Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > MMORPG Games: The Realms

MMORPG Games: The Realms Public discussion forum for all MMORPG games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29th May 2013, 11:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Guild Leader
Elder Scrolls Online
Deadly - Post: 1557

Drunk
Default No official forums, new trend ?

SO I haunt mostly Wildstar and ESO sites ATM, one thing that seems to a new trend is that neither of these games has a official Forum, they use social media mostly and fan sites.

These are 2 of the biggest releases set for 2013, is this a new trend to avoid over hype of there games or is it that fan sites are much better then they used to be and social media is bigger then ever ?

Old 29th May 2013, 02:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1449

Psychedelic

Less time and money invested I'd think. Let the social media sites provide the bandwidth!
Old 29th May 2013, 02:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1740

Fine

Perhaps they have a beta forum where by only constructive posts are evident?
Old 29th May 2013, 03:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 5239

Tired

Um ...

Wildstar: https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/ (all content hidden to people not in beta)
Elder Scrolls Online: The Elder Scrolls Online - Bethesda Softworks Forums (General Discussion area, presumably beta discussion also hidden)
Jigoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2013, 04:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Deadly - Post: 1894 TOG Legend

Amused

Wildstar Central is massive and recognised by Carbine

WildStar Central
Old 29th May 2013, 04:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Guild Leader
Elder Scrolls Online

Drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigoku View Post
Um ...

Wildstar: https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/ (all content hidden to people not in beta)
Elder Scrolls Online: The Elder Scrolls Online - Bethesda Softworks Forums (General Discussion area, presumably beta discussion also hidden)
The Wildstar one is a beta tester forum from what I can tell, not a general discussion forum open to the public.

The ESO one gee talk about keeping it hidden from the general rabel no link from the main ESO page to it.
Old 29th May 2013, 04:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Deadly - Post: 1894 TOG Legend

Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by cahiry View Post
The Wildstar one is a beta tester forum from what I can tell, not a general discussion forum open to the public.

The ESO one gee talk about keeping it hidden from the general rabel no link from the main ESO page to it.
Check out WildStar Central truck loads of activity, Im suprised you havent heard of it. Even the developers use it to hang out. The Forum admins were invited to Carbine to check things out.
Old 29th May 2013, 05:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Guild Leader
Elder Scrolls Online

Drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesteel View Post
Check out WildStar Central truck loads of activity, Im suprised you havent heard of it. Even the developers use it to hang out. The Forum admins were invited to Carbine to check things out.
I've been on that one since it started, Was more just making a point that new Games seem to be steering clear of there own forums.
Old 29th May 2013, 05:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4310

They might open one up closer to launch or open beta. Still don't think there is a need. With social media, I hate it but it's here to stay, they don't need to rely on forums to put out announcements. Just put up a tweet and facebook post. Link those posts in the launcher and do patch notes in a webpage format.

Not only does it keep costs down but people don't go to the official site and see people crap talking their game. I would say less than 1/4 of the posts on most game forums are worth reading. The rest are people making a stink for lols or nerd rage. If the recognized forums are fan based then no one official needs to comment on why Jimmy got banned for being a d-bag.
Old 29th May 2013, 06:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 720

With GW2 which was published by NCSoft like Wildstar, they had temporary feedback forums during their betas which closed immediately after betas ended. The official forums began only after launch. And I'd agree that many games forums can have a pretty toxic atmosphere unless they are quite heavily moderated.