Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others > Pen and paper games

Pen and paper games Discuss ADND, Warhammer and other PnP games here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 9th April 2008, 09:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 31

Default Pen and paper online

Hi all,

I've been reading about how to find groups for online P&P RPG play using Skype or Ventrilo or Team Speak and an application called Open RPG.
  1. Has anyone tried this style of play?
  2. Is it any good?
  3. Is it technically difficult?
  4. Can you still smell the obligatory-fat-guy-that-sweats-like-a-mad-man of the group?
Your help and thoughts appreciated.
RHOW.

Old 10th April 2008, 10:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHandOfWar View Post
Hi all,

I've been reading about how to find groups for online P&P RPG play using Skype or Ventrilo or Team Speak and an application called Open RPG.
  1. Has anyone tried this style of play?
  2. Is it any good?
  3. Is it technically difficult?
  4. Can you still smell the obligatory-fat-guy-that-sweats-like-a-mad-man of the group?
Your help and thoughts appreciated.
RHOW.
Yes. I do that then record it ("Heroic Cthluhu" - at Heroic Cthulhu )

1. Yes.
2. Yes - you have a much bigger pool of talent to draw from than just your local area. It has draw backs (can't see facial expressions and funny live stuff) but overall it is very nice.
3. No. I am a techno dweeb. I'd check out the HC boards because Pete has put up a rather useful post on technical stuff for gamers on skype etc - the boards can be found at Heroic Cthulhu - Home Yes - you have to register to see them but it keeps off the bad people.
4. If you do, you won't know!

On the HC boards you'll find out everything you want to know about this and plenty of other stuff relating to it - just ask the fan base there.

That is another unexpected benefit of gaming on line - IF you record it as well, you get a fan base. Weird, huh?
logan9a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2008, 07:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 31

Cold

You know I never considered this... (Using Skype to play) - and if they have cams you can see their dice rolls so they're not cheating...

But your #4 almost killed me.
Tawmis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 08:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 56

Well, from poking around their forums, you do have to be fairly technically minded if you run into any problems with OpenRPG. I tried to install it, but not only does it not run but their "help" on the forums is far above my level of expertise to understand. When they mention "debug at level 31" without referencing how one does that on an interface that I might be able to reach, I have to just move on. Ditto when they have people editing in code, without (from what I can tell) saying exactly how one accesses the code to begin with, or how to recognize the file one should edit (my files had no names in common with what they were discussing or with what was in the README files that came with the same installation).

I had been intrigued by the idea, but if I do an online pencil and paper game, it'll be by webcam and Skype (as suggested above).

EDIT: From reading the forums, if you have no problems with installation on your machine, it's very good.
Dathkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2009, 09:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lethal - Post: 5501

Pensive

He's not fat, just big boned.

"If a job's worth doing, no further justification is required." - Alice: Madness Returns
"It takes just as much work to achieve failure as it does to achieve success."
King_Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2009, 08:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 50

rptools.net

maptool is what i use
Throm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2009, 03:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Deadly - Post: 2167

Mellow

Here's how rough OpenRPG is..
I worked for RPGObjects (the ones who put out OpenRPG) for some time... I STILL can't figure it out.
And I REALLY want to use it.

So... if you figure it out... let me know.
Gorbag Bloodmaw - Charr Thief 80. Chef, Jeweler.
Egil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2009, 08:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 50

I haven't tried openrpg, but we use maptool (see below). You can download campaign templates for pathfinder/d&d 3.5 and 4.0. on the rptools forum. It makes it simple to create char.s. The 4.0 I've used is Rumbles Framework. It allows you to choose the target you wanna atack.
Throm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 02:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Guild Leader
Architect
Minecraft
Deadly - Post: 1667

Happy

I ran a game recently where we had an old friend join us from Texas. Used RPtools for some of the game was very easy to use and figure out. Have heard about Openrpg, but havent tried it yet.
Misnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 06:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 5

I recently started playing with old mates over seas, one in Canada, one in France, one in Norfolk Is, Sydney and Melb. We use Fantasy Grounds, awesome interface, just like old school PnP, even the dice are animated and can be seen by all players when you roll. Maps, tokens the lot, I was very impressed when we first played.

We use Team Speak to communicate and it is not too bad and it is free if you have a only a small number of players (10-15 I think), skype probably has better audio quality but uses more band with compared to team speak.

Anyway for some guys that had not played for 20 odd years it was pretty cool.
gruffmanton is offline   Reply With Quote