Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > MMORPG Games: The Realms

MMORPG Games: The Realms Public discussion forum for all MMORPG games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10th October 2013, 10:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 13

Default Playing GW2 and want to know about current mmorpg trends

Hello.
I have joined in TOG for War Thunder and i am playing Guild Wars 2 in fort aspenwood server (na) with my christian community members.I am really comfortable about gw2 but sometime i feel like i am missing something most of the time (capitalism and its endless fight to make me spend money).I feel dedicated to GW2 as i said but want to check other games from time to time.I have played Eve Online for 6 years.And i had rage quit it.
I have played Wow , The Secret World as well and their end game contet drove me crazy as well.I want to see what Elder Scrolls Online look like and i have applied for Nosgoth - Home this games beta test.
Only i want from a mmorpg is not feeling like i am ruining my life while playing it or playing something underquality while spending my lifes precious moments.
I am open to any alternatives.Thank you for reading this.
Brobding is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10th October 2013, 12:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1384

Mellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brobding View Post
Only i want from a mmorpg is not feeling like i am ruining my life while playing it or playing something underquality while spending my lifes precious moments.
My first suggestion would be to give up mmorpgs, gameplay on these has really not evolved over the years, it is made up of lots of mind numbing tedium and repetition. To me what makes an mmo is who you're chatting to on voice comms while mindlessly clicking. The best fun can be had in the worst game if you're playing with friends.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Brootal666
Brootal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2013, 10:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Spammer - Post: 25484

Amused

Quote:
Hello.
I have joined in TOG for War Thunder and i am playing Guild Wars 2 in fort aspenwood server (na) with my christian community members.I am really comfortable about gw2 but sometime i feel like i am missing something most of the time (capitalism and its endless fight to make me spend money).I feel dedicated to GW2 as i said but want to check other games from time to time.I have played Eve Online for 6 years.And i had rage quit it.
I have played Wow , The Secret World as well and their end game contet drove me crazy as well.I want to see what Elder Scrolls Online look like and i have applied for Nosgoth - Home this games beta test.
One MMORPG is more or less like another. Some are more easier\difficult, or guided\sandbox, and more polished than others but the basic mechanics aren't all that different.

I hop around between MMO's a lot mostly to check out the story and what they have to offer but I usually drift on to the next after a while. I don't really get utterly drawn into them as I did in my younger days (daze?).

GW2 isn't a bad one as they go and in most regards would give you an idea of what its contemporaries are like, but if you just want a change of scenery\story there's plenty more. As for the costs involved with subscription based mmo's, I compare what $15 would get me at other things (a couple beers maybe? Not even a movie ticket anymore...) and it doesn't really bother me at all.

Hope you find what you're after, or at least enjoy the ride while you search.

We need you, Citizen!
Reoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2013, 02:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Craft Leader
Elder Scrolls Online
Deadly - Post: 2398

Dead

Go back to EVE.... you know you want to.

In all seriousness though. I had a similar train of thought about 12 months ago. There are a lot of good games out there that are, as a fellow TOGger says, themepark games. Once you ride all the rides it gets a litle boring.

I went back to EVE for that very reason. Sandbox for the win. Maybe try a few of the less linear games coming up, like The Repopulation (https://www.therepopulation.com/).

Last edited by Blue_Talon; 14th October 2013 at 02:42 PM.
Blue_Talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2013, 07:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
Division Captain
Star Citizen / EvE Online
Deadly - Post: 1330 TOG Gold Level Supporter

Busy

If Star Citizen will deliver 75% what they are promising it would mean good mmo for few years to come.

Wence Out

Join us! Star Citizen - TOG Fleet――――――――EVE Online - TOG Alliance
Characters: Wenceslaus; Morava ――――――――21 days free ΞṾΞ trial
Wenceslaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2013, 05:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
Division Captain
Lord of the Rings
Deadly - Post: 2295

If you are familiar with the Tolkien Universe ("The Hobbit" and "Lord of the Rings") you might enjoy The Lord of the Rings Online (LOTRO.)

TOG sponsors a LOTRO division that has two guilds (kinships), one for the European members and the other for North America / Australia players.

Two comments to help you decide whether to check it out:

1 - It's been extremely popular since its launch more than 6 years ago and in terms of having stuff to do, it's huge. You can play one of the four Tolkien races (Dwarf, Elf, Hobbit or Human) and one of nine classes. (Note: You can also "roll" more than one character.) It's available in a F2P mode or paid subscription (which, if you *really* get into it, is actually cheaper.) There are tons of quests, solo content through large raids (24 people working together on a single goal), crafting, hobbies (fishing), all kinds of seasonal activities (Spring Festival, Farmer's Fair, and more) and even some silliness (like chicken session play) to keep you occupied for as long as you can sit in the chair. For some people it's become a primary means of socializing and the two kinships have spawned more than a few real life friendships. My wife and I have played it together since shortly after the launch and loved it.

2 - There's a major expansion coming out in about one month (mid-November) and it's got a lot of people very upset. The producer, Warner Brothers / Turbine, is overhauling the classes to the extent that people who've been playing the game for years feel like their favorite pet is dying. There may be some very negative vibes for a while. However, as a new player the overhaul wouldn't really affect you since you wouldn't be losing anything you'd built under the old system, meaning that might not be an issue for you.

If you are familiar with the story, as of the expansion it'll cover all of Middle-earth from The Shire to Rohan. Presumably over the next couple or three years it should include Gondor and ultimately let you participate in the final diversionary battle in front of the Black Gates.

If you decide to check it out, you can download the software from here (be prepared for up to eight hours of downloading and installing ... like I said, it's a huge world and it takes time to get it into your computer) and you can join one of the two kinships by going here for European or here for North America / Australia. I suggest you start out F2P to see if it appeals, and if it does you can upgrade to subscription (about $13.00 a month which is cheaper if you pay quarterly or yearly) and that will remove the locks on F2P access.

Good luck on finding the right game to fulfill your entertainment needs. Who knows, maybe it'll be LOTRO.

Last edited by Grayman; 24th October 2013 at 05:19 AM.
Grayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2013, 05:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1422

Psychedelic

Agreed on both EVE and LOTRO above when it comes to the classics!

Elder Scrolls and EQ Next are the two on the top on my 'upcoming' list. A bit of the same old, but with enough of a sandbox twist to make them interesting... something that has really been lacking in mainstream MMOs since Vanguard. You can actually build stuff that lasts!!

Star Citizen has some real potential as well, though I'm not sure whether it's even a 2014 title.
Old 3rd November 2013, 10:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 2754

Buzzed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brootal View Post
My first suggestion would be to give up mmorpgs, gameplay on these has really not evolved over the years, it is made up of lots of mind numbing tedium and repetition. To me what makes an mmo is who you're chatting to on voice comms while mindlessly clicking. The best fun can be had in the worst game if you're playing with friends.

Oddly I had the most fun playing Warhammer Online and it was one of the worst MMO's by most people's reckoning. It depends largely on who you are playing with and how much success you are having as a group.

That being said the current trend in MMO's is for easy, soloable content with lots of little in game treadmills.

----------------
Have you ever really wanted to be a total rebel flipping tables on the enemy? - Vi themesong LOL
solarbear88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2013, 11:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
Average - Post: 126

Quote:
Hello.

I have no answer to you, alas, but I feel with you. Too often these days I feel MMos rob us of money and our lifetime more than being a contribution. They changed. They want money back and fro from us and more and more became mindless grind instead of cool adventure.

Alas, I dont see the old fashioned MMO without it.
Akim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2013, 02:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Division Captain
Warframe
Deadly - Post: 1241

It's hard to recommend a game without knowing too much about your likes/dislikes.
There's such a huge variety of online games out there at the moment.

I guess it comes down to a couple of questions:

Do you want:
  • to be with others or do you mostly go solo? (do you use voice coms?)
  • in depth story?
  • detailed crafting?
  • just end game content, pre-end game content or a balance?
  • character customization?
  • variety of classes and/or abilities?
  • voice overs or text?
  • good graphics?
  • arcade level of control or more of a micro-manage/complex system?
  • any particular theme ? (sci-fi, magic, real world tech)
  • free to play or subscription based
  • micro transaction heavy or light or non-existent.
  • gore light or heavy?
  • Sand box play or theme park style?
  • FPS, Sim, RPG, Strat or a mix?
  • dedication of time required or casual commitment?
There's a couple of basic game categories that come to mind.

F2P with micro transactions that you need in order to enjoy the game.
F2P with micro transactions that are mostly social or for items you can get while playing anyway.
F2P after you buy the game, with no real obligation.
Free to acquire games, but with a subscription.
Pay to acquire games with a subscription.

I wouldn't want to make a recruitment post without knowing what style of game is probably going to be most suitable for you.

I'm sure there's plenty of TOG who will recommend a game or three anyway

-roob
roob is offline   Reply With Quote