Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others > Pen and paper games

Pen and paper games Discuss ADND, Warhammer and other PnP games here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26th October 2010, 12:35 PM   #41 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 113

Breezy

Yeah, sure. Dropped in the middle of what remains of russia, perhaps hired by the same group responsible for the mysterious disappearance of the nuclear weapon mistakenly fired at the former soviet union during the longhorn(?) incident?

Yes, I've been reading the history in the core book.

Edit: But that would involve some custom adventure writing, and I'm not sure how far Chris wants to go down that particular rabbit hole.

Suffice to say, I'm pro-ex-military group.

Edit2: Sorry, I'm not pro-ex-military, as that implies a high level build from the start, what with all sorts of training and the guys in The Losers being special ops.

I think we need an idea from Chris about what sort of thing he has in store for us, and we can decide from there what kind of character we want to play, and what would motivate our character to take on this job and join the team.

...Are we gonna have a 'Face', or just one or two of us with negotiations skills?

Last edited by wizen; 26th October 2010 at 04:55 PM.
wizen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 26th October 2010, 08:16 PM   #42 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Officer On Leave
Elite - Post: 3520

Tired

Ok here’s my primary option. I tend to wax a little eloquent so I’ll make a real effort to keep it brief. :P (Guess I made a bit of a mockery of the brevity...)

Bethany is a female troll who was a member of a happy and relatively well off corp family until the age of nine when she underwent genetic expression. Her family knew that a troll child was going to be unacceptable to their parent corp and chose to abandon the child. They still had loving happy memories of their daughter-that-was, so they talked to someone-who-knew-a-guy-who-could-talk-to-someone, and found a foster home for her in a part of town that looked upon trolls with a little more acceptance.
The foster family took the money that was offered for her care but didn’t treat Beth very well at all. She was treated as a third class family member and forced to assist with the foster family’s income by performing menial labour. She was regularly smacked about, told how worthless she was, had food withheld, was forced to sleep in the laundry or kitchen, and was pretty much treated as the house slave.
After about a year of this she came to the realisation that as a ten year old troll, female or not, she was actually physically stronger than anyone else in the family. Quickly following on from this realisation was one that she didn’t have to put up with her beatings any more.
One night her drunken foster father, on returning home from the pub, suggested she cook him some eggs. She told him maybe he would like to cook his own eggs (or words to that effect), and the resulting altercation left him with a broken jaw and a few cracked ribs. It left Beth with a new-found respect for her own ability to look after herself, but unfortunately (or not), without a place to call home.
Life on the streets of the Seattle Barrens (or somewhere more appropriate to the campaign) was rough, but while the new Beth was pretty ugly, she was most certainly not stupid. She quickly learned the basics of life on the streets. How to spot a sympathetic mark, which gangs to steer clear of, who controlled what areas and how tetchy they were about trespassing trolls. She also developed a strong sense of sympathy for anyone in a hard spot, and as she got to know her community, she came to care and look after the people even less fortunate than her. She found a mentor in a local street doc who had a similar sentiment and provided care to the needy of the neighborhood. She would help him on his rounds and he taught her basic healthcare in return for her much appreciated assistance.
The doc also helped her through a rough patch when she started having particularly vivid dreams and sometimes even waking hallucinations. She was terrified she was losing her mind, but with a bit of patience and some clever testing, the doc had some more interesting news for her. Not only was she a troll, but she was also a recently awakened troll! Unfortunately it seemed that the development of magical awareness came with a price for Beth. She had almost overnight, developed a severe allergy to soy, which made for a pretty unpleasant complication in her diet. Luckily for her, a trollish constitution allowed for the consumption of many things that other people might not even be able to look at.
Beth was not particularly fussed about this new development. Her doc said she was a mage, but what good was that if she didn't know how to do anything with her new abilities? Doc was insistent that this would change Beth's life and could be exactly what she needed to pull her up out of the life of hardship that everyone else in her community was forced to live by circumstance. Beth wasn't so sure she wanted to be pulled up out of this life of hardship. She was getting by just fine and had found a place in the world where she was appreciated and wanted. Whatever the case, doc was able to pull some favours and Beth agreed to at least some very (very) basic training in the use of the mystical arts.
And a taste was all Beth needed to make her realise how much more she could do for her community with more knowledge of how to use her magic. She couldn't afford any tutoring, but she hungrily devoured any material she could get her hands on, and slowly but surely she was able to develop her skills.

Skip forward a bit and you'll find an older, more cynical Beth. She's 18 now, still living in the same community, helping doc with his rounds. Her magical skills have come a long way, but are far from fully realised. Her allergy has helped keep the rat population down. She's made lots of friends in the community, and lost many as well. She's seen a lot of the worst of what goes on in the sprawl. Pulled bullets out of friends, held their guts in while they have cried and died. Seen death by gunfire, disease, double-cross, starvation, exposure, you name it. She doesn't believe there is a lot of goodness left in the world these days, but she'll be damned if she doesn't do what she can to make life a little more bearable for her friends. And lately she has found another way to make a bit of extra nuyen. It seems that in the shadows, once word gets out that you're a mage, the work comes to you...

I can't upload the file here. Invalid file type. Without the sheet to tee up the skills with the background it's just a sad little story, but oh well. Hopefully it has a happy ending. I used the SR4CharGen prog that Mongrel linked to earlier. Chris if you give me an address or somewhere you'd like me to upload it I can do that. She's all legal SR4 standard rules. If we end up with more or less build points I can modify accordingly and if she just doesn't fit in, like I said I have plenty more options.

Last edited by Justin Kace; 26th October 2010 at 08:46 PM.
Justin Kace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2010, 08:39 PM   #43 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4349

Goofy

Allergy to Soy must have earned her a fair chunk of BP. Soy is in almost everything in SR

Nice back ground, I was especially moved by "Pulled bullets out of friends"; I will make sure my rigger gives her as much cover as he can!

I just hope she brushes her teeth before she smiles ... my Dwarf may toss his cookies if he sees a rat tail caught between her teeth!

On a side note, check here out: http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=510879

There is some outstanding artwork that is SR related. Look through all the pages, the art gets uber on the last couple of pages.

Last edited by Pure Mongrel; 26th October 2010 at 08:44 PM.
Pure Mongrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2010, 08:49 PM   #44 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Officer On Leave

Tired

Yep, that's a common/severe right there! Almost everything a low to middle income wage slave would buy off the shelf is probably loaded with soy, including drinks! Rat-kabob anyone?

Edit: Yeah crap... If only I kept drawing when I was a kid! That's a nice collection of piccies. I might scribble out something matching up with my look for Beth, but it's likely it'll embarrass me and I'll throw it out. :P

Last edited by Justin Kace; 26th October 2010 at 08:55 PM.
Justin Kace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2010, 09:10 PM   #45 (permalink)
Journalist
Dangerous - Post: 695

Sleepy

Got room for one more?
Old 26th October 2010, 09:40 PM   #46 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Officer On Leave

Tired

The more the merrier, except maybe the GM would disagree with that...

But yeah, you'd only be our fourth player I think? I'm with you in the never done any RP other than face to face over a tabletop too. I'm a little nervous of the almost definitely slow pace too, but I reckon it's worth a shot!

Edit: Ooops, you didn't say you hadn't done it, just it hadn't worked for you!
Old 26th October 2010, 10:58 PM   #47 (permalink)
Journalist
Dangerous - Post: 695

Sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Kace View Post
The more the merrier, except maybe the GM would disagree with that...

But yeah, you'd only be our fourth player I think? I'm with you in the never done any RP other than face to face over a tabletop too. I'm a little nervous of the almost definitely slow pace too, but I reckon it's worth a shot!

Edit: Ooops, you didn't say you hadn't done it, just it hadn't worked for you!
I did, years and years ago. Figured it was time I gave it another shot - new technology and whatnot.
Old 27th October 2010, 12:37 AM   #48 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Competent - Post: 433

This is coming along great.

I want each of you to come up with the character and background you want to play, I will tailor the setting to that. I'm only going to enjoy this if you all are enjoying it also so I do not want to set hard limits.

So for right now work on the backgrounds for your individual characters first and be happy with that. Once that is all done we will work together on how every meets up and were we are.

If no one wants to play a face I have no problem making a Bosley like character and play him on your behalf but he'd only be around for contact and negotiation purposes.

And, bookbuster, of course there is room. Welcome to the team.

On the game forum can we get an out of character section under Shadowrun? I'd like to start moving discussions like this under there just so it is all under one roof when we start playing.
Old 27th October 2010, 03:37 AM   #49 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Competent - Post: 433

Everyone, please PM me your email address. I am setting up a folder in my Dropbox account where we can work on character sheets and such.
Old 27th October 2010, 07:32 AM   #50 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4349

Goofy

Chris, I am happy to play the Face if you want. Although my idea for my character is different to wizen, our abilities come from the same place as it were, so he can cover (at least in part) what I had in mind if he had / wanted to.

That being said, there is no reason I can't play a Face that loves "his RC hobby".

Just as long as I am still a Dwarf I am happy. I will just have to make this Dwarf "for the ladies" and far less inclined to socialize with technology than with "Meat Bags".

The more I think about it, the more I am sure can make it work.

Ok ... so he is a negotiator and social adept, but that does not mean he can't have a drone watching his back or ready to step in if talks "go south". Add to this his need to keep those Nuyen making good looks free of scars and bruises, seems only smart to do his fighting by remote control .

Anyone who claims he operates the way he does because he is a egocentric narcissist who fears getting his hands (or heaven forbid his clothes) dirty ... may be right, but they will never get him to admit it, nor will they think it is a bad thing when he brokers a better deal or send in his "toys" to cover their backs.

Would this work for your game mate?