Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others > Pen and paper games

Pen and paper games Discuss ADND, Warhammer and other PnP games here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26th May 2009, 07:21 PM   #21 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 109

Tired

Downloaded the demo of Fantasy Grounds and it does look pretty good. If anyone thinking of going that route I'd be happy to buy the software to join in.

Anyone got any experience with these guys?
Macray's Keep
No idea how the system works - but it's free.

I'll try out a few open source options when I get some time.
Rabies is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 26th May 2009, 07:28 PM   #22 (permalink)
Retired Journalist
Retired Journalist
Competent - Post: 415

Buzzed

+1 to that. I have no DM experience so I'm sure I would suck hard, so sign me up as a player :P
Old 11th June 2009, 08:34 AM   #23 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 9

Another option would be to play-by-post in a forum like this. There are several benefits, as I see it, to this approach.

People will have more time to think out what their characters are doing and saying, so better RP element.
Because things move slower, there is no problem with different time zones.
Also, there is a tendency to have less combat, more roleplaying, as the only thing the PbP doesn't handle too well is combat.

I'd be interested in running some PbP at some point, though not 4E (not that I have anything against the system, but it doesn't lend itself to what I want to do in a PbP game.

Regards,
Baragos
Baragos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2009, 09:50 PM   #24 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Guild Leader / TOG Advisor
Guild Wars 2
Guru - Post: 12448

I think I've DM'd lots of major games out there at this point, and some not so major, including DnD 2nd and 3rd, Space Master, TORG, Cyberpunk, Darksword Adventures, etc, and played in many more. I've been chatting with some friends in my WoW guild (European zone) off and on about doing some online play via TS and using Fantasy Grounds as the virtual surface. I've fiddled a bunch around with the demo and was really impressed. If you couple that with a good cartography program and various other tools, you can very easily set up a pretty good game with it.

I've been planning on buying it, so long as I can get the others to invest in at least the client part, which should be possible. And find the time of course.

I think a regular group like that could be fun. I haven't made the move to 4th edition DnD yet, but I have most things core and Forgotten Realms for 3rd edition.

I have, however, found that how fun a game is has a lot more to do with your players than it does with the system. If you have a good group of players who focus on thinking out of the box, you'll not only have more fun sessions, but you'll also be much more challenged as a DM, having to think on your feet and try to keep the game moving. It's not a good RP session without a little tension.
Blizzard battle tag: McMuttons#2926, ArenaNet GW2 tag: McMuttons.5106
I like to run. Run with me!
McMuttons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2009, 08:00 PM   #25 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4349

Goofy

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMuttons View Post
I have, however, found that how fun a game is has a lot more to do with your players than it does with the system. If you have a good group of players who focus on thinking out of the box, you'll not only have more fun sessions, but you'll also be much more challenged as a DM, having to think on your feet and try to keep the game moving. It's not a good RP session without a little tension.
/agree

I have game mastered a few systems over the years (AD&D 1 & 2, Star Frontiers, Star Wars D6, Dark Conspiracy, Paranoia, Shadowrun and Traveler - various versions - to name a few) and at the end of the day the rules had very little to do with the game sessions. It was all about the story told / created by the group and the fun.

The group I use to play with had many different, but complimentary, role playing personalities who together made for some very "interesting" stories and plot twists.

Some players wanted to be heroes that saved the day, other wanted to be scoundrels that wanted to profit from every situation, etc.

I think the biggest joy for me was that fact that very few of them wanted to play combat only types, opting for more rounded characters that used brains, chutzpa or craftiness to achieve their goals.

You would be amazed how much more interesting a party can be when it is full of diplomats, scientists and merchants as opposed to a team full of soldiers.

Take that same style of group and put them in a Fantasy / Sci-Fi / Horror setting and those game are taken in fun directions that combat driven or "rules lawyer" groups can never enjoy.

I have not played a paper and dice RPG in years and I am really starting to missing it. After reading this thread the first time, I opened some storage boxes and started reminiscing as I pulled out game system, after game system I had not looked at in years.

"Sigh" Ahhh the good old days
Old 15th June 2009, 09:48 PM   #26 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Guild Wars 2

Sounds like we've had similar experiences, Mongrel hehe. We were never really roleplayers in the acting sense, where it was almost more of playing a third person game in feeling, and we were never sticklers on staying in character and such while talking or whatever. But we always managed to make fun stories out of the games, and while the characters rolled might be your fairly typical characters, when you have players that love to think of unusual ways of doing things, it suddenly becomes a lot of fun.

Often the game really was a game of players vs. DM, as they loved to try to find ways around things I'd planned in ways that I hadn't thought of, basically trying to break my adventure. It required a lot of quick thinking to deal with that. And taught me a few things about how to develop flexible adventures.
Old 16th June 2009, 10:03 AM   #27 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Goofy

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMuttons View Post
Often the game really was a game of players vs. DM, as they loved to try to find ways around things I'd planned in ways that I hadn't thought of, basically trying to break my adventure. It required a lot of quick thinking to deal with that. And taught me a few things about how to develop flexible adventures.
LOL

I had to learn to be flexible very early in my GMing career. I found out the hard way that if I built my adventures too structured and the story required the party to go "left" ... They always, always went .... "Right"!

From there I built my adventures around a series of scenarios that I could introduce at the right time, no mater if they went left, right, up or down
Old 16th June 2009, 07:10 PM   #28 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Guild Wars 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure Mongrel View Post
From there I built my adventures around a series of scenarios that I could introduce at the right time, no mater if they went left, right, up or down
Exactly. If you can create good settings and have good detail there, then you can usually wing it when it comes to finding ways of getting the players there and let them figure out how to deal with it.

Nothing more frustrating than telling the players, "A wrinkled old man hails you from the other table in the tavern..." to then get a reply along the lines of, "We press a gold coin into the hands of the tavern wench, point her at the old man and tell her to give him a good time," before they all get up and leave to seek adventure elsewhere.
Old 16th June 2009, 07:27 PM   #29 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Goofy

lol
Old 22nd June 2009, 12:14 AM   #30 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 50

Default maptool

I'm in abt 4 3.5 and 4.0 d&d games using maptool. Its free and works great, but you have to look for campaign files to load to kinda help w/ gameplay. It does work w/ out those files, however. I wouldnt mind playing a gurps game using it

RPTools - Home
Throm is offline   Reply With Quote