Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others > Pen and paper games

Pen and paper games Discuss ADND, Warhammer and other PnP games here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27th February 2008, 11:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 2431 TOG Gold Level Supporter

Goofy
Default D&D 4.0 Pen & Paper for your desktop...

Yes, D&D 4.0 is bringing with it a computerised version of the rule books, a mapmaker, Character generator, virtual dice and everything else you need to have a game of P&P D&D, but remotely.

The program is called "D&D Insider" and although it looks absolutely terrible (see the screenshots here) the idea behind it has been a long time coming, and hopefully it will be robust enough so I can play games with my mates in QLD and SA...

For more information see Rock, Paper, Shotgun: Cathedral Of The Endless Bear Blog Archive Dungeons & Dragons Offline Online
FunkyJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 28th February 2008, 03:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Average - Post: 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyJ View Post
The program is called "D&D Insider" and although it looks absolutely terrible (see the screenshots here) the idea behind it has been a long time coming, and hopefully it will be robust enough so I can play games with my mates in QLD and SA...
It looks like the only new part is actually being able to "emulate tabletop games".

AD&D2 had the Core Rules CD and D&D3 had E-Tools and both boxes included manuals, character creators, dice rollers &c..

As far as "emulating tabletop games", I think NWN did a better job (and as far as precedence goes, the original Neverwinter Nights did a "good enough" job and was decommissioned before WotC acquired TSR).
Isthiriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2008, 07:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 45

Wasn't there some talk about people having to pay a subscription for that service?
Old 22nd March 2008, 02:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4470 TOG Gold Level Supporter

You can pay for additional online game suppliment stuff, but it isn't required. However, I'm not sure if that means the online tabletop thing is free. The thing that bums me out about it is that it's DirectX based - so no Mac or Linux support.