Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > MMORPG Games: The Realms

MMORPG Games: The Realms Public discussion forum for all MMORPG games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 6th April 2013, 04:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 3250

Cheerful
Default Today's MMO Only 3-6 monthers

Per the title, for the last few years or so I've noticed a trend with new MMOs. Its not you, its me........maybe, but I know for me I've bought/tried/played a handful of MMOs over the last year and they all seem to last to about 3-6 months. The trend seems to be - pay to get into the beta, offer expensive packs to Founding Members, cash shops, etc. Grab as much cash as you can upfront to recoup costs then take it from there seems to be the mantra.

What happened to the days when I played an MMO for 1, 2, 3, 5+ years? Maybe its good that I'm not tied to my desk for thousands of hours, maybe I've changed? Anyway, in looking at the upcoming MMO landscape I see numerous MMOs that I am eager to play, but I just wonder how many of them will fall into the 3-6 month club................
Trimethicon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 6th April 2013, 05:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1268

Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimethicon View Post
What happened to the days when I played an MMO for 1, 2, 3, 5+ years?
Well back in those golden Everquest days, you didn't have much choice in games. It was one, maybe two games, and that was it, so if you wanted to game, you were limited to what you were playing.

Now with every man and their dog having an MMO game, people have lots of choice, so don't stick around if the game doesn't do amazing things in the first 6 months.

As most developers are mostly in this for the cash, it's far easier to "gimme da cash" now, and bedazzle players into buying, and let the game languish until it's shut down.

Rather than put out something out small and reasonable now, and grow the game over time.
Old 6th April 2013, 05:22 AM   #3 (permalink)

Cheerful

True, very true. I still love the genre, I can't touch a singleplayer game, but it is what it is.
Old 6th April 2013, 07:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1421

Psychedelic

I still jump back into EQ (for raiding new expansions) and LOTRO (new stuff) every once an a while and I know others who jump back into WoW (not my thing). With the newer games, the content simply isn't there (yet?).

I know Guild Wars 2 is like that now for me. I absolutely *LOVE* the game and I don't have to pay a thing, but at this point I've done everything in game twice and am halfway through a third, not to mention a lot of WvW time, and I'm not a high playtime guy these days. Usually only 10-15 hours a week. Friends I know who are high playtime were in my spot back before Christmas.

Everyone says it would never work, but I'd love to see some new developer try releasing a game that actually takes a major time commitment to progress like the old titles did.

Last edited by Tachyon; 6th April 2013 at 07:17 AM.
Tachyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2013, 07:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1570

I read this recently, really identifies something that's been missed since I played L2.

Where's the Social? - Tingle's Touchy Subjects at MMORPG.com

The thing that kept me in L2 longer than any other game was the people. A lot of things sucked about L2. What an evil game. But the people were awesome. To get to the endgame of L2, I needed friends. TOR and GW 2? Not so much. I stayed in Rift longer than I usually do because I had a solid group pushing the end-game. When it dissolved due to TOR...that was the end.

Games can have all the awesomeness in the world, but you'll still be done with it in 3 months if you don't have good friends to play it with.
Old 6th April 2013, 07:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1421

Psychedelic

I played Lineage 2 for a good three years. One of my favorites!
Old 6th April 2013, 08:21 AM   #7 (permalink)

Cheerful

I know the games I've played recently have been 3-6'ers, in some cases 2 days........

SWTOR
GW2
Tera
Aion
TSW - one week
Defiance
Neverwinter Online

I played EQ1 for about 5 years, solidly for 3, and WoW for the same amount of time.
Old 6th April 2013, 08:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4294

I pretty much agree with Lurch on the reasons. I also am a 3-6 monther in games but it doesn't bother me. I look at the monetary value of games I buy. I try to get at least $1 per hour of in game time.

Now single player games hardly ever hit this mark for me. Sure some games like Skyrim blow it away but those are the exception to the rule. Take Tomb Raider for example. A great game by my accounts but it would never keep me interested for 60 hours. For single player games to get my value I need to buy the short single player games that you play for maybe 10-15 hours and move on.

So it's not just MMOs with the problem its all the industry. Developers don't have the budgets to build rich and huge games. You can have cheap, long, or rich games but it seems that you can only have 2 of these options.
Old 6th April 2013, 09:24 AM   #9 (permalink)

Cheerful

I think I'm just jaded to be honest............the quality of today's games are just as good, or better, then EQ1.
Old 6th April 2013, 09:36 AM   #10 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 719

When I started with multiplayer games there were already a few choices around, so I never really had that feeling that everyone was playing the same game over a very long period. My first multiplayer game was GW1 and that was with all the expansions so it had already been out maybe 3 years.

Since then I've played quite a few MMOs for a while - WoW, Rift, Lotro, SW:TOR and GW2 but I don't know if I played any of them regularly past the 6 month mark. I might with GW2 but I am mostly logging in for guild events now, so it's declined a bit. I feel that I have run out of new things to do at this stage.

If I liked a game I'll often revisit a while later, and either I'll stick around for a few more months or remember all the things I got sick of last time, then go chasing the next shiny new game (most likely TESO, since I enjoyed Oblivion and Skyrim). I wonder if that happens quite often.

Last edited by quickthorn; 6th April 2013 at 09:45 AM.
quickthorn is offline   Reply With Quote