Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others > Pen and paper games

Pen and paper games Discuss ADND, Warhammer and other PnP games here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 2nd April 2008, 08:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Moderator
Retired Captain
Retired Moderator
Lethal - Post: 5944

Paranoid
Default AD&D 4E Online TOG Group?

Greetings all!

When I was a young lad, I had a fascination with D&D. Unfortunately, I never had friends that wanted to play. Sure, some started out with me but they never really got into it. So, I just bought the manuals to read on my own and let my mind run wild.

Now that there will be a real online aspect to this, I am wondering if any of my TOG mates may be interested in doing a AD&D 4E online group. Bi-monthly or even monthly on a weekend.

I would be very interested in this. Especially if no one minds playing with a (for the most part) noob.

_____________Now that I'm running Hell, Heaven will never be the same.
RogueSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 2nd April 2008, 01:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Average - Post: 149

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOR View Post
Greetings all!

When I was a young lad, I had a fascination with D&D. Unfortunately, I never had friends that wanted to play. Sure, some started out with me but they never really got into it. So, I just bought the manuals to read on my own and let my mind run wild.

Now that there will be a real online aspect to this, I am wondering if any of my TOG mates may be interested in doing a AD&D 4E online group. Bi-monthly or even monthly on a weekend.

I would be very interested in this. Especially if no one minds playing with a (for the most part) noob.
After most of my friends joined the military there was just 2 of us in the area that still played rpg games(not mmo). Before we started playing games online,fps or mmos, there was MSN IM . That eventually lead to us running games over the messenger which actually worked out for a while. For a while there we were running games on a nightly basis and it winded down to every other day. Eventually 2 of them started a dnd game that was just on the weekends which i didn't bother with.

Also me and one of the guys that ended up joining the Airforce started up a Battletech game. We would trade out unit's movements and then roll our own dice since we both agreed theres no point in cheating and knew each other well enough to know that they meant it.

Of course both games took time but I think there would be a lot more material you can use on the net now. messenger,webcams,mics, dice rolling programs, pregenerated downloadable maps and so on. Of course theres always the forum here or you could make one just for the game where it would serve as a means to slowly play over the time between live game time. I think a thread here showing the game's progress could generate some interest. heck i have a friend thats not in tog that would probably consider joining just to get into a dnd game. hell i doubt i would buy the book but i might join in the game myself even if im not really a dnd fan.

i prefer shadowrun and Battletech
StoneRhinoLotD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2008, 03:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1825

Id be willing to give a RPG a go over the net. Im not sure that D&D really interests me. It seems that the focus of D&D has always been monster bashing and dungeon clearing.

Nothing wrong with that except that WoW basically scratches the same itch and does it much much better.

A game that focussed on role playing over dice rolling battles is probably going to interest me. Systems where combat is dangerous are generally more appealing. eg. NPC pulls a gun on you and you think "oh damn this is bad" not 'lol I can take at least 4 shots before he has a chance of killing me and Ill probably one shot him by throwing my shoe at him."
Old 2nd April 2008, 09:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Average - Post: 149

that part about an npc pulling a gun on you and the reaction, that sounds a lot like Shadowrun. It could be a peice of crap gun but if you dont have body armor or good enough armor and get nailed with a good shot then you can get dropped in 1 round.

yeah theres ways to seriously tank in that game but if i was the GM i would always raise the threat level of npcs you would face. you might get 1 or 2 jobs against a target corp but after that you get hit by the A grade NPCs that will outnumber, out class you and have access to equal if not higher grade gear. I liked a logical escalation as well as logical defenses based on experiences a group/gang/corporation/individual/mob/government would have long before you ever came out of the woods to start trying to take whats theirs.

you wouldn't have an 80 year old with a flashlight that weighs a good 400pounds on a golfcart guarding a highly sensitive installation be it a government or corporation(that is allowed to have military grade weapons/gear). your not going to have that same 80 year old as the only security if the place had been the target of other individuals much like the players over 10s of years.

DnD, i just never really saw to much room for that. its always an ancient dungeon no one has dared to go in or survive. its all critters and its all low tech so theres only so much they will be able to do.
StoneRhinoLotD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2008, 01:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1825

Once played a gurps campain a long time ago with a fantasy setting. All but one of the party were sensibly afraid of combat and sought alternative means to do whatever needed doing....but the one was a minotaur. lol. Beserk, bloodlust...you name it. He was the biggest liability in the whole party but he was a combat machine. It took 10 city guards to subdue him once he was trapped in an alleyway and no less than 20 arrows. Considering one arrow could be potentially lethal to a normal person, this was quite impressive.

The actual mission was aborted for a long time as the party worked out how to rescue the minotaur from the keep. In the end it took a bucket of money, seduction of a guard and a promise to castrate the minotaur. Lots of fun.
Old 3rd April 2008, 01:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator
Lethal - Post: 5868

Lurking

Actually I'd be interested in such a group. Used to play alot in collage way back then. Have not played much since the AD&D 3E came out. I'll be slowly getting the 4E books though.
Old 8th April 2008, 03:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 35

Tired

Could be fun I'd be interested
Inigo: "Let me explain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up. Buttercup is marrying Humperdink in a little less than half an hour. So all we have to do is get in, break up the wedding, steal the princess make our escape -- after I kill Count Ruben."
Westley: "That doesn't leave much time for dilly-dallying."
cougar75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2008, 09:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
Retired Moderator
Retired Captain
Retired Moderator
Lethal - Post: 5944

Paranoid

Thanks for the intrest. Maybe we can get something going here.

_____________Now that I'm running Hell, Heaven will never be the same.
RogueSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2008, 10:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4470 TOG Gold Level Supporter

I'm interested, but not sure if I'll have time. Also, from what I understand the software is not Mac compatible (unless you have a new one and partition with Windows) which is a big minus for me.
Old 26th April 2008, 02:55 AM   #10 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 13

I'd be interested..need to check out the 4G books..I've played 1-3 editions though, grew up on D&D and always had a special place in my heart for it.
Nostromos is offline   Reply With Quote