Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others > Pen and paper games

Pen and paper games Discuss ADND, Warhammer and other PnP games here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27th July 2009, 04:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 646

Lurking
Default Descent - A Boardgame

Hey guys,

I am just wondering if anyone out there has invested in or has at least played the board game called Descent from Fantasy Flight Games. I am currently looking into purchasing this and I was wondering what peoples thoughts were in regards to this product. Pros, Cons, Likes, Dislikes, etc.

Cheers,
Medicated

◄█|||(<>)|)||█Ξ[▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓)
medicated is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 28th July 2009, 10:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Journalist
Retired Journalist
Competent - Post: 415

Buzzed

I'm after this one as well, but it seems most places in Australia are sold out atm My mate has played it and said that it's a 'modern day Hero Quest', but I assume from what I've read it's a little more complex.

Let me know if you find somewhere in Aus that sells it and has stock
Old 5th August 2009, 01:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 646

Lurking

Hey Zero,

My wife just ordered me a copy of Descent from a place called Paradise Games in Sydney. They do free shipping.

Also a couple of the Mind Games shops here in Melbourne have a few boxes as well for it, in addition to all of the expansions. Seeing as you are in NSW, you may be better off ordering it online.

Cheers,
Medicated

◄█|||(<>)|)||█Ξ[▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓)
medicated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2009, 08:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Average - Post: 166

Goofy

Descent is a really good game that does play like a more advanced Hero's Quest, although designed for a more mature audience (ie more difficult and complicated). The best part of the game is the tactical aspect and co-operation needed by the party. Combat isn't just a case of charging in every time as often you need to consider simply getting out of the way. One weak link in the team and the Overlord (DM) can really turn the game in his own favour.

The games themselves can last upwards of 4-5 hours with a 4 hero party, so it does take a fair bit of commitment. I wasn't overly impressed with the dungeon tiles but that is a relatively minor complaint when stacked up against just how fun it was.

To truly experience Descent you simply must get a hold of the campaign expansion which sees your party battling across a campaign map in order to stop the Overlord from achieving his secret goal. It plays like a D&D campaign and thus you generally need somewhere to keep everything set up, but the reward is definitely worth it. We ditched 3.5 to play this instead.
Smerbev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2009, 08:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Retired Journalist
Retired Journalist
Competent - Post: 415

Buzzed

Thanks medicated I actually managed to get a copy from Mind Games in Canberra when I was down there last week Haven't played a game yet but so far impressed with what it seems to offer.