Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others > Pen and paper games

Pen and paper games Discuss ADND, Warhammer and other PnP games here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10th April 2008, 04:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 35

Tired
Default History of RPGs

This isn't a post about how great things used to be in the old days but rather a history of my history of pen and paper RPGs, or rather a "This is what I've played and what I thought of them" post so with no more mucking about, my first RPG experience was with first edition Twilight 2000 shortly followed by 2nd Edition, from there I've played, in no particular order: AD&D, Star Wars (1st, 2nd & 3rd Edition), Vampire (in various formats), Werewolf, Changeling, Cyberpunk, Warhammer Fantasy, Traveller (1st and 2nd Edition), Dark Conspiracy, Robotech, Rifts, Marvel Super Heroes, Star Trek (TOS and TNG), the Palledium super heroes game (forgotten the name). Of these I've run games of Twilight 2000 (1st and 2ndEdition), Cyberpunk, Star Wars, Warhammer Fantasy and just to be different B5.

Out of this list the best games I had were Dark Conspiracy, one or two D&D 3rd Edition games and a rip snorter of a Vampire game all of which those of us involved in still recall fondly many years after the games have finished.

Now we get to the other part of the post and it pretty obvious really, what games have others played and if given the chance to play in them again or recreate them would you? (apologies if this has already been done)
Inigo: "Let me explain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up. Buttercup is marrying Humperdink in a little less than half an hour. So all we have to do is get in, break up the wedding, steal the princess make our escape -- after I kill Count Ruben."
Westley: "That doesn't leave much time for dilly-dallying."
cougar75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 16th April 2008, 01:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1825

Quote:
Palledium super heroes game (forgotten the name)
It was called Champions I think. They also made the ruleset for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle RPG of which I played a lot.

Also played D&D up to 2nd Ed. Gurps, Middle Earth RPG, Warhammer Fantasy, and Traveller....mostly older stuff. Warhammer got me into Table Top wargaming and RPG fell by the wayside.
Old 16th April 2008, 03:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Tired

Champions... yeah that sounds about right. I was all set to play TMNT but unfortunately at about that time school got in the way and we never got around to playing.
Inigo: "Let me explain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up. Buttercup is marrying Humperdink in a little less than half an hour. So all we have to do is get in, break up the wedding, steal the princess make our escape -- after I kill Count Ruben."
Old 17th April 2008, 06:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Journalist
Retired Journalist
Competent - Post: 415

Buzzed

I am a huge fan of RPG's in the electronic form, particularly D&D games. I have the D&D books, know all the rules, yet I have never played an actual pen and paper game :P

I am going to be playing in my first campaign in August, after the 4th edition D&D books are out. I'm pretty pumped... I think I'll like playing support classes the most so I'm pretty sure I'm going to be a cleric
Old 18th April 2008, 02:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

Tired

Wow never played a pen and paper game but still hooked on CRPGs, I don't think I've ever come across that before. Usually CRPG players come from the world of pen and paper players.

Good luck with the game, I've not heard much about 4th edition but hopefully I'll get a look at it soon.
Old 1st May 2008, 07:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 568

Confused

Same here: I've never played a PnP RPG, but one local group that I belong to might start a Call of Cthulhu game which I plan to join. Meanwhile, to those who value PnP,

"Dungeons & Dragons: The Pen and Paper Video Game"

Gamasutra - Dungeons & Dragons: The Pen and Paper Video Game
paenggoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2008, 12:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

Tired

Wow from never having played a PnP game to Call of Cthulu, impressive. Cthulu is one of the wierdest games to get your head around purely because of the world in which it's set. If you've never read any H.P Lovecraft's work you could be in for a shock.

Thanks for the link too I'll check it out while getting ready for my next D&D 3.5 session.
Old 9th May 2008, 02:13 AM   #8 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 568

Confused

I forgot to mention that I play CRPGs, so I hope I can follow what's used in RPGs like the character sheets with attributies, die rolls for actions and decisions, etc. For now, I've played only board games like Arkham Horror.
paenggoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2008, 12:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 645

Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar75 View Post
Champions... yeah that sounds about right. I was all set to play TMNT but unfortunately at about that time school got in the way and we never got around to playing.
Actually it is Heroes Unlimited. I am a big fan. The Champions game is for the Hero System.

Your initial list of games pretty much matches mine. I am a long time player of: Rifts, Heroes Unlimited, MERP, Gurps, Battlelords of the 23rd Centry, Weird Wars, TMNT, Nightbane, Morrow Project, Traveller, Starwars D6 & D20, Dragonstar, Paranoia, most D&D campagins, Battletech, Warhammer Fantasy, Cyberpunk, Legend of the Five Rings, and Mordheim.

Some of my best games, both running and playing have been with Rifts. I absolutely love this setting. I can look past most of the glaring overpowered rules of the game because of the setting. With the right GM and the right group of players, this setting can be one of the most rewarding in my opinion.

Cheers,
Medicated

◄█|||(<>)|)||█Ξ[▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓)
medicated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2008, 03:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 776 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

D&D (basic), Traveller, Gamma World, AD&D (1st Ed, 2nd & 3), MERP, Call of Cthulhu, Aftermath, Space Opera, Albedo, Trauma, Cyberpunk, Bushido, Twilight 2000, Runequest, Paranoia , Toon, Shadowrun (2nd & 4th Ed), Milleniums End, Rolemaster, WFRP (orginal version), Skyrealms of Jorune, Hawkmoon, Pendragon, Space 1889, Fading Suns, Vampire (1st, 2nd, revised WOD), Mage (2nd Ed), Ars Magica, Fudge, Trinity, Tribe 8, Dragonlance: The Fifth Age, Judge Dredd, 7th sea, Flashing Blades, Engarde

I'm sure there are more that I can't remember. Also several homebrew systems based on the rules of games such as Trauma & the BRP system of CoC & 2nd ed Mage.

Favourites - Tribe 8, Call of Cthulhu. Longest Running Call of Cthulhu, Vampire, Bushido (all real fun games)
fantomas is offline   Reply With Quote