Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > MMORPG Games: The Realms

MMORPG Games: The Realms Public discussion forum for all MMORPG games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28th June 2013, 08:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Guild Leader
Elder Scrolls Online
Elite - Post: 3485 TOG Bronze Level Supporter

Relaxed
Arrow Rift: 20 reasons to check out F2P

From a Massively article: Why I Play: RIFT | Massively

I've heard the common complaints. Heck, I've been the one issuing them from time to time. RIFT is too much like World of Warcraft. Its story often feels bland. Its 50-to-60 journey takes just this side of forever. Its cities are more like "one building and a couple of adjoining huts." Its dynamic content never lived up to its potential as the core feature of the game. Its races are some of the most generic in the MMO industry.

And yet I play it. I love it, in fact; I have ever since I first tried it in beta. The sign of a worthy game to me is not perfection (as that does not exist outside of the deluded hopes of fans anticipating the next big title) but a game that succeeds despite its flaws. For every flaw RIFT has, I could name two ways that it's done a great job in entertaining players, pulling together the community, and treating consumers with respect.

Free-to-play has caused a lot of folks to check out RIFT, some of them for the first time. Others who used to play are now returning because the subscription barrier is no more. So why do I play RIFT? Let me give you 20 reasons.

Why I play RIFT

1. Dynamic events are a lot of fun, especially in a group -- and the public grouping button makes that a cinch. The big zone-wide events are always a worthwhile activity, especially when it comes down to a world boss versus an army of players.

2. I've always appreciated how agile Trion Worlds is when it comes to reacting to player needs and the growth of the game. The studio worked darn hard for our subscription dollar, and I have no reason to expect that it isn't going to work equally hard for our microtransaction monies.

3. The dimension system is the best player housing system that the industry has seen in years, and it's absolutely a breeze to use. I love having my own slice of Telara in my pocket wherever I go.

4. Just about every feature I'd want in an MMO has made it into RIFT by now. Holidays, pets, cosmetic outfits, housing, collections, the group finder, the guild finder, dynamic events, achievements, dyes, guild banks, coin locks, AoE looting, two-step authentication, guild quests, planar attunements... the list just keeps on going.

5. It's an explorer's dream. The zones are a joy to roam around in, especially for those of us who like to go off-roading. Getting rewarded with achievements and artifacts for going where few have gone before is just the cherry on top of the fun.

6. While I've never been a fan of the armor models, I have nothing but admiration for the general look of the game. From underwater vistas to little touches all over the game world, RIFT is a gorgeous title and incredibly easy on the eyes.

7. The user interface feels slick and functional to me at all times. I've never felt as if I was struggling against the UI when it came to playing the game, and that's one of those compliments that I don't give out too often.

8. I've run more dungeons in RIFT than I have in any other MMO. I don't exactly know why; maybe it's the group finder and its daily incentives that help, but I love jumping into runs with strangers here. It's a great way to get geared up and have a good time without a lot of the stress that comes with raiding.

9. Have I really reached the ninth point without mentioning the soul system? Let's rectify that now. The ability to mold your own "class" with the game's mix-and-match soul system is a feature that keeps characters feeling fresh and interesting long after you've reached high levels. There's not a day that goes by that I'm not pondering a new build idea, even if it won't be theorycrafted to be the best.

10. It hits the sweet spot of collecting for me. Between achievement hunting, minipet collecting, and artifact finding, I'm constantly looking for ways to fill out arbitrary game lists and flesh out my fluff bag.

11. The minipets are often adorable and quite varied. Yes, the corgis are overplayed, but I still can't wait to pull mine out on a dungeon run. Aww, lookit his little wagging tail!

12. Sometimes the stories are surprisingly engrossing, especially when Trion breaks out of the text box to use voice acting and scripted events. It could always use more of this, yes, but the expansion has done a much better job with storytelling on the whole.

13. Speaking of which, the expansion was absolutely enormous. Two continents, four new souls, new rift types, player housing, upgradable gear, and massive world boss fights just put other expansions to shame.

14. RIFT makes it really easy to be with your friends. Want to transfer servers? You can do so once a week for free! You play Defiant but your buds play Guardian? Now you can be in the same guild, group up, and talk to each other with no barrier!

15. The soundtrack by Inon Zur is pretty solid. I'm glad that more of it was added for Storm Legion.

16. World events and holidays are great ways that bring together the community, give us ways to earn fun new rewards, and change up the same-old routine.

17. RIFT's mobile app still pleases me greatly. I can yank out my phone and chat with my guildies, check on zone events going on currently, and snag some extra loot with virtual scratchers.

18. Instant adventures are such a terrific way to get into pain-free casual grouping with tons of action and substantial rewards. I almost never regret spending 15 or 20 minutes running a few IAs if time and interest permits.

19. I have incredibly fond memories of playing RIFT and meeting the devs at PAX several years ago. I wasn't even aware of the game before then, but after that session I knew that it was something I was going to lose myself in.

20. Its free-to-play model feels incredibly generous. I'm quite glad the game went that route because I feel I don't have to worry as much about its future now that it's not trying to be one of the few sub-only MMOs out there. Instead, it's one of the absolute best F2P games, and I'm thrilled at seeing how much activity is buzzing around RIFT as of late because of the change.

There's an MMO born every day, and every game is someone's favorite. Why I Play is a column in which the Massively staff members kick back and reminisce about all their favorite MMOs. Whether it's the new hotness or an old fan favorite loaded with nostalgia, each title we cover here tugs at our heartstrings and keeps us coming back for more.
Rourke is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 28th June 2013, 09:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Guild Officer
Wildstar
Deadly - Post: 1286 TOG Gold Level Supporter

Sneaky

21. Even if tripled it's prices at the cash shop it would still not be nearly as bad at gouging you as Neverwinter Online...

No seriously, if, with all the reasons listed above, you can't convince a person that Rift is one of the best F2P MMO's out there which still offers enough attractive bonuses for a person to bother subbing, just get them to play NWO for a week...

Asmodai aka Saviourself aka Stabbitha aka Azshadoria... or Azsh... Azshaz?
Asmodai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2013, 09:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Guild Leader
Elder Scrolls Online
Elite - Post: 3485 TOG Bronze Level Supporter

Relaxed

I came back to Rift just before F2P and I continue to pay for a sub as I believe it is worth it to show Trion support. The Rift store really is very good and as stated knocks the socks off of Neverwinter.
Rourke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2013, 10:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Average - Post: 158

Sick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rourke View Post
I came back to Rift just before F2P and I continue to pay for a sub as I believe it is worth it to show Trion support. The Rift store really is very good and as stated knocks the socks off of Neverwinter.
Ditto on that - the promise of F2P brought me back, but the first day of F2P I paid subs because I was enjoying the game so much!
Old 29th June 2013, 03:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lethal - Post: 6616

Grumpy

Convinced re-downloading and installing - It will take me a few days though.

Someone told you I became unemployed today didn't they - This is some sort of elaborate trap.
Old 30th June 2013, 02:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 901

Excellent post Rourke, it was a great read. Rift ftp is definitely worth checking out for old and new players alike!

Currently Playing: Rift - Revent, Revenarb, Revenir, Toxicara
Reven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2013, 02:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 3534 TOG Bronze Level Supporter

Relaxed

^ ^ What they said! What are you waiting for? Go hit the download button
Spiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2013, 03:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Guild Officer
Wildstar
Deadly - Post: 1286 TOG Gold Level Supporter

Sneaky

Well, out of the 3 guys that started up again with me, two subbed, at least for a month, because the offerings really justified the expense.

I was a big fan of the LOTRO/DDO f2p models (I usually subbed but I could see they were working) but Rift's one blows them all out of the water.

The game never punishes you for choosing to play free. It's certainly slower, but it's not a slow leveling game per se. You still make cash reasonably fast, although the cost for mounts is really quite low in the cash shop, making them a tempting purchase.

Probably the biggest single expense is getting bag slots opened up, and if you find a copy of Storm Legion kicking around for 5-10 bucks (still possible at brick and mortar stores), you get the bagslots + 4 new souls far cheaper than you do buying them from the cash shop.

I can't recommend this highly enough, although I think I'm suffering PTSD from leveling to 60 free in Neverwinter Online so I might be a tad biased... =)

Asmodai aka Saviourself aka Stabbitha aka Azshadoria... or Azsh... Azshaz?

Last edited by Asmodai; 1st July 2013 at 03:23 PM.
Asmodai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2013, 10:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 732 TOG Silver Level Supporter

Lurking

I started playing Rift again and loved it so much I re-subbed. This is from someone who said they would never get into a subscription game again! LOL!

Rift really does blow other F2P models out of the water with everything which has already been discussed below.

I also joined the TOG guild on Laethys and I'm now looking forward to getting my warrior to 60.
Old 2nd July 2013, 01:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 426

Fine

I went back to Rift and had to resub. After putting up with SWTOR's laggy, cludgy stunfest, the PVP in Rift was just awesome. Fallen in love with the game all over again. I'm on Necropolis though which makes joining the TOGers on Laethys a little unlikely at the moment. It's been so long since I've played on a PVP server in any MMO and I'm kind of enjoying it. I'll be checking out Wildstar when that appears, but I can see me keeping on with Rift for a while.