TOG Latest

Chris Roberts Recognises the Star Cit...

The rising interest in Star Citizen in TOG has gai...

Warthunder heard throughout TOG

The sounds of Warthunder is being heard throughout TOG

Dota 2 Release

DOTA2 Released.

Planetside 2 Release 20-Nov-2012 PST

The long awaited and critically acclaimed PlanetSi...

Division Latest

TOG MindCrack - Mining, Machines, Mag...

TOG's MindCrack Minecraft server offers all that's...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Machines and magic in Minecraft - 'Fe...

Over the vacation period, a "Feed The Beast" Mod p...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others > Pen and paper games

Pen and paper games Discuss ADND, Warhammer and other PnP games here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27th October 2010, 09:56 AM   #11 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4319

I recently wrapped up my 4e campaign of 16 months where we played every other week. 4e really rekindled my interest in the hobby - and it helped that a friend at work felt the same so we could get a group together. I am playing in that friend's campaign which has been going just as long as mine (meeting once a month) and will wrap up in December, another friend just started another 1/mo game, and we're doing a round-robin DMing game every other week to replace the one I ended. I honestly haven't gamed this much since college, and it's a blast. Of course, I don't have any kids to worry about, so I have more time than most folks with family duties.

Computer games can be a lot of fun, but I have to agree that tabletop games give you something more. One of our last sessions had us fighting on a bridge over a river of lava. A computer game might have certain effects programmed in, but you are still constrained by the game's design (possibly leaving you to only fight on the bridge). I was able to have my character throw one of the bad guys off the bridge into the lava - only to have him pull a balrog on me and try to drag me down with him. I was thinking on the fly and so was my DM. It's cool stuff like that I find videogames lack. Not that that's a bad thing, it's just a different form of entertainment.

Old 27th October 2010, 10:27 AM   #12 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Officer On Leave
Elite - Post: 3520

Tired

Also in a computer game, the rules are not flexible. One of the things I love in TT is when something goes wrong and you all just have to adapt to the situation, GM included. The GM can just make something up that fits, or ignore or modify a particular rule that doesn't make sense and stands to fudge immersion.

Although that can go both ways and is one thing that can frustrate me in TT rp. Sometimes you play with people that treat the rulebook like a bible. When I play I love developing a picture of what is happening in my head. When you are forced by the rules to use a halberd to effectively dispatch a sleeping enemy in a small tent, even though logic dictates your nice sharp skinning knife would make a lot more sense... Well the only picture I get is my fool character flailing about with his polearm and getting tangled up in the tent and waking the whole camp.
Old 27th October 2010, 05:56 PM   #13 (permalink)
Division Vice Captain
Team Fortress 2
Dangerous - Post: 893

I have most of the core 4e books sitting on my shelf at the moment. Unfortunately they have only been read by me and never used, I know absolutely no groups or people in my area that play. So if a online TOG game ever got started I'd be ecstatic to play!
Old 4th November 2010, 11:42 AM   #14 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 12

I'm an avid pnp gamer and I tend to prefer it to crpgs when I can get a good group. I've been involved in a online 4e game with Wizen for a while now and I am looking to the Shadowrun game that is going to start. I am one of those gamers that will just buy the book and read it even if I may never play the game if it looks cool enough.
Razorwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2010, 02:04 PM   #15 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4298

Goofy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorwire View Post
I'm an avid pnp gamer and I tend to prefer it to crpgs when I can get a good group. I've been involved in a online 4e game with Wizen for a while now and I am looking to the Shadowrun game that is going to start. I am one of those gamers that will just buy the book and read it even if I may never play the game if it looks cool enough.
Me too. I have far more books than games I have played

I should catalog them one day ...
Old 5th November 2010, 01:59 AM   #16 (permalink)

Most of my collection is up in the attic but I have tons of old games and game systems up there, like early edition AD&D, TORG, Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, All my OWoD stuff (there is a ton of that), I recently picked up the NWoD Mage and Werewolf, and the new Warhammer FRP.
Old 5th November 2010, 09:44 AM   #17 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4319

D&D has always been a kind of "base camp" for me. I have books of all the editions except 3.0 (I was on a tabletop gaming hiatus back then). I have more books in some editions than others, but I enjoyed them all. I have a slew of GURPS books, Rolemaster, Space Master, Dangerous Journeys, and a bunch of other titles I can't think of off the top of my head.

Recently I got The Dresden Files RPG and I have to say the production values on it is just amazing. It's also pretty fun if you have a creative group. Lately I've been eyeing up Savage Worlds and Deadlands as interesting alternatives to D&D.
Old 5th November 2010, 01:29 PM   #18 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4298

Goofy

Star Wars (D6) was my "go to" RPG. Easy rules and almost every new player knows the Star Wars universe to some degree ... makes life very easy.
Old 6th November 2010, 12:24 AM   #19 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 18

Goofy

I'm playing DnD 4e atm with a few mates of mine about once a month or whenever people are free anyway. But also have enjoyed L5R that was a great setting I think and Vampire RPG was also really good for the roleplay side of things.. Not a real big fan of 4e DnD though much prefered 3.5e as it didn't feel so mmo ish but I'll take what I can get for a fix.
Angakoq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2010, 12:55 AM   #20 (permalink)

I like the change to mages in 4e. They have always been to limited for me to play in the past but the change to continual use spells makes them fun to play.