Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > MMORPG Games: The Realms

MMORPG Games: The Realms Public discussion forum for all MMORPG games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13th December 2012, 05:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
Division Captain
The Elder Scrolls Online
Deadly - Post: 2395

Hot
Default Pathfinder Kickstarter is back

Now, they had a very successful kickstarter for a tech demo, but I guess it didn't work out and they didn't get any publishers behind them. So they're going for kickstarter publishing funds now... :/

I like and don't like kickstarter campaigns. I feel it segregates people, especially MMO crowds, and you'll get elitism from people who donated more than you did.

I would love to see a Pathfinder MMO, but I can't bring myself to support any more kickstarters.

Pathfinder Online: A Fantasy Sandbox MMO by Goblinworks Inc. — Kickstarter

I also think it's a bad time to do kickstarters, because a lot of people are more willing to use their money for the holidays, not for a video game that isn't going to be done for a while.

I shouldn't be so negative. This game seems to offer pretty much the same thing Star Wars Galaxies did.

I am hopeful that this does get out and soon, because a new decent sandbox MMO is needed. I mean, I would love to just be an explorer or spy.

Last edited by Thymos; 13th December 2012 at 05:44 AM.
Thymos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 20th December 2012, 05:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Division Captain
The Elder Scrolls Online

Hot

Wow... it still has quite a lot of time, but it's almost halfway to the goal.

Maybe I was wrong.

I'm not sure how the sandbox elements will work, but it would be nice to play some espionage.
Old 20th December 2012, 05:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 2907 TOG Gold Level Supporter

Cheerful

They're going to have a subscription, considering how much crap games nowadays get for that?

(Personally, I'm not against it, but I saw the whining around TSW when it was released, and the ESO forums.)
xenoph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2012, 06:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Division Captain
The Elder Scrolls Online

Hot

I think the sub model is just a barebones as it is right now. From the FAQ, I got this:

Quote:
Will I have to pay a subscription to play the game? Each reward tier that includes the game client also includes a set amount of game time. After that time is used you'll be required to subscribe in order to continue to log in to the game. During Beta the game will only be available to subscribers. In the long term we expect to have options for people to use microtransactions instead of subscriptions to play.
Old 20th December 2012, 09:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Retired Captain
Guild Officer
Elder Scrolls Online
Elite - Post: 3552

Tired

Wait, they are flat out saying that they are charging a subscription for beta???
Old 20th December 2012, 09:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Retired Captain
Guild Officer
Elder Scrolls Online

Tired

looking at clicktraq, they are currently trending towards 86% of their goal. Judging by the decline in the pace of their campaign, it seems they may have tapped out their customer base heh. Time will tell if they get the last push they need to hit their goal.

Pathfinder Online: A Fantasy Sandbox MMO by Goblinworks Inc. :: Kicktraq
Old 21st December 2012, 07:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
Division Captain
The Elder Scrolls Online

Hot

I think they will reach it. It's understandable for a slow down the weeks coming up to Christmas. But they have 3 weeks left. People will be more inclined to spend after the holiday and the dust settles with their funds.
Old 1st January 2013, 03:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 7

They already have 150k from kickstarter for their Tech Demo and already secured investors.
I really am not sure about why they need 1 million before even completing the game at 50% at all.
They should show us their gameplay then asked for kickstarter again.
jojojoget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2013, 06:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Retired Captain
Guild Officer
Elder Scrolls Online

Tired

Because its free money they don't have to give back? /cynic

It really is a bitter pill to swallow for them to come back and ask for $1m so soon after their old kickstarter project. It's currently looking like they have tapped out their target market, as they are only trending towards 75% of their goal.

I have many reasons why I don't like the way they are approaching their project, and the way they are leveraging folks love of the Pathfinder IP to fleece the money out of them. This new kickstarter project pushes that over the edge for me, and I really hope they don't hit their funding goal. If they don't, they will still make the game (as you said, they have other investors), they just wouldn't have fleeced their community for millions of dollars to do so.

Also, its worth pointing out, they only intend this $1m to develop the next block up to beta. At that point, they will be doing another funding push, which may mean another kickstarter or similar crowdfleecing project.

Another thing that is worth pointing out. Their initial kickstarter project asked for $50k to make the tech demo. They got $300k. Apparently that has all been spent, in 6 months, with a lot of that going on "wages". Yes, the tech demo was done (although, it doesn't really show off much), but I'm not sure I would say its $300k worth heh.
Old 1st January 2013, 09:28 AM   #10 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Retired Captain
Guild Officer
Elder Scrolls Online

Tired

Interestingly as well, they are losing pledges today. I have been checking the trends, and they have lost over $5k already today.