The Older Gamers Forums

The Older Gamers Forums (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/)
-   Pen and paper games (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/pen-paper-games/)
-   -   Dresden Files RPG (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/pen-paper-games/310724-dresden-files-rpg.html)

Mesar 26th July 2010 01:42 PM

Dresden Files RPG

Just received my Dresden Files RPG books after following their journey for about five years.

OMG What a great system!

DFRPG uses the FATE system, based upon FUDGE, under the Open Gaming Licence, and is set in The Dresden Files universe, by Jim Butcher.

DFRPG uses an interesting system where the City is like a NPC and the first few sessions revolve around statting the City with plots, characters and subterfuges as a group session. The subsequent character creation is then tied directly into the City, and the PCs are tied into each other by having quick headline back stories starring each other. It's an elegant system that forges strong relationships between PCs and the setting.

The Dresden Files setting would be best described as modern horror, with more humour than World of Darkness. It would be perfect for a Buffy the Vampire Slayer style game, where most of the PCs have at least some supernatural talent, but don't get huge advantages over those who choose to be "vanilla" mortals.

Highly recommended for people who like story driven games.

HenriDeacon 27th July 2010 09:00 PM

Nice, i have been looking for a city based RPG system and checking this one out.

Zhul 28th July 2010 10:32 AM

I got my book a week or so ago and I get to try it out tonight. :) BTW, the Dresden books are great (and a pretty easy read too). I've plowed through 3 of the books in a week (though having long periods of time to read in waiting rooms probably helped).

HenriDeacon 30th July 2010 01:33 PM

The novels are also available as audio books, which is great because you can just sit back and really get absorbed in them.

fantomas 6th August 2010 12:30 PM

Still waiting for my books to arrive from the USA. :(

Have been reading the PDFs and our group have started doing char and city creation (set in Melbourne Aust.)

Zhul 7th August 2010 04:14 AM

We had our first session last week and we started creating Memphis, Tennessee (I don't really know why the other guys chose that city, but oh well). We also got the majority of our character creation done as well. It's going to be an interesting system to play!

Ariya 8th August 2010 03:14 AM

Just started reading the books and love it so far :)

Mesar 10th August 2010 02:26 PM

Yeah the Jim Butcher books are awesome!

Re-read the whole series about 5 or 6 times now and they're the only fiction books I currently own. (I mostly purchase non-fiction)

Note that if you want to read the series, I usually start my friends off on the third book, Grave Peril. The first book was done by Jim as a university project, and isn't as well written as subsequent books.

Once you've become invested into the character, Harry Dresden, with Grave Peril and Summer Knight, you can go back and read the first two books.

Zhul 14th August 2010 01:58 PM

I started from the beginning (Storm Front) and I thought it wasn't bad. It was interesting to see his style evolve and grow. I do have to agree though that by the third book he hits his stride and the writing style is just amazing.

(I'm currently halfway through Dead Beat - no spoilers please! :) )

Mesar 17th August 2010 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zhul (Post 2873283)
(I'm currently halfway through Dead Beat - no spoilers please! :) )

A word of caution, the RPG is very spoilery and contains information up to the 10th book.

Best to get on with the series (and they are very quick to read) before diving into the RPG setting.