Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others > Pen and paper games

Pen and paper games Discuss ADND, Warhammer and other PnP games here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 2nd November 2007, 10:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 776 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Default What are you playing at the moment?

To get the ball rolling with the new section.....

Currently I'm involved with to RPGs.

On Tuesday nights I'm playing a home brew Sci-Fi game. Rules are based off second ed World of Darkness.

On Thursday nights I'm playing in a Shadowrun game. Rules are 4th ed. Background has been changed a bit. Year is 2050, we are all teenagers (eg my char's age is 14) and trying to survive in Hong Kong without any family - street kids/gang. From the character's perspective UGE, goblinisation, magic etc has yet to occur. Timeline different to that of Shadowrun canon
fantomas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 2nd November 2007, 11:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 45

Inspired

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantomas View Post

On Tuesday nights I'm playing a home brew Sci-Fi game. Rules are based off second ed World of Darkness.
I also play with fant in this one - lots of fun with high falutin' concepts and giant squid aliens that humans should not ken

Quote:
On Thursday nights I'm playing in a Shadowrun game. Rules are 4th ed. Background has been changed a bit. Year is 2050, we are all teenagers (eg my char's age is 14) and trying to survive in Hong Kong without any family - street kids/gang. From the character's perspective UGE, goblinisation, magic etc has yet to occur. Timeline different to that of Shadowrun canon
I'm actually running this one

Although given the variable player turnout each week, I must be doing a bloody awful job (come back Johnny we miss you)
Old 2nd November 2007, 12:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by TickledBlue View Post
I also play with fant in this one - lots of fun with high falutin' concepts and giant squid aliens that humans should not ken

I'm actually running this one

Although given the variable player turnout each week, I must be doing a bloody awful job (come back Johnny we miss you)
I play in this game too! Dude, I think you do a splendid job! I can tell you it has nothing to do with you or your DM-ing.....
dragonlibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2007, 04:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Moderator
Jia
Retired Moderator
Elite - Post: 2914

I play with a group of friends on a regular basis. We take turns DMing, and each of us has his/her personal preferences when it comes to which system we're going to have our players use.

At the moment we have a Shadowrun 4th ED group (the characters are located in Hamburg, Germany), a DSA group (a system developed in Germany; it's an ordinary fantasy setting) and a D&D group (3rd ED, though I'd like to go back to AD&D 2nd ED simply because I like it better, and I'm thinking about introducing the characters to Planescape on the long run).
Old 3rd November 2007, 02:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator
Lethal - Post: 6460

Happy

I havn't played in years... but when I did, I definately enjoyed it. (AD&D)

Sir Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2007, 08:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 843 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

About to start a Rolemaster fantasy campaign on Wed nights. We finished an extremely long running AD&Dv2 Forgotten Realms campaign about 6 months ago. We've been testing short runs of various systems and genres since then to determine what our next campaign will be.
DaBang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2007, 08:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 776 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Love the critical hit & fumble tables of Rolemaster. Played in a campaign several years ago. Have the boxed set at home somewhere. A friend who's been running some homebrew fantasy games borrows from some of the source books.
fantomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2007, 02:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 45

Inspired

Quote:
Love the critical hit & fumble tables of Rolemaster.
Yeah those table definately rocked! But I found the character generation and general mechanics a bit painful - mind you this was the original version I got when I was a kid back in the eighties. I got a more updated version of SpaceMaster as a prize at Arcarnacon a long time ago and it seemed to have cleaned up nicely... but still a little too crunchie for me

You could give Warhammer fantasy a look, it had its own critical hit tables and the system was wonderfully stylised and more simple. Easy for everyone to pick up and play, but with enough tweaks to keep players happy. Plus its a very evocative setting.
Old 9th November 2007, 09:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4477 TOG Gold Level Supporter

I'm currently in an AD&D 3.5ed game that meets every other weekend (and has been going for just over a year). We're playing in a home brew setting using just the core rulebooks (PH, DMG, MM) and it's been tremendously fun.

Quote:
Love the critical hit & fumble tables of Rolemaster. Played in a campaign several years ago. Have the boxed set at home somewhere. A friend who's been running some homebrew fantasy games borrows from some of the source books.
Ah, I miss RM and SM sometimes. I had a group of buddies in college that gamed and we played everything from D&D to RM to GURPS to one guy's homebrew system. Good times.
Old 13th November 2007, 06:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 2062

Twisted

I used to play AD&D 2nd Ed. Forgotten Realms, but all the players moved away/grew up/went onto other things.

I still have 3 x A3 boxes full of AD&D Core modules, Rule Books, FR Modules, etc... and I just cant seem to permit myself to do away with them. Even though my wife thinks the stuff is "Total Crap!"

I loved the whole roll the dice experience. Even had brief go at Shaddowrun and Mechwarrior. But AD&D was the best. Would love to get back into it, but time is very limited atm, RL and Everquest2 takes up all my time.

one day.... one day..... I shall return!