Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > MMORPG Games: The Realms

MMORPG Games: The Realms Public discussion forum for all MMORPG games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13th May 2013, 03:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 2

Default MMORPG research - player interviews for PhD research

Hi all,

My name is Leigh Klaver and I'm currently doing my PhD on video game players, most specifically MMORPG players, in Melbourne, Australia.

Now that I've introduced myself I should get to the point. A major part of my research is focused on why people play MMORPGs. Over the years I've read many articles and listened to fellow gamers telling me why they play MMORPGs, but I'm looking for more depth and information from as broad a group of gamers as possible. For this reason I've just completed and had approved a lengthy (!) ethics process so that I can conduct one-on-one interviews with MMORPG players.

Basically - I'm looking for MMORPG players to interview. The only requirement for interviewees is that they're over 18 and currently play an MMORPG (or several), other than that I'd love to hear from as broad a group of MMORPG players as possible. Interviews will be conducted either in-person (if you're in the Melbourne area) or via Skype. Participation is anonymous and interviews will likely last for around 20-40 minutes, depending on the interviewee.

Interviews will be undertaken over the course of the next few weeks and I'm going to make myself as available as possible to undertake them at times convenient to interviewees. The results of the interviews will be used in my research and any associated academic publications.

If you have a half hour to spare and are happy to be interviewed you'd be doing me (and my research outcomes) a huge favour by participating. If you'd like to participate please email me at lklaver@swin.edu.au. If you have any questions/queries please feel free to email me and I'll reply as soon as I can.

Cheers and thanks for reading,

Leigh
dLeeroyb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 13th May 2013, 04:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Guild Leader
Elder Scrolls Online
Deadly - Post: 1562

Drunk

Why do I play MMO's ? because nothing impresses a girl like a good raid story lol. Hope the research goes well mate, but I always see people doing surveys or research into this sort of thing and think everyone is over thinking this subject, the answer is very easy there a game and it's fun.
But good luck with it all anyway
Old 14th May 2013, 08:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 2

Hi Cahiry,

I disagree that it's that simple, for example what is fun for you can be entirely different to what is fun for others, and that's just a part of what I'm looking to find out. Thanks for the well wishes, much appreciated!
dLeeroyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2013, 08:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Craft Leader
Elder Scrolls Online
Deadly - Post: 2422

Dead

Sent you an email.

And I have different opinion to cahiry. My gaming keeps me sane, or at least close to it.
Old 20th May 2013, 05:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Guild Leader
Elder Scrolls Online

Drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Talon View Post
Sent you an email.

And I have different opinion to cahiry. My gaming keeps me sane, or at least close to it.
WHAT how dare you have a different opinion, you do know that around here it's my way or the highway right ?

If this is sane hate to see when your not gaming lol
Old 21st May 2013, 02:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Craft Leader
Elder Scrolls Online
Deadly - Post: 2422

Dead

Ouch! My feelings are hurt now. The Internet used to be such a nice place
Old 22nd May 2013, 11:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Guild Leader
Elder Scrolls Online

Drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Talon View Post
Ouch! My feelings are hurt now. The Internet used to be such a nice place
It did ? where ? when ?