Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > MMORPG Games: The Realms

MMORPG Games: The Realms Public discussion forum for all MMORPG games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 4th March 2013, 09:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 483

Happy
Default Camelot Unchained - DAoC 2?

Camelot Unchained

Mark Jacobs (DAOC creator), announced this new MMO a few weeks back.

There is already a website and a mailing list but all are waiting for the kickstarter in March.

EDIT
Interesting info from the kickstarter project:
Quote:
Please note that “Camelot Unchained” is only the working title for this game and the game’s real name will be revealed during the game’s development. Estimated delivery of Alpha Access: August 2014. Estimated delivery of Beta 1 Access: February 2015. Estimated delivery of Beta 2 Access: June 2015. Estimated delivery of Beta 3 Access, September 2015.
EDIT2 from their kickstarter page:

Quote:

Camelot Unchained is a counter-revolutionary RvR-focused MMORPG from Mark Jacobs and CSE set in a post-apocalyptic yet familiar world.

City State Entertainment, led by online game pioneer and Mythic Entertainment founder Mark Jacobs and code guru and CSE co-founder Andrew Meggs, needs your support to make the next great Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game (MMORPG) for the PC and select tablets (stretch goal dependent) .As one of the very early online gaming developers (circa mid-1980s) and the creative driver behind Dark Age of Camelot®, Mark has seen online games grow from an unloved, mostly ignored part of the industry to a major driving force. He believes the time is right once again for a small, barely known studio to craft a title that can compete in today’s market, just as in 1999 when Mythic Entertainment began work on Dark Age of Camelot.

Mark has always called his online games evolutionary with a mix of revolutionary features. This one will be no different, as it will draw a lot of inspiration from “old school” games and MMORPGs while also mixing in some new features. In the rush to cash in on the WoW phenomenon, publishers/designers tried to simply “out-WoW WoW”, leading to most MMORPGs becoming more risk-averse, more “casual player”-focused, and overall, less challenging. This produced, among other things, a loss of the pride and sense of accomplishment that came from succeeding in the older, more difficult titles. We're not talking about spawn-camping for 24 hours straight, but rather the sense of pride from succeeding in a challenging game rather than one which hands you everything on a silver platter. In CU, you will have to earn your skills by deeds, and they will increase slowly over time. Magical items will not be found everywhere like road-kill on highways, so gamers won’t feel the pressure to “keep up with the Gandalfs.”

Camelot Unchained takes one part classic legends, adds a twisty little apocalyptic passage, and mixes in a whole batch of creativity to birth not just another “me and my WoW-clone”, but a unique RvR-focused MMORPG. A cataclysmic explosion pierced “The Veil” that separates dimensions, bringing forth a nightmarish mix of both legends and horrors upon our world, leading to an extinction-level event. It is against the backdrop of an almost unrecognizable world that our game unfolds, and as a player of Camelot Unchained, you can expect the following:

·Camelot Unchained is a subscription-based, RvR-focused MMORPG. RvR is an acronym for Realm vs. Realm® (this term is a registered trademark of Electronic Arts), which we call TriRealmfor the interaction of the three main realms.

·The game will feature RvR-based leveling tracks for all classes. No PvE (player vs. environment) -based leveling, loot drops or other such systems are currently planned. All leveling will come from engaging in the game’s RvR-based systems, whether by fighting other players, capturing objectives, and/or crafting objects to help in RvR.

·You will have the choice of playing any realm on each of the game’s servers except that you may play only characters from the same realm on any single server. In other words, one server = one realm.

·Our subscription tiers will be based on players' individual choices regarding participation, but will be less than the current accepted norm for MMORPGs.

·The game will be developed for PC (Windows) with stretch goals for other platforms.

·The game will be available in English with French, German and other languages based on demand.

·The client will be DRM-free and distributed via Torrent.

Watch List: Repopulation: maybe // Camelot Unchained: certainly // EverQuest Next: definitely.
Playing Landmark and EQN with TNV. Other games with TOG ofc

Last edited by Medrall; 3rd April 2013 at 09:26 PM.
Medrall is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 5th March 2013, 04:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 14

Fine

I really hope so and I'll be backing it.

If Mark and his team can recreate the adrenalin rush I got from playing RvR then I will be a very happy man and some of his ideas are very good. It's a shame the end game in Warhammer didn't quite live up to expectations, but I am happy to give Mark another go, even if it means paying subs (/sigh).
tris2n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2013, 06:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 5

Just when I was thinking I'd give up on MMO's...
Didn't Mark leave EA/Mythic over the way they ignored his advice and torched WarHammer?
Hobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2013, 02:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 2755

Buzzed

Looks awesome, but is currently in the 'kickstarter' phase.

----------------
Have you ever really wanted to be a total rebel flipping tables on the enemy? - Vi themesong LOL
solarbear88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2013, 01:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Average - Post: 160

Fine

Interesting
Jaerom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2013, 02:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 81

Definitely backing this one! Actually dropped in on these forums just to see if there was a topic on it
Old 29th March 2013, 04:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1976

I'll be backing it too when it comes to Kickstarter.

I have very good memories from DaoC
Old 29th March 2013, 07:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lethal - Post: 6656

Grumpy

One to keep an eye on - Thanks.
Old 30th March 2013, 01:33 AM   #9 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 81

CU just hit number 1 on the hype meter on mmorpg.com.

There is also a new official website:
Camelot Unchained

Be sure to sign up for the news letter to keep abreast, especially with regard to the kickstarter start date. IMO funding tiers will go fast.
Old 30th March 2013, 06:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 22

this is one that I have on my radar
Mr.BigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote