Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > MMORPG Games: The Realms

MMORPG Games: The Realms Public discussion forum for all MMORPG games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25th November 2012, 03:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Correspondent
Correspondent
Competent - Post: 469

Fine
Default Darkfall: Unholy Wars

*Mods, please don't move this thread to the "Darkfall" section, as Unholy Wars is a new game, not an expansion - infact if you could move the linked thread back here that would be great*

http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/...holy-wars.html

Many moons ago some of us here had high hopes for the original Darkfall Online, a MMORPG made by a small indy developer based in Greece.

Aventurine has announced the next version of Darkfall - Darkfall Unholy Wars.

Whilst sandbox full loot PvP isnt everyone's cup of tea, the premise of the original game was excellent and the engine they developed was, in many ways, groundbreaking. Implementation was always their downfall, but with the Aventurine team growing to 50, and the company obtaining new partners and financial support, there are hopes that they will finally be able to implement the ideas that inspired the game almost a decade ago.

The pre release videos have been very promising, showing many lessons learnt by the developers. A role system is now in, negating the "1 dominant template" problem in the original game. Also the GUI has been completely overhauled and, in my opinion, looks to be one of the slickest in MMO's today. Importantly, one of the biggest hurdles in the original game - GRIND - has been heavily reduced. All in all the game looks very promising

Latest Develepor Diary - New GUI and Combat

Release date is slated for 12 December 2012. Anyone interested in playing, please post here as we have a clan organised for release and we'd love to see some new players.

Last edited by Max Damage; 25th November 2012 at 03:48 AM.
Max Damage is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 25th November 2012, 08:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Retired Captain
Guild Officer
Elder Scrolls Online
Elite - Post: 3555

Tired

Surely, as the original Darkfall is getting shut down and replaced by this game, regardless of being a new game, its still the same game?
Old 25th November 2012, 10:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Correspondent
Correspondent

Fine

Nope.... Just like EQ1 and EQ2 are different.

There are so many difference between DF1 and DF2 - and many of the changes have addressed the reasons why many quit the original. It's a completely different game.
Old 25th November 2012, 11:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Retired Captain
Guild Officer
Elder Scrolls Online
Elite - Post: 3555

Tired

I'm not disagreeing that it is a different game in many ways, with many changes, but DF1 is being shut down and replaced with this. It is a 2.0, wheras EQ1 and EQ2 run concurrently. I understand them not wanting to link it with the stigma DF1 has (the reasons people left), but it is still "Darkfall", even if it is a newer, better Darkfall.
Old 25th November 2012, 11:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
Correspondent
Correspondent

Fine

Honestly, the only thing the same is that it's still in Agon - and even then they've changed the map. And they still plan to run DF1 as a F2P in Asia, so technically the games will run concurrently.

The reason why I wanted to put it here is because all the things that drove people away have been removed, so it will appeal to not only Darkfallers, but those new to the game and those who left early on because of the shitty grind, bugs etc.

This forum is about building communities, and that's the purpose of this thread.
Old 26th November 2012, 11:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Dangerous - Post: 704

Cheerful

Hi Max,

I'll be curious to see how 2.0 goes. Willing to give it another go!
Old 26th November 2012, 03:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Correspondent
Correspondent

Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kess View Post
Hi Max,

I'll be curious to see how 2.0 goes. Willing to give it another go!
Its looking pretty sweet Kess, a lot more polished.

I dont think we'll get a TOG guild up, but a few of us will be playing together anyway. If you're on Facebook you can find us here, or else PM on the TOG forums or Darkfall Forums (refer our recruiting thread on DFO forums) username Preparation H.

We'll have a forum and comms set up by the end of this week.

Cheers, Max.

Last edited by Max Damage; 30th November 2012 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Forum link added
Old 26th November 2012, 03:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 2

Default Hello TOG

Hello The Older Gamers,

I'm a member of an allied clan in GW2 called Old Timers Guild (OTG), and I signed up for your forums curious if TOG might have a planned presence in Darkfall Online: Unholy Wars? OTG will be present in DFO:UW, and we have several retired members returning for the relaunch. [I don't think it's appropriate for me to disclose specific numbers on a public forum, but we're expecting a healthy turnout so far.] We have a few long-term allies that will be rejoining us on NA1 after relaunch, but considering how well I feel we got along in GW2 (we're both large 25+ casual clans), I'm hoping your DFO:UW chapter might be interested in exploring playing in our alliance with us. Our DFO chapter has been active since EU launch (now we only play on NA1) and played until the server was closed last month, so we're as current as anyone on recent politics.

I hope you've all been enjoying GW2. I also hope this was the appropriate place to post this message. My access as a non-member is limited.

Antiherozero
Old 26th November 2012, 04:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Correspondent
Correspondent

Fine

Go away - and tell Miz I said hi :P

Seriously though, whilst we weren't playing under the TOG tag in DF anymore, our members migrated to Bushrangers, DHoV and eventually Absolution. We'll more than likely maintain those alliances in DF:UW and will be playing under the clan "Harbingers of Death and Quality Merchandise (HDQM)"

Look forward to seeing you guys in a couple of weeks.

Last edited by Max Damage; 26th November 2012 at 04:15 PM.
Old 27th November 2012, 03:05 AM   #10 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 2

Sweet, I was playing with you guys in DFO 1.0 and didn't even know. I hope the launch goes smoothly for everyone.