Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others > Pen and paper games

Pen and paper games Discuss ADND, Warhammer and other PnP games here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 1st January 2012, 11:58 PM   #21 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 100

One reason that this section may not get as much of a workout is that it is actually pretty hard to find without a concerted effort, and is a sub-forum of something else. I have been playing pen and paper for years, and am currently playing pen and paper with the use of a virtual tabletop and ventrillo. I had been wanting to advertise the game I play in, because my GM is looking for new players, but it took a while to locate the appropriate place for it. Just thought I'd let you know what my experience was with it.

It might be worth figuring out a way to bring it under it's own heading somewhere.

Redsatyr1228
redsatyr1228 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 19th January 2012, 12:59 PM   #22 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 92

I'd love to get into d&d, specifically 4e but i've never found a stable online group willing to take on a complete (and i mean total) novice, and tt groups in my area are very clique-y and insular, which means they dont really take up new players either. They usually dont even let me sit in and watch a game unfold so i can get an idea of how to play by watching.

I think that a lot of people suffer the same problem, and thus can never get into it. Generally groups are already established and have a good rapport going within their circle, and to introduce new players is kinda tough on a campaign.
Mephiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2012, 10:24 PM   #23 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 3

Shocked

I am new to this thread.

I play in 2 differant groups on 2 differant nights per week. Both groups are 2nd Edition.

Even after playing since 1983(when I first started playing 1st Ed), the content is still new and unique. We play our own player created worlds.

The one big thing to remember in ALL RPGs is, "The only limitations in gaming, is YOUR IMAGINATION"
Glump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2012, 12:02 PM   #24 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Deadly - Post: 1680

Cynical

I play RPGs on PC these days but used to play quite a lot in the 80s. TBH my favourite gaming past time is miniature tabletop gaming. If you know nothing about it have a look at The Miniatures Page sometime. Currently I'm painting 28mm Carthaginians and just finished writing an army list for ancient rules "War and Conquest" based on the army of the Roman general Sertorius. So much more interesting then what we do in online games, fun as some can be.

I'm finding playing games online less and less appealing as the people seem to be getting less and less civil so much so that I daily question why I bother.
recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2012, 10:02 AM   #25 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 25

Busy

The hubby and I play Pathfinder right now. Our real group is at a stalemate with two people unable to play, so right now it's just the hubby and I whenever we have enough energy to stay up late on a Friday or Saturday evening.

We were taking turns watching the kid and playing D&D on the days the rest of the group was available. We've been playing with this group for 3 or 4 years, now, and we can't wait for someone to become available again so we have enough to play with them.

I really prefer pen and paper way of playing because it stimulates my imagination more than computer games. Don't get me wrong, I love my computer games, but they're nothing like being face to face with a group of people. We also play video games with the same group sometimes.
Zriza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2012, 11:01 AM   #26 (permalink)

Zriza,

Have you considered playing using Virtual Table Top (VTT)? One of the problems that we always had was getting people together locally. Sometimes it was hard to find a space, and others it was hard to find a group willing and able to come together regularly enough. There are a few VTT sites out there (Map Tool is one of the most popular), as well as a few sites (like Obsidian Portal and Infrno) where you can link up with gamers. I live in South Korea, and have been playing for almost two years in a Savage Worlds campaign with folks in California, Oregon, and Tennessee. (Drop me a PM if you want any specific information).
Old 27th July 2012, 09:37 AM   #27 (permalink)

Busy

I played with our Maryland group online for a while. I don't really have time for it, now. If the baby is home, there's no keeping her away from me long enough for me to play. It's not really fair to the rest of the group for me to randomly /afk every 10 minutes.

Thanks for the offer, though! I would if I thought I could make it work. I usually go to bed around an hour after the baby, which usually isn't enough time to get something worthwhile done. I used to stay up until 2am every workday. Having kids really changes everything :P
Old 27th July 2012, 10:10 AM   #28 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 74

Cold

I only started playing D&D recently (in my thirties!) as it wasn't really around when I was a kid. If it had been, I'm sure I would have played it then too. But I happened to make friends with someone whose husband and his uncles have played for a long time, and started a game where two girls who had never played before were welcome. I'm really enjoying it, and I'm glad they tolerate me dragging the tone of the conversation down into the gutter on a regular basis
We play 3.5e usually once a fortnight if everyone is available. About to start a Midnight campaign in a few months.

Trowzers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2012, 01:12 PM   #29 (permalink)

Zriza,

No biggie! Kids do change everything (just wait until they're old enough to play with you, though!! LOL). I raised three daughters, the youngest is now 18, and they loved playing once they got old enough to understand it...

Trowzers,

Glad you got the chance to play!! (I know *any* of the groups I played in back when I started (first ed guy here), would have been over the moon to have girls be interested in the game, much less actually play. For the most part, they treated us like we had the plague...LOL)
Old 28th July 2012, 03:26 AM   #30 (permalink)

Busy

I can't wait until the kiddo can play She's 2 now, so it'll be a while. Once she can entertain herself safely for more than 5 minutes at a time, we can bring her along and (both) play.