TOG Latest

Chris Roberts Recognises the Star Cit...

The rising interest in Star Citizen in TOG has gai...

Warthunder heard throughout TOG

The sounds of Warthunder is being heard throughout TOG

Dota 2 Release

DOTA2 Released.

Planetside 2 Release 20-Nov-2012 PST

The long awaited and critically acclaimed PlanetSi...

Division Latest

TOG MindCrack - Mining, Machines, Mag...

TOG's MindCrack Minecraft server offers all that's...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Machines and magic in Minecraft - 'Fe...

Over the vacation period, a "Feed The Beast" Mod p...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others > Pen and paper games

Pen and paper games Discuss ADND, Warhammer and other PnP games here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26th April 2008, 11:01 AM   #11 (permalink)
Retired Moderator
Retired Captain
Retired Moderator
Lethal - Post: 5944

Paranoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhul View Post
I'm interested, but not sure if I'll have time. Also, from what I understand the software is not Mac compatible (unless you have a new one and partition with Windows) which is a big minus for me.
If someone can point us to free products that work with a Mac, I am all for going the free route and saving money each month.

_____________Now that I'm running Hell, Heaven will never be the same.
RogueSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 29th April 2008, 07:55 PM   #12 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 451

Amused

I'm in a similar spot to Rhino and bochaba - very interested in doing some online RPG, but not tremendously interested in D&D.

Shadowrun, Earthdawn, Legend of the Five Rings, or Warhammer would be my preferred options.
chunky04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2008, 10:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
Retired Moderator
Jia
Retired Moderator
Elite - Post: 2914

Online RPG (I'd be game for any role playing system!) would certainly spark my interest, but I'm afraid that differing time zones might pose a problem. Well, that and the fact that I'm not quite as fluent in English verbally (via voice com) than I am when I'm writing.
Old 1st July 2008, 10:00 PM   #14 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 841

Fine

I would be up for some D&D 4e. Unfortunately the online component that WotC are developing is delayed for god knows how long but im definitely interested.
Kinetic007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2008, 12:24 AM   #15 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 79

Hey folks.

I have been a big fan of Fantasy Grounds. It is not a free product, but it is a one time expense. There is a light version and a full version. I highly recommend that everyone buy the full version. The full version allows you to host a session and DM. The light version will only connect to a full version and allow you to be a player only. (No 'upgrading' from light to full, so just go full!) I have not regretted the purchase more than three years later. If a bunch of you go in together you can get a bundle discount. (See the store for more info.)

A D&D 4E ruleset has been developed by members of the FG community and is available for free. I've been playing in a campaign for a little over a month now using it. (They keep adding new features to the ruleset, so we keep moving to the newest version.) By the way, FG comes with a standard d20 ruleset. There are commercial rulesets available for purchase. (Such as Savage Worlds.)

One thing I always note when price comes up is that the cost of the software ensures a level of commitment from players that free programs cannot provide. Paying a one shot price (not a subscription) for a piece of software that I have used for over three years in a handful of campaigns was well worth it in my mind.

That being said, if you must have free, take a look at MapTools. The developers are clearly focused on a slightly different goal from FG, but it looks like a good product.

I do not keep up on which ones run on a mac, but this chart might be useful.
iConvention VTT Comparison Chart

Note there are two pages, so do not ignore the programs on page two. Some folks may have gotten FG running on a mac, but you should check the FG forums for that info. It has certainly been discussed.

As to timezones, using FG I have gamed with people in Asia, Australia, the Americas, and Europe. People all over the world have different schedules and sometimes it works out.

In any event, if you start using a virtual tabletop (vtt) I hope you have fun. Just make sure that you make a decision that works for you. (On that note, I should mention that there is a demo for FG so you can try before you buy. It is not full featured but you can get the basic idea and see if you can get it working. Post questions to the FG forum, they are helpful folks.)

Later.
QueensKnight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2009, 04:29 AM   #16 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 568

Confused

D&D test drive

D&D Test Drive
Old 4th May 2009, 09:09 AM   #17 (permalink)
Retired Journalist
Retired Journalist
Competent - Post: 415

Buzzed

Fantasy Grounds looks really really good. It actually looks better than Wizard's virtual tabletop they have in progress :P We'll have to check it out!
Old 5th May 2009, 12:31 PM   #18 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 5039

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jia View Post
Well, that and the fact that I'm not quite as fluent in English verbally (via voice com) than I am when I'm writing.
Someone less fluent in english would be a great asset to a game. It would add autheticity to being a different in game race like an Elf. It would be very interesting to interact with you. I only speak about 30 words of German

Last edited by HenriDeacon; 5th May 2009 at 12:35 PM.
HenriDeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2009, 12:47 AM   #19 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero View Post
Fantasy Grounds looks really really good. It actually looks better than Wizard's virtual tabletop they have in progress :P We'll have to check it out!
I'm still loving Fantasy Grounds. They continually make progress, so the information on my prior post from 2008 is somewhat outdated...but it has only gotten better with time.
QueensKnight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2009, 05:41 PM   #20 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 104

Tired

It's been 20+ years since I played a pen and paper roleplaying game - and I loved it back then. Listening to the podcasts of the penny arcade 4th edition adventures (D&D Podcast Archive), I'd be keen to get involved in something too. You forget how much fun using your imagination can be.
Rabies is offline   Reply With Quote