Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others > Pen and paper games

Pen and paper games Discuss ADND, Warhammer and other PnP games here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 3rd November 2008, 12:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 43

Default Some Different Games

Hello everyone,

Well since I'm a semi regular GM I thought I'd post here.

I GM a small social group in Melbourne, we used to play a lot but life has gotten in the way for quite a few people so we usually gather every other weekend. Some other people run games from time to time, however most of the time it comes down to me.

My forte is Call of Cthulhu but at a pinch I can run D&D (2nd/3rd/4th), Rolemaster, Vampire the Masquerade, Alternity, Deadlands and All Flesh Must Be Eaten.

Lately however I've tired of running stat heavy/rules heavy games. All of my players bar a few are consumate min/maxers who also like to argue rules, rogues are a particular pet hatred of mine as they always seem to argue what constitutes "combat advantage" or sneak attacking.

So lately I invested in some story heavy/rules light independant games for a change of pace, with my one caveat being that dice must still be involved. Diceless are larping is a weird and uncomfortable place.

The first one we've actually played is Dogs in the Vineyard. The players take the role of Mormon styled travelling lawmen who have a duty to keep the faithful on the straight and narrow. Every town they visit has a hidden sin that must be uncovered and delt with. The novelty of this game is that there are no wrong actions, the players have ultimate authority and really have to answer to themselves or each other when they pass judgement on someone. Quite often when winning a conflict the players narrate the outcome, not the GM. It ended up being quite fun.

The other ones I've got are Polaris: Chivalric Tragedy at the Utmost North, Grey Ranks and Don't Rest Your Head. I'll be sure to post about them when we're done.
Cynicide is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 5th August 2009, 08:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 5

you are experienced one, respect to you