and a blast. I am taking a break from it right now, but I always go back with new ideas
I wouldn't say Minecraft is any of those things, minecraft is a toy, and as a toy it can help people find their own Creativity and build their own community. This is not anything new, these are things that are within the players, and have generally been destroyed over the last 20 years of developments and commercialization.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Brootal666
Brootal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2012, 06:54 AM   #10 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Guild Leader
Architect
Minecraft
Deadly - Post: 1667

Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer0901 View Post
No one is willing to risk a possible failure anymore hence why everything has been like wow since 2004, makes me sick, when did we as gamers get to be so generic?
Its still a long while out, but the Pathfinder MMO is looking like it will fit into this spot. A fantasy based sandbox mmo with a lot of different themepark elements and game play styles. To prove to their investors there was a market for it they did a kickstarter campaign; and hit their goal within nearly the first 24 hours. I could be off but I think they asked for 50k for proof and got close to 300k.

Its one am glancing at from time to time. https://goblinworks.com/