Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > MMORPG Games: The Realms

MMORPG Games: The Realms Public discussion forum for all MMORPG games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 5th August 2014, 01:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 38

Lurking
Default Non-gamer tries MMO, dislikes quests

Not sure if this is the right place to put it, but I thought this might be kind of interesting to some people.

A Non-Gamer in a Massively Multiplayer Online World | JunkiesNation

I actually like ArcheAge myself, but as a veteran, I kind of feel the same way. I don't want to log in and quest and level, I just want to play. The zones, though, are really tiered, and levels are hugely important. This may sound awful, but after hitting the max level so many times in so many games, leading raids and events, I feel like I'm entitled to a max level character whenever I pick up a new MMO just so I can actually play "the game" rather than plod through the extended tutorial known as "leveling." Really sucks, since I'd been following AA for so long but might now just be burnt out on MMOs unless they're without levels (like PlanetSide 2 or Everquest Landmark). Funny that a new player kind of notices that too.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 5th August 2014, 01:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1412

Psychedelic

It's a personality thing. Some people can/never will like a game you have to slowly invest you time into to reap the benefits. Other's love the time investment you share with your buddies to get to a certain point in a game. There's no right or wrong. It's simply about preference.

I love Archeage because it's the first game in a while that has put any value in actually playing the game long term. My main love is Battlefield, and I can play that anytime I want a quick fix. But a world you can be a part of as opposed to this afternoon's session is a rare commodity these days.

I feel a bit sorry for someone who can't enjoy the occasional quest. You don't know what you are missing!
Old 5th August 2014, 06:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 914

Psychedelic

I think there maybe a market for a raid only mmo, u start start raiding with 5,10, 20, 40, 100 and 200 men raids, in any order you wish.
Old 5th August 2014, 07:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

Lurking

Without a doubt there's a market for raid only games! But MMOs aren't just raiding or questing. I've jumped back into Asheron's Call 1 a bit lately and forgot what a "real" MMO was like. That is, a game that doesn't have a quest log, yellow exclamation marks everywhere, and asks you to really be in the world. Instead of running around milking the game for content, you go to NPC to honestly see what they have to say. You follow the lore for fun mostly.

When there is a quest, because they're actually quests and not chores, it's epic. You need to do some sort of puzzle that's actually a puzzle and not some sort of glorified tutorial testing your ability to press the highlighted buzzer like some kind of trained dog.

I like a lot of ArcheAge's content. I've played it in Korean and Japanese to about level 20 but... that's when I get bored. That's when I notice the game's really unwilling to just let me explore. I NEED to level because that's how I get better gear and not die when I want to look over a hill. My level dictates aggro range, so being a higher level means I can explore more easily. MMOs were NOT always like this, and I feel like the newbie in this article really highlighted the idea that these games should be inspiring something more creative than "go grind xp until you've earned the right to explore the world."

Some quests can be fun, yes. But I've yet to do a quest with a ! that was half as memorable as the quests and non-scripted scenarios I've stumbled upon (unless said scripted events involved GMs taking control of a lore character and interacting with the players).
Old 5th August 2014, 10:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Average - Post: 237

Happy

Dengar, are you aware of Shroud of the Avatar? If not it may interest you due to its direction where it's harkening back to the old school days of no quest markers, bit more self lead discoveries etc. Just a thought.
Star Wars: The Old Republic
Branthax <> Bounty Hunter <> Shield Tech
Axzallithor <> Sith Warrior <> Vengeance
Kaladan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2014, 12:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 2754

Buzzed

I think the comment that real people looked "too busy" to interact with was quite interesting. I see this as a fundamental flaw with mmos.

----------------
Have you ever really wanted to be a total rebel flipping tables on the enemy? - Vi themesong LOL
solarbear88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2014, 02:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1412

Psychedelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Some quests can be fun, yes. But I've yet to do a quest with a ! that was half as memorable as the quests and non-scripted scenarios I've stumbled upon (unless said scripted events involved GMs taking control of a lore character and interacting with the players).
You have a point there! Out of all the MMOs I've played, SWTOR was one of the few with truly memorable quests. But that had a lot to do with them designing it after a single player game, and it ended up playing more like one.
Old 6th August 2014, 08:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 2754

Buzzed

Quote:Though she was only level 4 when she was done playing, I felt she said something very telling about the current situation of the modern MMO:*“So those people*(quest NPCSs)*were basically giving the player simple quests… not a big adventure?” On her own she made that distinction between quests and “adventures.”

I felt this was very important.

----------------
Have you ever really wanted to be a total rebel flipping tables on the enemy? - Vi themesong LOL
solarbear88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2014, 09:29 AM   #9 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1700

Fine

I miss quests like EQ epic quests.

They were definitely an adventure.....
Old 7th August 2014, 12:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
You have a point there! Out of all the MMOs I've played, SWTOR was one of the few with truly memorable quests. But that had a lot to do with them designing it after a single player game, and it ended up playing more like one.

That is EXACTLY why I wanted them to make KOTR3 instead =( I just can't keep doing the grindy quests in SWTOR for the cut scenes I crave. I've got... um, I think 3 characters to complete their class quests, and have gotten to various stages for others, but the usual "kill 10 of these" stuff all over the galaxy makes me went to aim the deathstar at my own head -_-

I've heard of Shroud of the Avatar, but I'm going to wait and see what happens. The only Kickstarters I've given money to are Citizens of Earth (which failed, but then got picked up by freaking Atlus so they didn't need my money ;P ), and I think Grave. Yeah, both are single player games, because they had working demos and, if things go sour, they could at least push the game out and I can own it forever, rather than watch it shut down and know that my investment is truly dead.