Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others > Pen and paper games

Pen and paper games Discuss ADND, Warhammer and other PnP games here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 5th September 2008, 09:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 9

Default 1st Edition and 2nd Edition AD&D gamers UNITE! ;-)

One cannot throw a rock without hitting someone in a forum or shop that deals with gaming who plays 3rd and up versions (a.k.a. the Hasbro or WOTC versions) of D&D. However, there are many of us in the world who still play our beloved 1st edition, 2nd edition, or hybrid combinations thereof. This thread is for those gamers to speak out and be recognized! List your particular house rules, your hybridization style, or if you're a purist, which edition you use and how many optional rules (e.g. Unearthed Arcana, Dungeoneer's Survival Guide, and Wilderness Survival Guide for 1st Ed, kits, Fighter's Guide-type sourcebooks, Player's/DM's Option books for 2nd ed, etc.) you embrace, and what you are doing or wish to do to preserve the older editions.

And for any who live in the North Houston to Huntsville corridor, PM me, we have games every Saturday night and are always looking for more

Old 12th September 2008, 11:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 16

I used play everything from original D&D (remember the red boxed basic set?) up to AD&D 2nd edition. I tried 3rd for very short time but found I couldn't get into it. I have a very large collection of 2nd edition hard copies and almost everything from D&D-2nd edition in pdf's though I haven't played for a long time because there just isn't anyone in my area that still plays. But I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that still prefers the good stuff.
shammrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008, 08:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 2062

Twisted

I've got 2 archive boxes full of rules, manuals, etc for AD&D 2nd Ed. Some still in as new condition, others well worn (eg DM's Guide, Players Handbook). These are stored in the back shed, I haven't played for nearly 10 years. Not many peeps about, nor do I have the time these days, more's the pity! I have even thought of putting everything up for auction on ebay, just to do away with it and make some room in the shed for some other junk, but I just don't have the time. One day I'll do it!
Old 20th September 2008, 01:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 2663

I still have my 1st and 2nd edition, some where in storage. been over 20 years since I have played.
I didn't look at them again till D&DOnline was still in beta, I was a lil confused what they were talking about, so had to break out the manuals.. . I mentioned some things about what I knew prior to looking . . and the replies to my post was . "what the hell you talking about" till one person replied, that I was referring to 1st and 2nd edition.

after that I looked online of the rest of the editions . . after reading those . . I knew D&D online was not going to be the same, so never have tried the online version.

If I recall correctly, we played only with 1st edition DM, but as for the rest it was 2nd edition. I remember we did a lot of what we called Throw away games. Using the rules of 1st edition, but the time line could have been any time and/or world. Just played that night, with lots of beer. Did a few nights of that was a blast.
AoC - Daxaat , Chanaakat, Xaatbear
Anarcy Online - about 4 dozen characters
Taking a Break -
D&DO , LotRo

Imfir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2008, 07:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 31

Cold

Amen.

I am with you on the 2nd Edition. I was discussing it with someone else - that all of my second edition books show signs of wear and tear - ALL of them. Where as my third edition look as if I just bought them yesterday.

I won't be purchasing 4th Edition...
Tawmis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2008, 09:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4470 TOG Gold Level Supporter

I'd have to say I have had a lot of fun with 1e and 2e. One of the best campaigns I ever ran was in 2e with a heavy Spelljammer theme. The 3.5e game I'm in now is ok, but I never got "The Spark" that made me lust for every sourcebook I could get my hand on - so I just have the three core books.

I do have to say I've really been enjoying 4e though. The Spark is back and I'm even starting to revamp my old campaign worlds for the new system. If you've read them and said, "meh" (like some friends of mine) get into a group with a good DM and give it a try. What looks "meh" on paper is actually really fun to play. The kids that only ever played 3e hate the fact that you choose a single class and stick with it (though there are multiclassing options) but I feel it's a return to the ideas of major archetypes I remember in 1e and 2e. The thing I think I like most is a 1st level wizard isn't useless after he casts his one spell for the day and a 12th level fighter isn't sitting on his thumbs as the wizard tears down the fabric of the universe.

p.s. Not to derail the thread, but is this the same Breandan from the GU Comics forums?
Old 24th October 2008, 05:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 31

Cold

Hey Zhul -

Mind telling me what you like about 4th? What brought the spark back? Like you I lost it with 3.0/3.5 ... And have little hope for 4th - so I have not even TOUCHED the books yet - and I mean that literally. Not even cracked one open.

So mind sharing what it is about 4th you like? See if it makes me even interested to look at 4th Edition... thanks.

www.neverendingnights.com - A Neverwinter Nights Machinima Series! Getting Lost Has Never Been So Fun!
Tawmis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2008, 09:26 AM   #8 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawmis View Post
Hey Zhul -

Mind telling me what you like about 4th? What brought the spark back? Like you I lost it with 3.0/3.5 ... And have little hope for 4th - so I have not even TOUCHED the books yet - and I mean that literally. Not even cracked one open.

So mind sharing what it is about 4th you like? See if it makes me even interested to look at 4th Edition... thanks.
It's hard to quantify really... the fluff is your basic high fantasy fare. The crunch is dry to read and some of it doesn't sound that great when you read about it.

But playing the game... is just fun.

Maybe it's because I have a good DM (that certainly helps a lot). Maybe it's because the 3.5 game I'm in is an exercise in frustration (that certainly doesn't help me enjoy 3.5e). The thing is, from level one I felt like my character was useful and contributing to the whole party - instead of firing off my one spell for the day and cowering in a corner, praying that nobody noticed me.

We've been playing the 4e game for several months now and our characters are 5th level. However, even since the beginning, the game has played like 2e did in the "sweet spot" from 5th-12th level. All classes have cool powers (so the fighter won't be hating life as the mage overshadows everyone at 20th level as in previous editions) and using those powers together as a team make you really feel heroic.

This is, of course, my opinion. Everyone has their own preferences and tastes.

Last edited by Zhul; 24th October 2008 at 09:29 AM.
Zhul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2008, 01:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhul View Post
p.s. Not to derail the thread, but is this the same Breandan from the GU Comics forums?
Yep, the same
Old 2nd November 2008, 01:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breandan View Post
Yep, the same
Awesome! Welcome to TOG!