Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others > Pen and paper games

Pen and paper games Discuss ADND, Warhammer and other PnP games here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13th November 2007, 07:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by TickledBlue View Post
Yeah those table definately rocked! But I found the character generation and general mechanics a bit painful - mind you this was the original version I got when I was a kid back in the eighties. I got a more updated version of SpaceMaster as a prize at Arcarnacon a long time ago and it seemed to have cleaned up nicely... but still a little too crunchie for me

You could give Warhammer fantasy a look, it had its own critical hit tables and the system was wonderfully stylised and more simple. Easy for everyone to pick up and play, but with enough tweaks to keep players happy. Plus its a very evocative setting.

i think the already best ever . .

theyounggamers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 16th November 2007, 03:11 AM   #12 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 568

Confused

I played Arkham Horror with the first expansion with five other players and had a great time, although it was a very long match (it took something like seven hours to finish). I bought a copy but haven't used it yet. I'm more interested in trying games like the ones about the princes of Florence but can't find copies locally.
paenggoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2007, 06:38 AM   #13 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 645

Lurking

I used to play anything and everything I could get my hands on for my gaming group back in the US. (Rifts, AD&D 2nd Ed, D&D 3rd Ed and 3.5 ed, Battle Lords, Battletech, and many more.)

Since moving to Melbourne, I haven't really gamed. My books are sitting on the shelf collecting dust.

◄█|||(<>)|)||█Ξ[▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓)
medicated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2007, 11:42 AM   #14 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 22

I used to play quite a bit of D&D but for last 12 months my shift has focussed more on independant RPGs influenced by theory at The Forge.

My favourites so far are The Burning Wheel and Burning Empires.

That said Im watching 4th edition D&D developments with keen interest.

Last edited by insmouth; 27th November 2007 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Fixed broken link
insmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2007, 05:48 PM   #15 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 30

I'm doing Heroic Cthulhu. Been lucky enough to get to game with fantomas for one weekend; hope to do it again soon. He is a brilliant gamer - very bad difference in our time zones.

Last edited by logan9a; 27th November 2007 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Clarification.
logan9a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2007, 06:59 PM   #16 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 776 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

If you live in the USA and get a chance, definitely see if you can hook up for a game with Logan. It was great fun & reminded me why Cthulhu style games are my favourite!

He also does the occasional game online via skype (still working on ventrilo recording). Pity the time differences between Chicago & Melbourne are so great otherwise I would easily enjoy trying to play as often as possible with him & the others who do the online gaming.
fantomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2008, 03:57 AM   #17 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 568

Confused

Arkham Horror with a Lovecraft fan group, but I'd like to try CoC because I've never played PnP RPG.
paenggoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2008, 11:38 AM   #18 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by paenggoy View Post
because I've never played PnP RPG.
I'd definately recommend trying it out.
logan9a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2008, 01:29 PM   #19 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Deadly - Post: 2167

Mellow

Most often we play D20 Modern with young (18-20 year old) characters who were friends through school (different schools, brought together by family tragedies).

Lately, we've done an alternate universe version where these characters were bitten by Vampires (2 of them) and Werewolves (2 of them) and 2 of them are still human, but ultra-geek-gadgeteers.

We use a mixture of D20 Modern, D20 Future, Urban Arcana, After Sunset, a medley of Blood and _______ books, some house rules, and a bunch of World of Darkness books as reference material.
Gorbag Bloodmaw - Charr Thief 80. Chef, Jeweler.
Egil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2008, 03:55 AM   #20 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 45

Default d20 Modern

Playing a d20 Modern Military unit game currently with some Swods Edge Materials and Blood and Guts stuff as well as Ultrmodern Firearms.

In the vein of the TV show "The Unit" but based in Canada. More of a real life game as there are no Monsters or Magic etc. Sort of like a pen and paper Rainbow 6.
Major.Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote