Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others > Pen and paper games

Pen and paper games Discuss ADND, Warhammer and other PnP games here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17th May 2013, 08:55 AM   #11 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 5139

Amused

Very nice Bort, a lot of great titles there. It's difficult to find game shops in Brisbane so I get most of mine from Ebay (England is about 30-40% cheaper) and some from Games Paradise when they have their sales.

There is a definite genre of Strategic games which are popular on places like Boardgamegeek. They look good, the quality of the components are great, and they play really well. Some of the games are not well known which makes them fun to discover.

Last edited by HenriDeacon; 17th May 2013 at 09:06 AM.
HenriDeacon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 17th May 2013, 09:40 AM   #12 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 2648

Goofy

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenoph View Post
How's Battlestar Galactica?
Its good fun. Takes a while (up to 3 hours, depending how things go). The cylon angle is cool. Really captures the theme of the show.
Bort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2013, 11:20 AM   #13 (permalink)

Goofy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenriDeacon View Post
It's difficult to find game shops in Brisbane so I get most of mine from Ebay (England is about 30-40% cheaper) and some from Games Paradise when they have their sales.
No, there arent many. The only one I've been to is the one at Northlakes shopping centre, its not a bad store, but prices are up to twice what they are online.

Personally, I found Games Paradise pretty slow to get stuff out their door, and had to wait 5 weeks for a refund on an order - their communication was awful. Search bgg - so many bad stories for them.

I buy now from Milsims (when they have stock), Games Empire, Pinnacle Games - all Australian stores I've had no problems with. Ozgameshop (based in the uk) have good prices and free shipping - and a 10% off voucher at the moment.
Old 30th May 2013, 04:14 PM   #14 (permalink)

Goofy

Another good family game is Castle Panic (as featured on Tabletop). Its pretty simple for all ages - match the card and its colour to an area and colour on the board. Theres a few twists of course - various boss monsters, giant boulders etc

The base game is fairly simple - I probably wouldnt have bought it by itself, but the expansion (The Wizards Tower) adds a lot to the game. Much more variety of monsters (climbing trolls, goblin cavalry, gargoyles etc), and also mega bosses with more hit points than anything in the base game, and special rules when they come in. These things are nasty!

Luckily they even things up with the wizard cards, which have some devastating effects.

Biggest change is that buildings and monsters can now be set on fire, and who doesnt like to set things alight?

Its a pretty challenging game, I've played it twice, and won neither of them (damn giant boulder crushed my last remaining tower in one game).

Not sure how much strategy is involved. Maybe more when you have a few players, since you can trade cards around. You can rebuild walls with 2 cards, so if you have one of those, you have to decide whether its worth waiting for the other one, or discard and hope you get an attack card you need.
Old 31st May 2013, 10:31 PM   #15 (permalink)
Division Captain
Arma
Elite - Post: 4939 TOG Gold Level Supporter

OK, picked up Catan today, going to try and convinve the inlaws into playing, wil try and start a trend. Beautifully made game. Looking forward to it.

Per ardua ad astrospud
astrospud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2013, 10:05 AM   #16 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Amused

Last night I bought Zombie Dice, Talisman Sacred Pool , Mage Wars, Mage Wars Forcemaster vs Warlord and Small World Be not Afraid, all on sale... Woot

In the next few weeks i'll try to host a boardgame on the forum where some TOG members can join in.
Old 1st June 2013, 10:39 AM   #17 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 340

Breezy

i have saved a few games from my teenage years to play with my boy when he grows up these incule Hero Quest and Space Marine. But looking at these post it looks like i can update this with some quite intresting games
Stitchedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2013, 10:57 AM   #18 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Amused

Hey Bort, out of the games you have pictured, which would be your top 5 or so favs ?

I'm tending to look for games that have a lot of replay value.

I checked out the Garden City ToysRUs last week and they had nothing but the mass produced mind numbing games.

Last edited by HenriDeacon; 1st June 2013 at 11:24 AM.
Old 1st June 2013, 11:55 AM   #19 (permalink)

Goofy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenriDeacon View Post
Hey Bort, out of the games you have pictured, which would be your top 5 or so favs ?
I would say Bang!, Dixit, King of Tokyo (all good, easy to learn games)

And then Space Alert (a personal favourite, although not to everybodys taste), Pandemic

I've had a few games of Castle Panic lately, and I really enjoy that. I can see it getting a little repetitive, its basically the same thing each time - but its challenging and exciting still.

I've played a couple of games of 7 Wonders at my last couple of game nights, and just had to buy it. Great fun, lots of variety, it doesnt drag on, which is great for a game that supports up to 7 players. Very little downtime, because everyone is making their play at the same time, but you have to watch what your neighbours are up to as well. Looks complicated, but is actually a very simple game to learn.

I have an ever growing list of games I havent managed to play yet, I really should be working on those instead of buying more
Old 1st June 2013, 12:50 PM   #20 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Amused

I know what you mean. Spending a lot of time watching game reviews and buying

Trying to get a few purchases in before the Aussie $ drops too far.