Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > MMORPG Games: The Realms

MMORPG Games: The Realms Public discussion forum for all MMORPG games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 8th April 2013, 12:23 PM   #21 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Craft Leader
Elder Scrolls Online
Deadly - Post: 2422

Dead

For me, in chrono order

MMOs
WOW- 6 months
EVE - 2.5 years
AION - 1 month
SWTOR - 9 Months
GW 2 - 6 months
TSW - 1 week at most (lovely game just couldnt get into it)
Planetside 2 - 5 Months (still playing)
Neverwinter - maybe next
Elder Scrolls - probably next

Single Player
Skyrim - well over 300 hours...
Monster Hunter 3 and MH3U (Wii and 3DS) - close to 100 hours now still going
Dawn of War 2 (plus Chaos expansion) - 30 hours
Shogun 2 (plus expansions) - 70 hours
X-Com - 30 hours tops
Fallen Enchantress - 20 hours
Warlock - 20 hours
Terreria - 15 hours (good value this one of only $0.99)

Unfortunately apart from Elder Scrolls and Monster Hunter (if you havent played these then get them, so much fun), no single player game comes close to the number of hours you can get out of a good MMO.

I love a new game, especially learning new tactics and skills, learning with people (TOGgers) and generally beating the game/challenges for the first time. I love new lore, trying to optimise a power build or build my characters to do specific tasks. Crafting for me is also huge. After 6 months most games have lost that flavor or downright destroyed what made them great (SWTOR I'm looking at you). 6 Months is the time when I think most games lose the most subs, and try to delay or prevent this by putting out expansions or mini-updates (new maps, areas etc). The one thing I dont understand these days is that games are so easy that a good team/guild can reach the end game within a week, and finish most of the content there within a month. This should not be possible.

Make the end of the game hard, not impossible but it should require significant effort, co-ordination and poise to finish. I am hoping beyond hope that ESO has difficult end game. I dont want my hand held, nor do I want every second person have have super duper epic purple and gold flashy swords of flaming doom. Until this happens 6 months is all most games are worth, wih the exception of games that are generally difficult to suceed in, ie WOW (time and effort), EVE (even more time and effort).

My rant is complete.....

BT

Btw Nice topic Trim

Old 8th April 2013, 01:54 PM   #22 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1745

Fine

In my (ever so humble) opinion, ever since the genre was dumbed down for general consumption *cough* wow *cough* it hasn't been the same.

I pretty much agree with the consensus that the fast majority of people will jump from MMO to MMO within 3-6 months, which is a pity.

I do know one thing though, my online experience has improved dramatically thanks to TOG
Old 8th April 2013, 09:35 PM   #23 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1976

Very good points being made in this thread. Kudos to Trim for starting it!

Basicly your title says it all for me : 3 to 6 months for a MMO these days is what I consider to be a REALLY good MMO.
The time of WoW where I literally spent years are over. Things have changed and I have changed.

* I don't play for hours and hours non-stop each day anymore like I used to.
* There are so many MMO's to choose from.
* Content and character building needs to be different enough to grab and hold my attention.
* I am playing MMO's since 1999 and sometimes I have the attitude of "been there, done that" with MMO's.

Nowadays I judge a game pretty much like Ludy does : how much entertainment it gives me versus how much $$ it costs me.
And so far it has turned out allright
Old 9th April 2013, 12:00 AM   #24 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 2647

Goofy

Its not just you, I'm having the same problem. I remember back when I first played Wow, the sense of being in that world and exploring it. I was never a great player, but I enjoyed my time in there.

Now everything just feels like a grind. Sometimes short lived fun, but still basically a grind. Fun with friends even, but still a...well, you get the idea.

I have no idea what I even want in an MMO now.

I'm having more fun doing board gaming, actually sitting around with real people and moving little plastic bits on a board.

Maybe I'm just getting old.
Bort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 09:49 AM   #25 (permalink)
Average - Post: 129

Cool

There's a lot more saturation in the market these days too, so many options. With so many "free-to-play" out now that just aren't up to scratch it tends to see a very transient population, and there's always new people coming in cause it's just a download away.

It'll be interesting to see how Shroud of the Avatar plays out as this topic has kind of been their kickstarter campaign.

Elder Scrolls Online has alot to live up to as well and I'm not sure how much to expect. A big part of the success of the franchise for me has been the community in the form of modding.
Skel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2013, 01:56 PM   #26 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Guild Leader
Elder Scrolls Online
Deadly - Post: 1559

Drunk

I am in the same boat but I think it has to do with choice now days, When I was playing Vg for 4+ years we where in the same group of friends and really the guild didn't change all that much due to a lack of titles to play we stuck to a game we all liked, now with so many choices all my mates play there own game of choice and we all have different ideas of what game to play so for me it comes down to I never get all my friends in the same game so MMO's tend to feel like single player games without them so I guess it was my mates I stuck around for more then anything the game could do for me.
Old 10th April 2013, 02:38 PM   #27 (permalink)

Goofy

Its always a killer when I'm thinking while I'm playing an MMO, "this is basically feels like a single player game".
Old 10th April 2013, 04:30 PM   #28 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Craft Leader
Elder Scrolls Online

Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bort View Post
Its always a killer when I'm thinking while I'm playing an MMO, "this is basically feels like a single player game".
*Cough* SWTOR *Cough*

Should have been KOTOR 3. Would have been great and probably critically and commercially acclaimed.
Old 10th April 2013, 04:39 PM   #29 (permalink)

Goofy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Talon View Post
*Cough* SWTOR *Cough*
Thats an excellent example. Really makes you think "what the hell am I paying each month to play this for?"
Old 10th April 2013, 05:06 PM   #30 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Craft Leader
Elder Scrolls Online

Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bort View Post
Thats an excellent example. Really makes you think "what the hell am I paying each month to play this for?"
Exactly. Lovely game, great story, solid visuals but I dont need others to play the game. Its a solid SRPG with MMORPG elements added on top to get mass appeal. I hear its gotten better though so that positive.

But it was never worth the premium upfront cost plus a premium monthly sub. It had great potential.

Last edited by Blue_Talon; 10th April 2013 at 05:12 PM.
Blue_Talon is offline   Reply With Quote