Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > MMORPG Games: The Realms

MMORPG Games: The Realms Public discussion forum for all MMORPG games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16th January 2013, 03:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1049

Hot
Default ULTIMA FOREVER

Ultima Online is arguably the father of the whole MMO scene. There were other mmos at the time (Neverwinter Nights online was on AOL starting in the 90s) but none which showed us the potential of this as a gaming platform until Richard Garriot gave us Ultima Online.
I remember the launch; I spent most of the night trying to log in, server problems, lag problems, login issues. You name the problem; they had it. But those few minutes of play time just made the down-time worth it.
Anywhere PVP, portal runes, dyes, player housing, etc. Great stuff. Back when dying meant quite likely losing your equipped gear.
I'm just hoping Ultima Forever polishes up what we all loved about the title; without changing the game too much. Give us a world worth exploring and exploiting! Give survival meaning!

Mythic Entertainment
Policy" "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference.
The MARINES don't have that problem." President Ronald Reagan - 1985"
Cpl.Cooter-USMC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 17th January 2013, 03:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Division Captain
The Elder Scrolls Online
Deadly - Post: 2440

Hot

I would say UO was the father of MMORPGs, as the creator of UO, Richard Garriott coined that term. Not the father of MMOs. Legends of Future Past was the first commercialized MMO.
Thymos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2013, 11:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
Average - Post: 129

Cool

So much of my childhood was spent in Britannia, I can't wait to go back. Ultima IV(which this is a re-make of.... ish) is still arguably one of the greatest RPG's ever made, and really broke away from alot of other games, there's isn't even a big bad boss at the end. It's literally just learning the virtues and becoming the Avatar. Looking forward to seeing this and hopefully it isn't just some micro-transaction co-op tablet game that can be played on pc too.

Speaking of Ultima IV this guy reviews the whole series, it's pretty funny.
Skel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2013, 05:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 39

Lurking
Thumbs up

hmm I hadnt heard of this title until just now seeing your thread. I will have to check into this as UO was the game that imo really kicked off the MMORPG market.

That is where the MMO desire was kindled in me and man did i have so much fun in that realm. Never since then have I felt so in love with a game realm. I played in that game through the original and on various emulator shards for over 7 years. For something to hold me that long it really must have spoken to me.

Great memories on atlantic, great lakes, seige perillous for sure!

I miss those days when the feeling from these types of game was new!
Namodias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2013, 08:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1310

I was watching this vid about the game right from the U4 site Mythic Entertainment and about 11 min and 25 seconds into the vid a bunch of what looks like GW2 activation keys appeared. Take a look and tell me that I'm wrong.

Comic-Con - Ultima Forever Stage Demo - Comic-Con 2012 - YouTube

I haven't spoken to my wife in years. I didn't want to interrupt her.Rodney Dangerfield
Corpeces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2013, 06:12 AM   #6 (permalink)

Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpeces View Post
I was watching this vid about the game right from the U4 site Mythic Entertainment and about 11 min and 25 seconds into the vid a bunch of what looks like GW2 activation keys appeared. Take a look and tell me that I'm wrong.

Comic-Con - Ultima Forever Stage Demo - Comic-Con 2012 - YouTube
yep I saw it too when I watched the vid, weird.

btw I saw on their FB page that they are planning on making a announcement on Wednesday about the game, maybe release date or beta announcement by the sound of it probably.
Old 14th February 2013, 12:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

Lurking

They announced today on their fb page that they were going to release this spring. They also said it would be iOS first then pc next. I like the idea of being able to play this on my iPad, can't wait to try!
Old 17th February 2013, 11:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 23

Cold

I loved UO so much. Maybe it is because it was the first MMO I tried - and the one that got me into the gaming scene, but I have sooo many fond memories! I came late to the game (started playing about 3 months before the Age of Shadows expansion) but loved every moment!

I am not sure how I feel about playing an MMO on my iPad. I tried playing Celtic Heroes the other night and it was just too smallish for me. Pretty graphics and was very fast but... Something was missing.

This thread makes me want to log in and see if my old accounts work!
September is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2013, 01:07 AM   #9 (permalink)

Lurking

I totally know what you mean! It made me want to log into my old accounts and do the same thing.
Old 18th February 2013, 09:17 AM   #10 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 23

Cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namodias View Post
I totally know what you mean! It made me want to log into my old accounts and do the same thing.
Did you cave in and do it? I have to say I did resub to UO over the summertime. I ran around Yew Gate for awhile and looked at the Vendors, checked out if anyone was dueling on Wrong Roof and did a quick run through of all the all haunts -- not too many folks around. It took me a few moments to get reacquainted with moving by mouse rather than awsd keys but it was neat. My old server (Lake Superior) didn't seem too populated but it could have just been the time I was on.
September is offline   Reply With Quote