Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > MMORPG Games: The Realms

MMORPG Games: The Realms Public discussion forum for all MMORPG games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 2nd May 2014, 10:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 2666

Default Defiance Free-to-Play Arrives June 4!

don't understand why they're doing it, but they are.
It was B2P, and now going F2P it appears
Quote:
Ark hunters,

Fuel up your roller and stock up on ammo because your world is about to get a whole lot bigger: just in time for Season 2 of the Syfy series, an entire planet’s worth of EGO users, arkfall chasers, and most importantly Defiance fans are joining the fray!

Today we’re excited to announce that Trion Worlds’ post-apocalyptic massively co-op online cyberwestern shooter will be adding a new descriptor to its already meaty description: Defiance is going to become free-to-play. Starting June 4 on PC and mid-July on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, players will be able to download the Defiance client and experience the entire Bay Area storyline, original end-game content, and future missions completely for free. This may be cause for some concern from our current ark hunters, and that’s understandable as we haven’t detailed how we’re going to treat you, our frontier pioneers, like the wasteland kings and queens you are.

You’ll be glad to hear that all Defiance owners (existing badland adventurers such as yourselves) will enjoy more of everything than the greenhorns emerging from dropships and taking their first shaky footsteps in the Bay Area. You’ll continue to enjoy more character slots, loadouts, ark keycode capacity, and inventory slots than free-to-play accounts. For those looking to expand what they already have, we’ll even be offering increases to these limits.

Additionally, all players who purchased a boxed or digital copy of Defiance will receive a one-time grant of 1,000 Arkforge, redeemable for resetting weapon mastery, upgrading your weapon’s power rating, or even bumping an uncommon weapon to epic rarity. But we’re not done yet! Our veteran ark hunters will also enjoy 30 days of Paradise Patron status when Defiance begins its free-to-play service. Paradise Patrons receive:
  • Boosts to skill, XP, scrip, salvage, and reputation gain rates that stack with boosts available in the store.
  • 10% store-wide discount on boosts, costumes, lock boxes – all of it!
  • A daily grab bag of two-hour boosts.
  • Arkforge from Daily and Weekly Ark Hunter Bonus Lock Boxes. (Playing on Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3? Be sure to link your account to get this bonus!)
With RIFT, ArcheAge, and Trove, our free-to-play policy is simple: “No Tricks, No Traps” – and you better believe Defiance will follow that mantra as well. That means we aren’t designing Defiance in such a way where spending real-world money in the game’s store is necessary to progress or to win. Look forward to free crossover content throughout Season 2!

Still have questions about this change? Be sure to tune in to our Twitch livestream on Friday where Creative Lead Trick Dempsey and Senior Community Relations Manager Evan “Scapes” Berman field questions you have about what this means for the game and our development plans moving forward. We’ve also published a detailed comparison of benefits veteran adventurers will enjoy versus new recruits. Lastly, we have lots planned for Defiance once free-to-play arrives and look forward to revealing what’s in store!

Welcome to the new age of freedom, veteran ark hunters! We’re glad you’re with us for this next chapter in the story of Defiance. Paradise is about to get an arkfall’s worth of new residents!

Read the full article on the website.
looking at the Comparison page, what one gets from the free to play is not that great, really need at least 3 loadouts, having 2 is messed up. the Max Inventory for F2P .. your screwed again. 50 would had been a good number. The rest is all one needs, though not sure about the Ark key codes, for the tier4 lock boxes, you need 75, also need that much for purchasing epic faction mods lock boxes. other then that the 50 ark key codes is plenty. Unless they change what's needed for the tier 4 stuff (keycode wise)
AoC - Daxaat , Chanaakat, Xaatbear
Anarcy Online - about 4 dozen characters
Taking a Break -
D&DO , LotRo

Last edited by Imfir; 2nd May 2014 at 10:15 AM.
Imfir is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 2nd May 2014, 11:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 475

Yeah, I just got the email as well.
Hows the game been ?
I'm looking forward to season 2, so might try & find some time to jump back in.
@Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2014, 02:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have only been playing DEFI for 2 months.. So my thoughts and opinion are my own

the Latest patch really messed how one plays , they added a scaling system, that failed, they're working on that. it's getting better each week, but not fast enough.

you no longer need to reset the weapons mastery , you now can earn EXP with the weapons mastered, only reason to reset mastery is to change mastery that you received from mastering the weapon, that's if you don;t like it, and want to take a chance on a better one

They added Armor, . . . not enough, . . the NPC's can have 5X more armor . . .and they seem to have a unlimted supply of armor repair stims where us, the players are only limited to 10, and they go fast. There are some help from perks and Protection spikes, but very little.

you die a lot more due to the new scaling and Armor, and dieing lowers your score, towards the reward you would receive.
The scoring system dose not reward those that do the most damage.

there are more to list, but those are my only peeve's, (That I can recall at this moment) and I can live with them and still enjoy the game
Other then what I listed I believe nothing much has changed, but some DLC's, in others words still the same, of what I know of the game, and my knowledge is limited
Taking a Break -
D&DO , LotRo

Old 2nd May 2014, 06:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 2937

Cheerful

Ohh, free. I like that word. Did want to try this, but at the time wasn't interested in buying it.
xenoph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2014, 08:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

there is the free trial, only limits you to playing in the first 2 zones

also you use this site , to get all the 120 arkfall codes needed to increase inventory, and getting some other goodies, even if you were just playing on the trial account
Taking a Break -
D&DO , LotRo

Old 5th May 2014, 04:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 2703

Exclamation

Hi Guys,

I haven't played Defiance in about 6 months time or so. I have sorta kept up with the news on and off in the mean while. I am also looking forward to Season 2 of the SyFy television series coming this June.

It seems the new Modus Operandi for game developers launching an MMO. Recoup costs with original client box sales and/or a game subscription. In "Trion Worlds" case with "Defiance" it wasn't a game subscription but quarterly game boosters as mini expansions. What many of us came to understand as the Season Pass coming in at $40 for 5 boosters or $10 a pop piece meal.

I'm glad now I never purchased the season pass, but I did fork over 10 bucks for the first game booster. Which I barely explored before moving onto Firefall and now subsequently ESO.

Now it seems game developers are running out the clock in order to ride the hype wave. To gather as much income in any business model configuration before being forced by reality to a F2P model. A single Mmorpg like "World of Warcraft" can support millions of players globally. However a dozen or more MMO game titles of exceeding or nominal quality to WoW can't each support those numbers. So the game developers / publishers hedge their bets until landing on their intended original business model. After the first year of retail after launching the game.

Eventually this shell game of a pretzel business model(s) with a customer base is making consumers less trusting. Rather than more with the MMO games industry overall it appears. So far it seems SOE is the lone exception so far not playing such tricks on their customers. Unlike these independent game studios hashed by pros and new comers alike from major past games.

This western global economy is getting better in certain sectors of each society. Entertainment spending is gradually going to return, but we're still in a lag period before that will occur, perhaps a couple years more? These shenanigans by game developers will piss off more than build confidence from gamers / consumers alike.

Last edited by Atrayo; 5th May 2014 at 04:21 PM.
Atrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2014, 09:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

just a bump
just a few more days from now

settings are at the lowest, I'm playing on 10 year old tech, I can run at higher settings but the load times take even longer

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rightstuff DEFI.JPG (153.8 KB, 88 views)
Taking a Break -
D&DO , LotRo

Old 3rd June 2014, 10:56 AM   #8 (permalink)

Default Major Patch Update: 6/4/14 - 9 AM PDT / 4 PM GMT - All Platforms

Major Patch Update: 6/4/14 - 9 AM PDT / 4 PM GMT - All Platforms

Quote:
Hi all,

Wednesday morning, Defiance 2.0, The NSFW Patch will go live. To push this update, we will be updating both the client and the server. All platforms will be down for approximately *** 4.5 hours. ***

Note: While this update will contain game content for both PS3™ and Xbox 360®, they will not be going Free-to-Play at the same time as PC. For that, we are targeting July 15.

Major Patch Update:
Date: June 4th, 2014
Time: 9 AM PDT / 4 PM GMT
Duration: 4.5 hours
Taking a Break -
D&DO , LotRo

Old 19th June 2014, 05:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

Taking a Break -
D&DO , LotRo

Old 25th June 2014, 01:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 475

lol, I actually just did alot of that storyline tonight. Was fun. NFI what I was doin, but fun. Guess I should ask for some help here.....
I saw Nolan & Irisa just hangin around on the road last week. So really hoping I can catch up with them sometime.
Thought S2E01 was good. Looking forward to the season ahead.
@Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote