Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others > Pen and paper games

Pen and paper games Discuss ADND, Warhammer and other PnP games here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20th October 2010, 08:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4298

Goofy
Default So how many of you guys play these games?

This section of the forums does not get as much of a workout as the others and I was wondering why?

Is it that most of us are just Video gamers, or are there players out there that also play paper and dice RPG, but don't feel TOG is the forum to discuss these games?

Old 21st October 2010, 03:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Officer On Leave
Elite - Post: 3520

Tired

I imagine most TOGgers are video gamers, with a smattering of old school pnp rpgers.

I still have a huge soft spot for pnp rpg, but i just don't get the chances I used to. Moved to another city (country) and left my gaming buddies behind. Have found a couple of people over here that I play with on occasion, but we are all family men now and opportunities do not always coordinate themselves.
Old 22nd October 2010, 10:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 113

Breezy

There is absolutely no experience like the freedom of action and choice in pen and paper games.
Old 22nd October 2010, 01:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Goofy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizen View Post
There is absolutely no experience like the freedom of action and choice in pen and paper games.
Well said! +1
Old 25th October 2010, 01:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 776 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

I'm currently roleplaying in 4 different games I week. 3 are face to face, one is over skype
fantomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 02:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Goofy

Nice one fantomas. How does the skype one work?
Old 26th October 2010, 06:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Deadly - Post: 1250

Sneaky

Personally, table top RPG doesn't suit a casual play type. Oh sure I could do a pick up group at a Con, but we all know what pick up groups are like....

So I like to role-play but find it hard to make the time, where as video games I can fit into my lifestyle.

You are stood on a narrow road between The Land and whence you came. - MUD1
Mesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2010, 09:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Journalist
Dangerous - Post: 680

Sleepy

It's hard to find RPG groups that work online, I think. There are too many barriers in the way. PbEM, for example, has never worked for me - takes too long. And it's never as fun sharing anecdotes or telling people about your PC when they weren't there.

Currently, I DM a DnD 4e game for six people, five of them tabletop virgins. It's proving interesting, since it's my first time DMing as well, learning what my own strenghts and weaknesses are. Going to start playing in a Darksun campaign in the near future to, or so I hope. I'd love to get away from DnD for a while, though. I miss playing other genres - I love WoD and Deadlands in particular.
Old 26th October 2010, 09:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Officer On Leave
Elite - Post: 3520

Tired

Tabletop can suit casual, although only really by necessity. Myself and the fellows I still game with in Melbourne are lucky if we can get together once every couple of months. We still get our fix, not as often as we like but we have to make do.
Old 27th October 2010, 07:13 AM   #10 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Goofy

I don't know if it is a "resurgence", or if it is just because I have only just recently returned to the hobby, but I am glad TT RPG is still going strong.

I was of the belief that with the advancements in technology and the creation of MMORPG that it would die out completely.

For all it's beautiful graphics and unlimited genres, computer gaming (in the foreseeable future anyway) can not give the player the freedom and unlimited potential that a paper and dice game can.

No matter how vast the game world, how many adversaries it is populated with and how many expansions get made for it, a computer game is defined by the rules it operates by and the limitations of a finite number of possibilities to govern any situation.

The player of a computer RPG can only play the races / class available. That player can only travel to predetermined / prerendered places. Said player can only respond in a set number of ways to a puzzle, adversary or situation. She can only use a tool, weapon, spell or ability as defined by a programmer. As this type of player you are told the story, you do not create it or effect it beyond anything that is an already set possibility.

With a paper and dice game ... everything is possible. The only limits are your imagination. Now how freaking cool is that?