TOG Latest

Chris Roberts Recognises the Star Cit...

The rising interest in Star Citizen in TOG has gai...

Warthunder heard throughout TOG

The sounds of Warthunder is being heard throughout TOG

Dota 2 Release

DOTA2 Released.

Planetside 2 Release 20-Nov-2012 PST

The long awaited and critically acclaimed PlanetSi...

Division Latest

TOG MindCrack - Mining, Machines, Mag...

TOG's MindCrack Minecraft server offers all that's...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Machines and magic in Minecraft - 'Fe...

Over the vacation period, a "Feed The Beast" Mod p...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others > Pen and paper games

Pen and paper games Discuss ADND, Warhammer and other PnP games here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 6th March 2008, 10:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 2164

Tired
Default Brisbane Boardgamers

A few mates and I used to play boardgames/cards every month or so .. but unfortunately our numbers have dwindled due kids/life/jobs elsewhere and so have the good ol afternoon/evening boardgame sessions.

So I'm wondering if there are any Toggers in Brisbane keen to try and get ad hoc games going?

Boardgames that I or my mate own: Risk, Risk Godstorm, Axis and Allies, Heroscape (superb fast miniatures game), Shogun, Fortress America, Twilight Imperium. I'd love to buy one of the variant Axis and Allies games if I thought there would be demand for it.

Card Games: Vampire:TES (I have enough for several decks if people are keen to try it out), Magic (I have a small set of cards, enough for 2 people in a casual setting).

So reply to this thread or pm me if you are keen. It would be ad hoc because I travel sporadically for work at short notice.

Regards, Gaping_MAW aka Scoobs

Gaping_MAW is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 6th March 2008, 09:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Advisor
Advisor
Elite - Post: 4344

Too far away to join you, however we play every fortnight so can give you some recomendations.
To start with, if you are looking at Axis and Allies variants, don't go with A&A europe.
As near as we can tell, the designers must have skipped playtesting. Essentialy the game is not able to be won as Germany. The game is 3vs1, and the rules give hints that your only chance of sucess is to go aggressivily after russia. We played it twice and Germany got slaughtered, so we setup a what if test. We played the game as normal, but completely removed both America and England from the game. Just played it German vs Russia, and tried to see if German was able to overrun just the one opposition. We took dice roll averages instead of actually rolling, and even favored German on the results. Sure, German overran most of the starting Russian territories, but the defensive bonuses of straight infantry and the ability to pull in all your outlying troops back to a central point ment that Germany could not muster enough power to gain a victory.
I don't know if the designers were trying to keep the game historically accurate, but when I play a game I expect both sides to have a chance at victory. If you concider that we removed 2/3rds of the resource generation and troops off the Allies, and they could still hold the Axis off its victory conditions, then the game is flawed.

As far as good games, Settlers of Catan + expansions is very fun. A lot of luck involved, but does have strategies as well.

Will post some more tomorrow. We have about a dozen games we play regularly and find very enjoyable.

World Of Tanks (ASIA) - Black_Ice World Of Warplanes - Black_Ice_
The Elder Scrolls Online - Jade Mist (Sorcerer, Tailoring)
BlackIce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2008, 11:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Advisor
Advisor
Elite - Post: 4344

Good games that we play regularly.
Roborally. ($45)A great game that has really simple concepts but constantly has you thinking. Most deaths in the game are caused by your own mistakes, which is hugely funny. We played this game for over 6 months straight, and will often go back to when we are unsure what we want to play for the night.

Twilight Imperium. We have this, but havn't played it too much. The game is good, but tends to take a bit long to play since we play nights.

Drakon. This is a good filler. It is a tile based game, with about a dozen different tiles and only two options. Place a tile or move your character. Each tile has a different action that occurs when you move onto it. That makes the game really easy to learn and play. It is for 2-6 player and a game normally only lasts for about 20-40 minutes. (team based variants are good). Being such a quick game it makes it perfect to finish off a night if the main game finished early, or to play while waiting for someone to arrive if they are running late. You can get it fairly cheap. About $40 I think it was.

Two new games we just picked up recently and are enjoying so far.
Last Night on Earth, The Zombie Game This is a team based game, 2-6 players. Little on the expensive side, ($75) since you are paying for Music CD's etc in the game, but the gameplay is nice and quick, and the sides seem fairly even. Its a new game from a new company and was only released last year. The rules havn't had any glaring faults, and there are only a few minor clarifications/errata so far. They are also bringing out new characters and scenarios on their website, which is a nice level of support. The expansion is due out for the game some time this year, and I expect we will have no hesitation in buying it. Interesting thing about this game, is there are 8 Human character types, but you only play with 4 of them, randomly selected. If someone dies, they get a replacement character. Great to ensure everyone gets to play the whole way through, and no one is eliminated early.

Arkham Horror ($75) This game has lots of expansions, and is in its 3rd or so revision. It has the notable honour of being the only game we have that is 100% cooperative. The game can even be played solo without any modifications to the rules. We have only played it twice so far, and the rules are in depth (and has a terrible index). The game is fairly hard against the players, but we found that it would have been easier if we worked closer together. After playing our second game, we noticed we started the game playing on the same side, but playing seperatly. Towards the end of the game we started to work more effectivly by teaming up to cover each others characters strengths and weaknesses. (just like Last Night On Earth, you are given your character randomly. There are 16 character sheets, which makes you play very differently each time).
This game will be our focus for the next few weeks of play.

Some other very popular games that we have got are Puerto Rico and Tikal. The games a both fairly solid gameplay, but for some reason never really grabbed us. We have played Tikal 3-4 times, and Puerto Rico only got played once.

Oh yeah, probably no surprise, but stay away from most of the computer game -> board game releases. I have Sid Meier's Civilization: The Boardgame. Played it once with the basic rules (took about 4 hours, no result), and once with the advanced rules. Don't even recall what happened with that game. Nice figures, but they tried to cram too many of the Civ concepts into the game and it just was a mess. Some nice minitures, and the board is HUGE(46 x 36), but a terrible game. Even house rules can't make that a decent game to play.
I have also played Warcraft - The boadgame. The dice rolling mechanics were so convoluted and individual to each player, that the people I was playing against could have been cheating on every battle and I would never know. Hell, I didn't even know if I was cheating on my battles half the time.
Descent: Journeys in the dark is by the same people. It also had convoluted game mechanics, but we hadn't finished reading the rules, and I think the game may be worth a second look.
I have heard some ok reviews for Doom: the boardgame, but past experiances with these have made me very cautious.

World Of Tanks (ASIA) - Black_Ice World Of Warplanes - Black_Ice_
The Elder Scrolls Online - Jade Mist (Sorcerer, Tailoring)
BlackIce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2008, 07:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1819

Fyer and I live on the Sunshine Coast near Nambour. Not too far away and we like our games.

Own:
Puerto Rico
Carcassone
Settlers of Catan
El Grande
Caylus
Twilight Imperium 3
Descent
Power Grid
Race For the Galaxy
Fairy Tale
Tigris and Euphrates
Fury of Count Dracula
O Zoo Le Mio
Railroad Tycoon
Through The Desert

...and other stuff we dont play so much.

We've had a couple games days in the past up here with friends from Brissy who we used to play WoW with.
Old 31st March 2008, 11:34 AM   #5 (permalink)

Tired

Twilight Imperium 3? What's new in that?

Old 31st March 2008, 05:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

Twilight Imperium 3rd Edition | BoardGameGeek

Ive not played the previous editions, so I couldnt tell you. Lots and lots of plastic spaeships though . Fun game but takes a very long time.
Old 31st March 2008, 08:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

Tired

nice! I've got the old cardboard version.. I love the hex style map, different each game etc etc.... but for the couple of games we played I used plastic pieces from fortress america and axis and allies instead of the cardboad.

Old 31st March 2008, 09:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

The main thing that lets it down is playtime. We usually crack out El grande, Puerto Rico or Powergrid when we want to play a more deeper game. I like Caylus myself but others arent into it so much.
Old 1st April 2008, 09:37 AM   #9 (permalink)

Tired

still can't beat heroscape for quick tactical fun. Most games last 40 minutes, once everyone has played a game or two.

Old 1st April 2008, 07:58 PM   #10 (permalink)

I never really got into clicky games. I used to play Warmachine quite a lot. Thesedays I dont have anyone local to play the more competative games with otherwise I might play dungeon twister more.