Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others > Pen and paper games

Pen and paper games Discuss ADND, Warhammer and other PnP games here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16th April 2008, 01:34 PM   #31 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1825

I think MMOs have really scratched the itch when it comes to roll-playing. The amount of tweaking and analysis the player can do is quite high. They never argue with the DM over the rules because the game is the rules. God help the devs that patch a change the players dont like though. MMOs are easy to get into, cater to a lot of playstyles and are very attractive.

Role-playing is where PnP can still have a place. MMOs must stictly limit the actions of characters and the story never changes. Everyone gets the same experience. In PnP the world reacts to the players and a good GM is needed to be able to alter the story as the characters progress.

Unfortunately that's where many GMs come apart. They believe that they control the story and so there are many things a player may not do. (like kill the main quest giver -lol) A GM that can absorb erratic behaviour and continue the setting in a believable manner is a gem imo. When the "hero's" become the villians and the game continues with the GM introducing appropriate goals to suit the temperament of the group is an example of the best in PnP gaming.

Ultimately when player decisions are more important than the outcomes, this is my favourite kind of RPG. If the only decision 90% of the time is "kill it"...count me out.

Last edited by bochaba; 16th April 2008 at 01:36 PM.
bochaba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 16th October 2008, 07:40 PM   #32 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 31

Cold

Sadly MMOs I think have murdered PNP type games. There's still some out there who gather and play it - but a PBEM (Play By Email) game I was hosting and doing two turns weekly - began to fall apart when World of Warcraft came into everyone's life...
Tawmis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2008, 08:27 AM   #33 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 2

I think it varies greatly from one group to another... Since I started gaming young, I definitely began as a "roll" player, though over the past 16 years of playing AD&D I have gravitated more towards "role" playing. Now, story and in-depth characters are really what I enjoy. Bring on those long, mulit-year epic campaigns!

With that said, the best gaming group I was in could be classified as both. The DM (who is a video game designer now) would start up the session like normal, and within half an hour get a feel for the group's mood. If we were up to a more "role" playing atmosphere we would always take that route. But sometimes its hard to pull it all together, so we just broke down into "roll" playing. Seamless transition with a good DM.
Luthais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 03:21 AM   #34 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 34

Depends who the GM is. I've played in campaigns where we just got fed teeming multitudes of orcs and other assorted minion type creatures and two weeks game time on the road from one place to another gets covered in 4 words - "OK, you get there". That was a bucket'o'dice game. At the same time, with the same group of players, I've GM'ed 6 hour sessions of WHFRP without a weapon ever being drawn. Most certainly role-player, me.
Uncle Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2009, 09:19 AM   #35 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Deadly - Post: 1541

Bitchy

IMO, it depends on both the GM and the group you play with. I'm more of a role-player myself, but that doesn't mean I don't like the roll-playing part as well. It really depends on what is going on in a session. One night could be totally story driven, while the next you are just plainly trying to escape from the enemies clutch. I think what makes good group is one that can balance both aspects
Old 13th January 2009, 06:37 AM   #36 (permalink)
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator
Lethal - Post: 5868

Lurking

Agreed with Caro. I believe the game has to be balanced. A good story but there has to get some fun exciting times with combat and rolls of the dice. A good balance is whats needed in my games.

I did play one time when the DM kept the character sheets and role played the leveling of a mage. You can't explain it but you can now cast another spell or two or get an inch to cast more difficult spells. No one knew who was stronger or who was more intellegent but it was fun watch the characters fight it out role play wise
The mage was told after the adventure was up that he was tweo levels higher then he realized... made him mad but he laughed it off. Years down the road we still claim he was the least smartest of the group and the fighter was smarter then the mage.
Old 14th January 2009, 03:30 AM   #37 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Deadly - Post: 1541

Bitchy

I did play something similar where the DM kept the character sheet. All started based on the all to familiar plot device of the hero (me the player in this case) suffering from amnesia and waking up in a weird place. I had some basic ideas of what I was capable of, but that was all. Everything I wanted to do I had to be roleplayed and very descriptive. Ended up being one of the greatest adventure I ever did. The DM constructed such a story that it hit me like a rock when I finally discovered that I was a vampire.
Old 5th February 2009, 04:26 PM   #38 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Officer On Leave
Elite - Post: 3520

Tired

I love TOG! I keep finding new and wonderful forums!!

I'm really a role player at heart, but you need the impartiality of the dice to determine all the bits and pieces that cant reasonably be role-played.

I particularly love fitting my mind into particularly interesting characters, even when it's not always in the party's best interests to do so. One of my favourite role play characters was a supremely able monk (named Yarsin Narsin-Varsin) who was an almost total pacifist. He would only fight to defend a life, and even then only ever to disable. He would attempt to mediate with ork ambushes and educate brigands on the evil on the way and was often disabling party members in an attempt to prevent aggression against our aggressors. It was all greatly amusing to me but I could see the other players were getting a bit miffed so I volunteered to sacrifice myself to hold back a particularly nasty critter while the party made their escape. So skilled was Yarsin that he was capable of completely fending off the monsters multitude of attacks almost indefinitely, so the party (not being serious roleplayers and not caring that they had no way of telling how the fight was going) returned and beat the creature to a pulp while it had it's attention focussed on
him. Ahh well!

One thing I really can't stand in roleplaying, is when players/DMs get too tied up in the rules. I think they should always be considered a guideline and should never get in the way of the enjoyment of the game. Some argue that you need to follow the rules to maintain balance in a game, and to that I would have to say if you need rules to prevent you abusing super powerful game mechanics then you are a powergamer, admit it and start attending powergamers anonymous sessions.
Old 5th February 2009, 04:34 PM   #39 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Officer On Leave
Elite - Post: 3520

Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by TickledBlue View Post
At the moment I'm running Shadowrun...
Oh mah lordy, my favourite rpg of all time, and you look to be a Melbournite as well!! Any room? Or do you know any other avid Shadowrunners who you could recommend me to? To me? Anything for a game of Shadowrun!!!
Old 7th February 2009, 12:18 AM   #40 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Squad Officer
Left 4 Dead
Lethal - Post: 7440

Yeehaw

I once played a game similar to a tabletop war game except it came with no miniatures and you used the entire lounge room to play it. The game was contained in a single rule book and your army was simply your collection of teddy bears and toys. You'd flick though the rule book and it would have tables identifying different aspects of teddy bears and toys and based on things like size, fur or plastic, colour, wheels, transformable, animal type, number of limbs etc etc etc -- it would basically build character sheets for each teddy/toy then you'd battle it out. Bizzare, but good fun. One of the more memorable games I've played. And before you ask, yes, it had plenty of rules to accommodate robotech and transformers figures Can't remember the name of it though

Although my fav pen and paper RPGs would have to be Paranoia and Amber, amber is a really good one if you get good people to play it (kinda need to read the novel first though), it's completely diceless - a true "role" playing game if there ever was one. Amber Diceless Roleplaying Game - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Drac; 7th February 2009 at 12:23 AM.
Drac is offline   Reply With Quote