Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > MMORPG Games: The Realms

MMORPG Games: The Realms Public discussion forum for all MMORPG games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30th April 2013, 11:38 PM   #21 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 726

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voxia View Post
I've grown tired of GW2 so I'm guessing this will be my next "home" for a while. Looking forward to playing with TOG in the future.
Same here, though I've gone back to SWTOR for the moment. This one looks a bit different though, quite quirky. So I've signed up for beta - hopefully I'll get a chance to take a look.

Old 4th May 2013, 02:40 AM   #22 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1269

Dead

Signed up with my three hotmail accounts, so I hope my odds are a tad better than most.

Anyway, Defiance has been fun, but after burning through the majority of the content, I'm done. Would like to go back to GW2, but still a bit tired of that, so this would be something new and shiny to try for a while.
Old 8th May 2013, 03:52 PM   #23 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 431

Buzzed

Interesting post from a dev on the Wildstar Central forum on their goals with the endgame:

"Here's some quick philosophy on the subject (still in the office at 6pm Sunday so I'll have to be brief):

We do believe in catering to the 1% (actually a few different 1%'s). We spend more than 1% of our time on them. Why?

Well, the 1% grew over time in the MMO market. It used to be that few people were at the end game stages of the MMOs, but of course as time passes the percentage of players there grows. And some who hated PVP as noobies learned they loved it, and some who struggled in dungeons took on veteran dungeons and learned to raid, etc. So that "1%" of people who do the hard end-game content has grown a bit (it's still not pervasive per se; and the toughest raids are still only finished by a fraction of the playerbase).

Several factors apply:

1) The 1% are pretty vocal. If they report back to the 99% that the elder game sucks, guess what? Lots of people leave - why bother levelling up if no love was put into the very top content? (Well there actually answers to that, but I'll leave it for brevity).

2) Over time, your "1%" content becomes easier - better loot drops, people get more skilled, level caps raise. So that percentage our of time spent actually over time does get utilized well.

3) We devs often ARE the 1%. If you make a game you don't love, it's pretty damn hard to make it good. We want a game we want to play too. There are a disproportionate amount of hardcore raiders/PVPers in the industry (and probably also in those passionate enough to post here or on other MMO sites for that matter).

4) There's some magic involved. Picture a game with no nigh-inaccessible content. You can go anywhere the first month, there's nothing left unseen. From one perspective, maybe that's great - there's no earning your way into Counterstrike maps, and that game's pretty damn fun. But from another...I dunno, it's pretty tough to have a mysterious, huge-feeling world when you can trivially do it all, and even in games I don't want to or don't have time to raid in I'd like to know there's more out there. That's arguable though.

So we focus a lot on elder games. We're trying to have innovative answer for each major playstyles:

Soloers PVE'ers (IMO under-served in most MMOs oddly as they are 65+% of the playerbase in most western MMOs) get more than rep grinds and dailies by having solo story dungeons released regularly, dynamic PQ content (most to be revealed down the road), big frequent updates, housing stuff, good tradeskilling, and more.

PVPers: Warplots (40v40 player built city v city combat) and arenas (to oversummarize)

Group PVE'ers: Dynamic raid content, weekly competitions for legendary gear, and more (some to be revealed later)

Some of that stuff (especially the group stuff) needs to be damn hard. We want the best guilds capturing raid bosses in challenging ways, and pinning them down on their warplots to go beat the <REDACTED> out of the other fortresses. Many noobie players may never experience that - but hopefully they hear about it and aspire to it.

We're trying to make everyone useful, so the major guilds will end up with raiders, warplotters, and soloers contributing to the overall guild's success, in roughly the proportions they naturally exist in the playerbase. We'll see if we succeed at that (beta's all about finishing implementation, then tuning tuning tuning to make sure it all plays well individually and together).

Anyhoo, there's tons more on the subject, especially as we do more reveals later this year on elder games, deeper dives on features, etc. Maybe we'll muck up some of the execution (don't believe so at the moment, but there's lots to do still. I don't expect or desire any "gimmes" from the MMO communities as a whole; there's been enough hype in recent years in the biz that the proof HAS to be in the pudding for us and future games).

But strategically we have a set of goals that we feel passionate about. Opinions welcome."

This has managed to raise my interest in the game by a lot, if they actually manage to achieve it they'll have an endgame that could be a model for future theme park mmos
morroIan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2013, 06:00 PM   #24 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4351

I agree mate. I want a harder game than the market has at this time. Barring that at least a game that a game that has a well developed endgame with a Sci-Fi feel would be very welcome. The addition of having solo instances that I can do during non-group or raids is awesome.

They really are setting their bar at a pretty high level. I hope they can live up to it.
Old 9th May 2013, 10:17 PM   #25 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 726

Although I like running dungeons with guildies, I'm glad to hear they will have solo dungeons as well. Sometimes other people aren't around/at the right level, and sometimes you just want to set yourself a challenge.
Old 10th May 2013, 05:37 AM   #26 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Architect
Minecraft
Deadly - Post: 1667

Happy

They announced a stress test for this weekend, so more invites will be going out soon.

edit: or not now apparently. Will have one in the near future but this weekend was call off

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/ne...tress_test.php

Last edited by Misnik; 10th May 2013 at 05:42 AM.
Misnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2013, 08:50 AM   #27 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 802 TOG Gold Level Supporter

Lurking

New DevSpeak video about, Movement.

Sounds meh, but its pretty good

AION: Khalad - Gladiator - Lv 55 (Retired) - RIFT: Khalad - Warrior - Lv 60 - SWTOR: Khalad - Bounty Hunter - Lv 50 (retired) - Guild Wars 2: Khalad - Guardian - Lv 80 - Wildstar: Waiting - FFXIV: Khalad - Dragoon - Lv 50
jillaroo81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2013, 04:31 PM   #28 (permalink)
Division Captain
Arma
Elite - Post: 4974 TOG Gold Level Supporter

Looks really cool. Kinda reminiscent of the humour style in Ratchet and Clank series.
I don't do MMO lately. Might look into it closer to release, though (other gaming commitment and wifey points permitting).

EDIT: What's the Sub model in this game? Is it one-off payment like GW/GW2?

When you come to a fork in the road, take it! - Yogi Bera
astrospud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2013, 06:30 PM   #29 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 378

Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrospud View Post
Looks really cool. Kinda reminiscent of the humour style in Ratchet and Clank series.
I don't do MMO lately. Might look into it closer to release, though (other gaming commitment and wifey points permitting).

EDIT: What's the Sub model in this game? Is it one-off payment like GW/GW2?
They haven't released the payment model yet so who knows. They did state that it won't be pay to win
Venrith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2013, 05:22 PM   #30 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 478

Blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickthorn View Post
Although I like running dungeons with guildies, I'm glad to hear they will have solo dungeons as well. Sometimes other people aren't around/at the right level, and sometimes you just want to set yourself a challenge.
Solo dungeons sound like a big plus to me. I always seem to have no luck finding enough guildies at my level that are on at the same time to do your normal dungeon runs. Having ones designed for solo toons will help a lot to break up any grind.