Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others > Pen and paper games

Pen and paper games Discuss ADND, Warhammer and other PnP games here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15th November 2007, 10:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 776 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Default Are you a Roll-player or a Role-player?

What sort of game do you prefer, one that is rules heavy or one where the rules are light?

Personally I've been leaning towards more rules light games lately. For example a few months ago a game I was involved in (run by TickledBlue) started with no character sheets. We played for a couple of months only making the occasional dice roll and did not have any stats or skills etc noted down. It went quite well. Part of it being because everyone had come up with a character concept & background which allowed for having a basic idea of what we could & couldn't do.

All the RPGs I've played in the last couple of years it's been the setting/the background/the story and journey that I've enjoyed. The rules are just something to assist. If the rules get in the way of this then the rules go out the door.

The people who have run the games I've played have handled this quite well & not gotten bogged down in the rules.
fantomas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 16th November 2007, 03:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 568

Confused

I've never played PnP RPG. What is the difference between the two? Is the roll-player like the one who players D&D, where there are a few rules but actions decided upon using dice, and the second like the one who plays a game like Advanced Squad Leader, where there may be some random factor involved but actions decided upon using several tables containing values?
paenggoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2007, 11:52 AM   #3 (permalink)

To me a Roll-player is someone where the rules/mechanics of the game are quite important to them, to some more important than the actual story you are trying to tell. A role-player is someone who is more interested in the story of the RPG & doesn't get bogged down in the rules.

For example, several years ago someone I used to RP with was always tweaking the rules of a game to get them more perfect, especially when it came to combat. He was forever trying to come up with & modify the combat rules to make them more realistic when it came to gun combat. Another example of a roll-player is what people call a Rules-Lawyer.
Old 22nd November 2007, 03:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Moderator
Jia
Retired Moderator
Elite - Post: 2914

I'm definitely a role-player. I try to give all the characters that I play their own voice and personality, which makes the interaction with the other player's characters and non-player characters quite fun and interesting.

I used to DM a group for a couple of years, at one point we went on for about six months before one of the players noticed that I hadn't given their characters any experience since then. I love to play with people who are more interested in the story and the character development than improving the numbers on their character sheets!
Old 22nd November 2007, 04:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 266

I used to be an avid role player, but alas, time has gotten the better of me. Perhaps I'll have time after I retire.

Jim

Heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2007, 01:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 50

i am confused . . what is the difference between the two? ?roll and role player

theyounggamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2007, 11:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 22

I like both styles of gaming.

when playing D&D i actually prefer the Roll playing side of things. Kill things and take their stuff! The system IMHO supports that style of play the best.

For my role playing fix ive been looking at a number of different systems; Burning Wheel, Dogs in the Vineyard, Spirit of the Century. They are not really rules lite by any definition of the term but I do think these systems empower the group to tell a story much better than other games such as D&D. Thats not to say you cant tell a good story with D&D.
insmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2007, 12:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyounggamers View Post
i am confused . . what is the difference between the two? ?roll and role player

Roll Playing is a affectionate term for playing a game and focusing on the game aspect of the RPG. Role playing is focusing on the story based side of things. Well thats how I interpret it anyways.
insmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2007, 12:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

That's a pretty good short description Insmouth! TickledBlue has picked up Burning Wheel & Dogs in the Vineyard (amongst the 100's of RPGs he's purchased ) so I would not be surprised that eventually we'll get to play them

Last edited by fantomas; 27th November 2007 at 02:07 PM.
Old 27th November 2007, 01:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator
Lethal - Post: 6458

Happy

Role Player here.... well, that is when I used to play.

Sir Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote