Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others > Pen and paper games

Pen and paper games Discuss ADND, Warhammer and other PnP games here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30th October 2010, 01:43 PM   #101 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Officer On Leave
Elite - Post: 3520

Tired

In terms of character choices, in SR it isn't bad to have double of of skills being covered. Unlike most other RPGs where the GM kills you if you split from the main party (cos it's a pain in the ass to manage multiple groups) in SR it's often required that you split into groups to get multiple objectives completed simultaneously.

Angles that are good to have covered (but very rarely can one party cover them all):
Mundane damage dealers (several, but everyone can generally contribute here)
(Melee, short, medium, long range)
Non-lethal takedown
Magical offence
Magical defence
Magical utility
Heavy weapons
Demolitions
Infiltration
Breaking and entering
Mundane investigation
Matrix investigation
Magic investigation
Transport/travel
Drones (combat and/or surveillance)
Social skills (Con/negotiation/etiquette)
Hacking
Tech skills (programming, electronics, auto-mechanic, weapon modification etc)

And that's just off the top of my head. I'm sure there is more!

Old 30th October 2010, 05:22 PM   #102 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 113

Breezy

Poor, poor Syke.

He was a young offender when it happened. The goblinization, I mean. He went from big, dumb criminal to bigger, dumber cyclopian troll. And an awakened, to boot.

Stuck with an IQ less than his shoe size, a criminal SIN and the tendency to kill everyone in sight when in combat, he doesn't make friends easily. This makes him very, very sad.

Could you, would you find it deep in your souls to accept this vibro-blade adept and ease his suffering by paying people, tough people, to be his friend? With a weapon dice pool of merely 19 and 4 initiative passes, this poor cyclops will never find acceptance without your help.

Please, call today and make Syke's life better than it would otherwise be, without your help. Thank you, and god help us. Uh, I mean, god bless. Was he listening? Oh no... Oh, no no no no, Syke. I didn't mean it. I swear. I swea---Aauuugghh! (Camera goes blank, sounds of screaming are heard for approximately 6 seconds, then a picture comes back on. You see a humongous troll peer about the room with his one eye, looking for the people who were going to find him friends, and finding them... well, dead. Flopping to a cross legged position, he begins to cry, his tears washing away the splattered blood on his face. Will nobody ever be his friend?)

Last edited by wizen; 30th October 2010 at 05:49 PM.
wizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2010, 02:28 AM   #103 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Competent - Post: 433

A lot of time I find flawed characters more interesting to play.

The only Vampire: TM game I ever played I did a Malchavian that had photographic memory but could never remember the right thing at the right time. He'd recall details from something completely not related.
Old 31st October 2010, 04:12 PM   #104 (permalink)

Breezy

I'm sorry if I'm a little bit overeager or aggressive with regards to getting my shadowrun on. I'm just really, really, really excited.
Old 31st October 2010, 04:53 PM   #105 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Officer On Leave

Tired

I'm the same. Well almost the same. I'm not sorry about it. :P
Old 1st November 2010, 04:36 PM   #106 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4349

Goofy

How are you guys converting your SR4 character sheets into PDF?
Old 1st November 2010, 06:00 PM   #107 (permalink)
Journalist
Dangerous - Post: 695

Sleepy

I'm using a virtual PDF printer: PDF Converter - Convert to PDF free with doPDF
Old 1st November 2010, 06:12 PM   #108 (permalink)

Breezy

Same here, but mine's open source.

PDFCreator | Download PDFCreator software for free at SourceForge.net
Old 1st November 2010, 08:11 PM   #109 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4349

Goofy

Need your input guys. What would you change?

I am working on the history for this character ... but in a "nutshell" the character is an Adept who specializes in finding missing people.

"People go missing for all kinds or reasons. Sometimes they get lost, some times they just don't want to be found and sometimes other parties don't want them to be found. No matter why someone (or something) goes missing, all of the people I look for have one thing in common ... someone else wants them found and they are willing to pay my fee to make them appear!"

All abilities and gear are focused around locating people no matter where they went (urban, rural, wilderness, etc.)

Notes: Under Adept powers Improved Combat ability 1 = Pistols, 2 = Blades.

There was no option to pay for grades of glasses or contacts so I bought a number of pairs equivalent to the rating (so the character only has one pair of contacts with 2 options and 1 pair of glasses with 4 options.)

Thanks in advance
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Adept Investigator.pdf (12.1 KB, 5 views)
Old 1st November 2010, 08:21 PM   #110 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Officer On Leave

Tired

I just use a pdf printer program i found by googling. Just behaves like a printer on your comp, but prints out a file.

Mongrel, I like your character. Those knowledge skills and contacts are going to come in very handy. You may want to consider getting your body up to 4 which will let you wear the armour jacket with no encumbrance penalty.
Vision enhancement on the glasses will boost your perception which is something it sounds like your char focuses on. Also you might want to think of a soft take-down option for those marks that don't actually want to be found. Shock gloves would work with your unarmed skill.

Docwagon contracts are not all they are cracked up to be. Unless you never run against corps, that is. If you get wasted 2cm inside a corp facility Docwagon wont touch you. You could put a lot of that money toward a weapon focus or a sweet vehicle, or both! That said of course, you get wasted anywhere outside a corp facility, they could easy be the difference between life and death. However, runners, no matter how antagonistic, do look after each other. A runner gets a rep for leaving his team for dead or returns alone from one too many runs... He's not going to find much work. More likely someone else's work will find him.

Last edited by Justin Kace; 1st November 2010 at 08:35 PM.
Justin Kace is offline   Reply With Quote